"It has to be a different set"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZOOTVTOURist said:
[BBlue Room
Good view. Now, some wishes might be "out of the stratosphere" - but let those guys dream a bit. And: Who would have thought, that U2 would play eight (!) songs from BOY (including the snippets), five from the OCTOBER/WAR period and the massive bunch of six tracks from ACHTUNG BABY - so far? [/B]

Hey, go ahead and dream, there are songs I would love for them to do that are highly unlikely. My problem comes in when people just complain over and over or act shocked that U2 are not mixing it up or playing X song. They just are not paying attention or are just trying to stir things up with those reactions to me and I think that is ridiculous.

Regarding the songs you mention, I dont count snippets as songs being played. But they did pull some songs out this tour I would have not expected. But they pulled out most of those songs pretty much since tour rehearsals. So they are part of the standard somewhat for this tour. To expect them to continue to add more and more like that is not how U2 operates. More will be added most likely, but I wouldnt expect huge changes.

Re: Re: Re: "It has to be a different set"

zwervers2 said:
Going to three Amsterdam shows so they HAVE to mix it up there since they LOVE Holland and such. but what if you were in Brussels..
:huh:

I was in Brussels, saw 2 hours of my favourite band playing live and had a great time. Should everyone there have been miserable or something???

@Blue Room

Come on - we all don't know, what U2 will do regarding the running order/ setlists. There's nothing sure, what we can expect - instead of a rock band doing a really great job on stage (5 shows attended, all 5 were great!). So this makes it surely the most surprising, freshest U2 tour, I've seen since 1992. Is that really so bad? I don't think so - I like it ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: "It has to be a different set"

cdparky said:

I was in Brussels, saw 2 hours of my favourite band playing live and had a great time. Should everyone there have been miserable or something???

If someone is as big of a fan that to post threads and responses on this forum really should realize that U2 never changed their setlists over the years anyway. To say I'm "shocked, appalled...." or any other negative thing I guess could be justified as saying that it's their opinion. It doesn't have any merit though. I've seen these guys every tour since the War tour and religously followed them ever since. They never varied setlists at all, between JT and ZooTV I attended 11 shows some in consecutive nights and even then they rotated maybe two or three songs out. I just don't see the real big bitch about this subject.

CDPARKY hit it right on the nose.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "It has to be a different set"

YBORCITYOBL said:

I just don't see the real big bitch about this subject.

CDPARKY hit it right on the nose.

That's actually my point, too. Thanks god, U2 have for every tour an album to play, that is new and has always had at least some strong tunes on it.
Plus, they'd like to play a bunch of "Gretest Hits" from their past - often in new version or varying between acoustic/electric - and still have the will to perform/sing suprise-songs and snippets. Every tour has had chosen tracks for fifferent topics and reasons - so has the in my opinion excellent VERTIGO tour, too.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
@Blue Room

Come on - we all don't know, what U2 will do regarding the running order/ setlists. There's nothing sure, what we can expect - instead of a rock band doing a really great job on stage (5 shows attended, all 5 were great!). So this makes it surely the most surprising, freshest U2 tour, I've seen since 1992. Is that really so bad? I don't think so - I like it ...

Who said I was bitching about the Vertigo tour?? Any U2 tour is great. I'm just saying those that post here typically know U2's history and if they dont they can just look at a few threads and get the jist of it. So when they come in here shocked or appalled about the semi static setlists, they are not paying attention.

I think U2 could come up with a little better setlist structure, but like I said previously, the current one is decent.

Blue Room said:

Who said I was bitching about the Vertigo tour?? Any U2 tour is great. I'm just saying those that post here typically know U2's history and if they dont they can just look at a few threads and get the jist of it. So when they come in here shocked or appalled about the semi static setlists, they are not paying attention.

I think U2 could come up with a little better setlist structure, but like I said previously, the current one is decent.

if you dont like the show why dont you sell your tickets to someone who would?

Again, who said Blue Room was bitching about the Vertigo tour OR the setlist? Read the post again - he/she's not.

Chizip,

Now THAT was a stupid response! :laugh:

Either it was a joke, or you just illustrated what I'm talking about with people not reading before they post. :laugh: Either way its funny.

Last edited:
but in seriousness, yeah U2 has always played static setlists on their tours, so we should expect the same for this tour, and i do expect that

but U2 has changed the way they've toured before, see ZooTV. they modified their touring style to stay cutting edge and really pioneered a type of show many bands tried to copy in the future. well we are now in the information age, where everybody can get all the information about the shows before they go to them. it would be nice if U2 had it in them to remain cutting edge and modify their touring style again to be better suited for the information age. yeah its a pipe dream for them to go to more variable setlists, but dont tell me they wont or cant do it since its not their style, because they have already proven to us once that they can drastically change their touring style and make it work beautifully.

Blue Room said:

Ahem, Blue Room - I didn't say, you are bitching about the tour or U2. So maybe you just relax a bit, okay? Because I guess, we all here don't disagree that much to make it worth discussing every nuance for ages ...

Back
Top Bottom