I don't get how...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
U2 can build a big stage, for a stadium, have 80,000 people in it, and just play a normal American arena setlist.

The stage in Brussells took over a week to build and it kind of sounded like the show was a disappointment.

Tonight in Germany, songs like "Crumbs From Your Table" "With Or Without You" "Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "All I Want Is You" were rehearsed, but unlikely to be performed...

I don't get this, why does U2 not change up their setlists? You would think outdoor stadiums would be more festive and a good opportunity to get the foreign crowds to sing along with some of their older songs.

I don't get this.

U2 has never drastically changed setlists during tours. I don't understand why you are surprised.

I dont get it either. Anyone that is a fan of this band and owns bootlegs or has read anything about them live from the past would not expect much if any variety live. The fact that U2 has two different main setlists on the arena leg was shocking by their standards. The fact that they even changed up the setlist at all for the 2nd show which is another single night show is also a surprise. U2 have always done it this way. Its what they feel works best for THEM. If you hadnt read any of the setlists or been to prior shows before going to tonights show I guarantee you that you would have thought it was at least decent.

Crumbs is coming, they have worked on it enough to where they plan to play it. They just dont quite have it down to a point where they think it is ready yet. I think when they play a 2 night stand is when you will see more variety. I just wonder if they will open every show with Vertigo on the Euro leg. I hope not, I thought it was cool they were using different opening songs on the arena leg.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
The fact that they even changed up the setlist at all for the 2nd show which is another single night show is also a surprise.

Yeah, that really got me! I was amazed to see Beautiful Day took the second spot. I was hoping that the set might change up as this is the first time U2 has done the first leg in arenas and the second in stadiums, but there's a difference between hope and expectation. And I feel some of that hope was fulfilled in Vertigo opening - this is the first time since Lovetown that a tour has had three openers (though that was, of course, realised at Chicago IV). I too hope to see some opening variation on this leg, though, and I'm really looking forward to the Manchester and London dates.

i can't believe how spoiled people are here, to be honest. we're lucky enough to be fans of a band pushing 30 years. think how many fans of other bands have been repeatedly dissapointed by deaths or break-ups, while we sit and bitch about what songs the band are playing when we're not even at the show.

get a life. this moaning is really getting old.

Last edited:
Even the Elevation tour had rare songs played, and one show in Chicago had a ZOO TV style setlist...

Elevation had: I Will Follow, Out Of Control, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, Wake Up Deadman, Gone, Discotheque, Even Better Than The Real Thing, A Sort of Homecoming...

That's just a few of what was played during Elevation.

I don't know why Vertigo has not changed yet.

Seriously, have you guys even seen the video clip of the Zoo Station performance at Brussels. Europe has NO reason to complain at all with performances like that.

theu2fly said:
Even the Elevation tour had rare songs played, and one show in Chicago had a ZOO TV style setlist...

Elevation had: I Will Follow, Out Of Control, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, Wake Up Deadman, Gone, Discotheque, Even Better Than The Real Thing, A Sort of Homecoming...

Yes, because WGRYWH so did not get played for the first time in 12.5 years at Boston III. I was imagining things and was really hearing Mysterious Ways. Thank you for curing my delusion. Vertigo has had the same setlist every show. I see the light. U2 suck.

theu2fly, you need to take a look a the past setlists overall. You list some songs done on Elevation. But some of those were only done a few times and typically on multiple night stands or a special occasion and most of it was done towards the end of the 2nd leg or on the 3rd leg. Vertigo has had just as much variety as Elevation had at this stage.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
theu2fly, you need to take a look a the past setlists overall. You list some songs done on Elevation. But some of those were only done a few times and typically on multiple night stands or a special occasion and most of it was done towards the end of the 2nd leg or on the 3rd leg. Vertigo has had just as much variety as Elevation had at this stage.

Blame it on high hopes then, I was expecting something to break away from Elevation also.

Geez, I know, we are not even a third of the way into the Vertigo tour, it stinks! :laugh: How about you reserve judgement until the tour is over.

Its funny you compare Vertigo to Elevation like Elevation was so much better, then when its pointed out that Vertigo has had just as much variety at this stage. You then imply that Elevation was a disappointment also. So which tour are you pointing to that gave you these "hopes"? You acted like it was Elevation in your prior posts. :shrug:

why can't they play like they did during Popmart again? btw, Popmart sucked ass. they should have kept it the same as their shitty ZooTV tour.

I guess being a fan means you have no right to criticize a band,is that right Mikal? Should we just accept everything the band does as perfection? Or are we allowed to love a band but wish they did some things differently?

MusicalJourneyman said:
I guess being a fan means you have no right to criticize a band,is that right Mikal? Should we just accept everything the band does as perfection? Or are we allowed to love a band but wish they did some things differently?

if you really want me to give you a serious response, i suggest coming up with something a little more intelligent than that.

try again.

That was a serious response. When people dare to criticize U2, you tell them to shut up or quit moaning. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can because I don't think you could handle much more than that.

the funny thing is the difference between reading the set online and being there is huge. when i was at the 3 shows I saw on the first leg all the songs I thought I was tired of (on paper) were highlights. i loved the lapoe-sbs-bullet trilogy. pride was great. streets still the best live song ever. i even really like elevation.

i talked to many different people after the shows that i would consider casual fans- often times i would ask what they thought of the setlist. every single one thought it was great, and usually the reply was "i heard everything that i wanted to". the only thing close to a complaint was- "i'm suprised no wowoy". u2 is playing to satisfy the majority, and i'm ok with that. the really cool thing to me is that on the 1st leg they actually made some changes for the die hard fans (an cat dubh/into the heart, the ocean, gloria, electric co.)

u2 knows what they are doing when the put a setlist together. everyone is entitled to want to hear different songs- but overall these shows are exceptional. i for one am very pleased. (maybe with the exception of vertigo x2- but even that i can live with).

MusicalJourneyman said:
That was a serious response. When people dare to criticize U2, you tell them to shut up or quit moaning. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can because I don't think you could handle much more than that.

der......ur write......im a stoopid ideot keep it simpol!!!1111

It's only been two shows in the stadium leg, let's wait a little before Crumbs, Electrical storm and the rumoured Zooropa/Pop songs (and anything else they may have planned) show up.

U2girl said:
It's only been two shows in the stadium leg, let's wait a little before Crumbs, Electrical storm and the rumoured Zooropa/Pop songs (and anything else they may have planned) show up.

U2 should be able to play every single song from thier whole history on the whim of every single fan on each single night.

C'mon everyone we're not even close to being halfway through this tour let's just show some patience.

In all of the tours I've seen these guys they really never mixed things up all that much from night to night anyway, I don't see how anyone could be "surprised" at all.

Axver said:
U2 has never drastically changed setlists during tours. I don't understand why you are surprised.

Axver you being the uncrowned setlistking,although I dissagree :wink: what do you think of the setlist I posted earlier..This is the way they could play wihout changing too much

0 Everyone
1 All because of you
2 Out of control or I will follow
3 Elec co.
4 Gloria/ocean or An cat dubh/into the heart
5 Elevation
6 Beautiful day
7 Miracle drug
8 SYCMIOYO
9 LAPOE
10 Sunday bloody sunday
11 Bullet the blue sky
12 Crumbs
13 Running to stand still->-----human rights-----
14 Streets
15 One
--------------------
16 Zoostation
17 The Fly
18 Untill the end of the world
19 Mysterious ways or Who's gonna ride or Gone
---------------------
20 City of Binding lights
21 Vertigo
22 Original of the species or Yahweh or WOWY or Bad
23 Bad+40 snippet or 40 or 11 o'clock(on very special ocasions)

theu2fly said:

Since when has Until The End Of The World and I Will Follow been rare songs?

A Sort Of Homecoming was played like, once?
Discotheque was from the album before, and it was a single = not rare at that time.
Wake Up Dead Man could be considered rare.
Gone was not treated rare :wink:
All I Want Is You is also a big single ergo not rare.
Even Better Than The Real Thing could be called semi-rare, yes, but still not as rare compared to the songs the Vertigo tour has brought up:

The Electric Co.
Zoo Station
Party Girl
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
(Running To Stand Still - rare?)
"40"
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

We get rare songs. People still complain :huh:

Back
Top Bottom