If Miracle Drug had a better arrangement live, it would have been better.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
It just sounds rushed when performed live, like the band is trying to get over it quickly...

If they actually stretched it out into a 5 minute song, it would receive better recognition and response from the audience.

It felt especially rushed when Bono talked for 10 minutes before the song about Edge being from the future....

It was my favorite song on the tour.

It was ok live , better on the album indeed.
Especially during Edge`s solo , on the album it just explodes.

But I liked the Yeah...Woah...bit on the 2nd & 3rd leg better.
When Bono lets the crowd sing along.
On the 1st leg Larry playbacked the Backing Vocals.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I think the song was as good live as it was on the album. It seemed like a song that could take off live and be a highlight. While I think it was good, it wasnt a highlight to me. Apparantly they worked on a version where it built towards the end and Bono belted out the Miracle Drug chorus like he does the "Sing" in Sometimes. Sadly I dont think they ever attempted it at a show. I think that could have possibly made the song a highlight.

I also thought the blue tracer lighting for it was very cool. The tracer lighting on the ellipse was one of the cool aspects of the lighting on the indoor leg in general for me.

rock888nwo said:
miracle drug...the rare u2 song that it actually better on the album than it is live

I agree. Not very often that the album version is better.

clerks said:
It felt especially rushed when Bono talked for 10 minutes before the song about Edge being from the future....

It was my favorite song on the tour.

What shows did you see?

they should have skipped the 5 min talking before it and jumped right into it.

They should have skipped the long talking, and made the WHOA and YEAH's better. Also, I wish Bono would have sung the "God I need your... help tonight." And then The Edge just explodes into the solo and his lines. I heard it at the concerts I went to and the bootlegs I have and I can't figure out why it is just... "eh". I really don't think I will miss it on this tour, although I think the album version is just outstanding.

that was the thing that's missing.. the crowd singing the WHOAs and YEAHs and Bono going "God I need your help tonight... SHOUT!!", like in the BBC Radio One performance, the best in my opinion.

I really want GOD I NEED YOUR HELP TONIGHT for the 4th Leg :drool:

PS: the VIOLIN part should've been better... I mean, they could've pull it off better with like an orchestra ensamble, not just 1 violin... and other notes too... maybe flowing with the rest of the music

the violins were like another song :|

Last edited:
I actually imagined this song to be a sort of tornado live, I was thinking the final solo would have last much longer and becoming different as the album version. The speeches before this song were quite often too long, and got the song a bit boring. Yeah, definitely, this song needed another arrangement, it's the first time that I like an album version better than a live version, in the case of U2. The only different thing was that string arrangement at the final chorus

It was too stripped down. I know they like to take out some of the backing on the live performances, but as said, the cd version is much stronger. I don't like the live version of SYCMIOYO either. I don't like the guitar tone in it. Sounds too thin

the piano/synth part was missing, it had a big part in the album version, atleast in the beginning

I heard it in Boston in May and I loved it.
There is an extremely special young woman in my life who dedicates that song to me as her miracle drug. She and I were both at that concert, though not together, and myself, an adult male, cried when they played the song while I watched her from so far away knowing we were thinking of each other, both hearing it at the same time.

The "Woaah" "Yeaah" are ESSENTIAL...
Especially the "woooAAAAHHHHH" where he's like "fuck yeah, my voice is solid"

tommycharles said:

Stay, I Will Follow, One, Pride...

If your saying the recorded version is better than the live version of those, I disagree.

Stay as done live on the Zooropa tour was as good as the recorded version to me. Same for Pride, on the Unf. Fire and Joshua Tree tours when Bono was belting out the main chorus live still it was as good as the album. One I actually think is better live. At the very least its on par with the recorded version. I Will Follow is without a doubt 100 times better live than the recorded version. Its why the band decided to release live versions later on as B sides because they though it was better. :shrug:

I especially liked the live version of this song at both Anaheim shows. The first night Bono introduced the song by mentioning the pope was on his death bed and the second night the pope had passed away. He spoke about meeting the pope and how the pope tried on Bono's sunglasses. The version was subdued but very powerful. I don't know, it just conected with me.

Vegas #1 we got the Edge is from outer space intro. I don't think we got an intro at all on Vegas #2. I think it was dropped from the setlist soon thereafter.

I must say I loved Miracle Drug here in Lisbon... I was quite surprised because I read many negative things about its live rendition... but it was great

dont like this, dont like that, dont like the way he done this

sounds very very familar for this forum

I think if there wasn't a big speech, and the song was slowed down a bit, and Edge played piano and guitar, split like New Year's Day, it would have flowed better. Bono could have got the audience to sing back to him the Ohs, it would have been better.

Back
Top Bottom