Grr.. what happened to Zoo Station & Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMoFo

Babyface
I'm seeing them in Dallas next week and was really really hoping to hear one or both of these... have they been dropped completely? I haven't seen them in many recent setlists :(

There was a rumor because of Larry's fatigue, that his wrists hurt playing those big numbers...

Also, it could be that Zoo Station and The Fly were meant for the outdoor stadiums, instead of indoor arenas.

Just a thought.

theu2fly said:

Also, it could be that Zoo Station and The Fly were meant for the outdoor stadiums, instead of indoor arenas.

except that they played these two songs at most of the shows during the first leg, which was indoors.

No one knows. You might be in luck. As there playing Houston the night before and Dallas the following night. If they decided to play Zoo Station or The Fly I would think it would be the 2nd night of a back to back. Plus it'll be a Saturday night!!!!

theu2fly said:
There was a rumor because of Larry's fatigue, that his wrists hurt playing those big numbers...

The more I think about this, the less I buy it. If it's Larry's wrists, the acoustic set would come in the middle of the main set to break up the intensity of drumming for over an hour straight. Why give him a rest for most of the first encore when he's just had one break and has another coming up before the second encore? You don't need a break after a break!

Maybe they wanted to vary the set more and got tired of playing them everynight?

I don't care, they should be played EVERY NIGHT, along with Bad

theu2fly said:

Just a thought.

Does he have carpal tunnel? If so surgery will correct it after the tour. In any event, it is unfortunate they have dropped The Fly & Zoo Station.

For drummers and percussionists, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a common problem that affects the hand and wrist causing pain, numbness and a decrease in functionality. It may be viewed as a form of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). A wrist support or brace is standard initial practice for CTS sufferers. This maintains the wrist in a stable neutral position which keeps the tunnel as wide as possible, it should give some relief.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Maybe they wanted to vary the set more and got tired of playing them everynight?

I don't care, they should be played EVERY NIGHT, along with Bad

Totally agree :yes:

Look on the bright side, we'll get 2 DVDs that feature the performances of the songs! :)

Axver said:

The more I think about this, the less I buy it. If it's Larry's wrists, the acoustic set would come in the middle of the main set to break up the intensity of drumming for over an hour straight. Why give him a rest for most of the first encore when he's just had one break and has another coming up before the second encore? You don't need a break after a break!
Quite logical.

I think people are just going to have to accept the fact that U2 wanted to change these songs. They just got tired of playing the same stuff over and over again, and these were among the ones to get voted off the island.

Q: Why do they play acoustic songs like The First Time?
A: Well, duh, because they like to!

theu2fly said:
Look on the bright side, we'll get 2 DVDs that feature the performances of the songs! :)

True. :yes: Very happy about that.

Ah, ZS and The Fly are just mind blowing live! :faint:

I'm so glad I went to the first Toronto show, because it's the only one where they played Zoo Station.

And I have to say, it was one of the greatest moments of my life;)

When I saw Bono doing the ZooTV throwback silhouette on the big screen, it was so great. He even did the needle in the arm bit.

Unreal.

On the outside rail with Edge pumping his fist at us and yelling "alright, alright, it's alright!"

Absolutely unbelievable. I took my sister to the wednesday show and I wanted her to see the Zoo Station bit so badly cause I've shown her the ZooTV dvd's...and they didn't play it.

Well let's look at it this way:

Larry (despite his injury) likes the hard stuff

Dallas is October 29

Larry's birthday is October 31

In essence, this is Larry's birthday show, so maybe it'll be his say on whether or not to rock the fuck out

Well, a guy can dream can't he? I really want to see these songs in Dallas too.

PG Canada said:
I'm so glad I went to the first Toronto show, because it's the only one where they played Zoo Station.

Not quite - they did it on the 10th of October at the third NYC show. It was also in the original set for the second NYC show but they didn't do it then ... :sigh:

I'd trade in Zoo and Fly if they just brought back the re-arranged Discotheque :-\

2-for-1 special at the Pop Mart, anyone?

I'm so pissed that the best part of the tour is gone...
U2 are making the same mistakes they did in 2001, when they deleted their best and most rocking songs (Gone, The Fly, Mysterious Ways) from the Elevation Tour Leg 3...

djerdap said:
U2 are making the same mistakes they did in 2001, when they deleted their best and most rocking songs (Gone, The Fly, Mysterious Ways) from the Elevation Tour Leg 3...

at least they had an excuse in 2001 with the 3rd leg coming after 9/11, but now, i really dont know what they're thinking. i've heard the edge wasn't that happy with discotheque, but it was absolutely mind blowing and everybody here pretty much agrees, so i think the edge is a little :coocoo:

djerdap said:

I think thats debatable obviously. They changed up the setlist, something most here were screaming for. Zoo Station and The Fly were great. But I saw that on the first leg. I love that I get to see something different on the third. I actually like the third leg encore. I guess thats just me though judging by some of the responses on these setlist threads.

While Zoo Station and The Fly were definately among the high points of the show when I saw them, I think the most likely reason they have been dropped is that the band just want to mix it up a bit (they are playing most cities for the second time on this leg after all).

The reason they didn't mess with the main set is probably because I think U2 are believers that once they find a main set that really "clicks", they should just stick with it and spread it to as many cities as they can.

Also, I'd have to agree with Axver's logic regarding Larry's wrist. With that in mind, it does seem unlikely that that is the reason that ZS and The Fly were dropped.

I can't wait to see the setlist from Houston.. hopefully that gives us a good idea what they have in store for Dallas!

Three days!!

Back
Top Bottom