I Will Follow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Paradise

The Fly
I've yet to see "I will follow" on any of the setlists. I will not be angry if they dont play it in Denver or Boston, but disappointed. How do you feel about U2 leaving "I Will Follow" out of the setlist?

I don't miss it at all. And I bet neither the band does. They have played it almost 700 times live. Give it a rest a bit.
There are much better songs on Boy which are performed on this tour(The Electric Co.!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:)

I do miss it. It looks like Electric Co/An Cat Dubh/Gloria have taken its place.
Personally, I am happy, but I can understand how a lot of people may miss it and others going for the first time would like to hear it.

I think we'll see IWF and OOC substituted once in a while as the tour progresses.

Surprises me they didn't put it in the set, it was played at the promo gigs. On SNL, they got an unusual third song to play and they picked IWF. It's a classic, a crowd pleaser, and should be put in the set. At least once every couple nights.

I'm gonna miss the crowd jumping and singing in unison, "if you walkaway walkaway, I walkaway walkaway, I Will Follow". The thought of it gives me goosebumps.

I really hope that they don't play it. I'm so tired of it, there are other songs that they can play instead of it like The Electric Co or Gloria. IWF has been play way too much, give it a rest.

TheBrazilianFly said:
I really hope that they don't play it. I'm so tired of it, there are other songs that they can play instead of it like The Electric Co or Gloria. IWF has been play way too much, give it a rest.

I suspect you have not been alive long enough to appreciate what IWF means to U2 fans who have been there since the beginning. Its not your fault, I suppose.

The Paradise said:

I suspect you have not been alive long enough to appreciate what IWF means to U2 fans who have been there since the beginning. Its not your fault, I suppose.

What? What the fuck does that have got to do with it? Man, do I fucking hate this kind of attitude! You mean just because I'm not a fan since Boy I wouldent know how much this song meas to the fans? Well then I guess the band doesn't know either! In my opinion it has been overplayed and the band is a little tired of playing it every show (and so am I of hearing it) and that's probaby why they havent played it so far. It's time to give a rest and chance to other songs as old as IWF to be played too.

I love I Will Follow, but if they add another Boy-era song, I really would prefer Out Of Control. The two songs are very similar to me in terms of feeling, but the end of Out Of Control "ooooooooooohhhhhhhh!" is what wins out -- for me at least.

I agree with the sentiment that I Will Follow has been overplayed. I'd love it in the setlist and it's such an awesome tune, but if it's a choice between I Will Follow and another old tune that we've rarely seen since the mid-eighties, then I'll take the latter, definitely. The Electric Co. is the highlight of this tour for me.

TheBrazilianFly said:

What? What the fuck does that have got to do with it? Man, do I fucking hate this kind of attitude! You mean just because I'm not a fan since Boy I wouldent know how much this song meas to the fans? Well then I guess the band doesn't know either! In my opinion it has been overplayed and the band is a little tired of playing it every show (and so am I of hearing it) and that's probaby why they havent played it so far. It's time to give a rest and chance to other songs as old as IWF to be played too.

You'll get over it

The Paradise said:

i would have to disagree. i think that fans that have been there since the beginning are very amped at this point to hear electric co. and an cat dubh and gloria again. if that means they skip i will follow for a while, it is worth it.
i think the main argument FOR i will follow is for the non-die hards wanting to hear it. for some fans that do not know the whole catalog, i will follow seems to be one of the only songs they know all the words too.
i'm sure they'll throw it in the setlist sooner or later.

caragriff said:

i would have to disagree. i think that fans that have been there since the beginning are very amped at this point to hear electric co. and an cat dubh and gloria again. if that means they skip i will follow for a while, it is worth it.
i think the main argument FOR i will follow is for the non-die hards wanting to hear it. for some fans that do not know the whole catalog, i will follow seems to be one of the only songs they know all the words too.
i'm sure they'll throw it in the setlist sooner or later.

Nobody is more excited to hear An Cat Dubh/ Into the Heart/Electric Co/Gloria than me, trust me. My only point is that I will miss I will Follow. Who said we have to sacrifice IWF in order to hear the others? :sad:

The Paradise said:

Nobody is more excited to hear An Cat Dubh/ Into the Heart/Electric Co/Gloria than me, trust me. My only point is that I will miss I will Follow. Who said we have to sacrifice IWF in order to hear the others? :sad:

good point.
but i gues the answer to that question--who says we have to sacrifice i will follow? -- is that
apparently the band says so....for now :)

The Paradise said:

Who said? How bout the fact that U2 cant play 25 songs a night. So, something has to go. And they dont wanna have that many songs from Boy in one night. IWF will be in the rotation eventually. Prolly not till late in the Europe leg nad back in America in the fall.

After hearing over 1,000 bootlegs, I'll be happy as hell if I can finally hear An Cat Dubh and Electric Co live. It'll be like taking a time warp back in time. Which is exactly the kind of feeling when I heard I Will Follow and Out Of Control the first time live. I cant wait!

Back
Top Bottom