Goodbye old friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
It appears that what many have considered the best part of the Vertigo show has faded away only to live on in our memories.

The Zoo babies followed by spine tingling rocking versions of Zoo Station and the Fly once reminded us all that was right in U2 shows, and in the world. But now, this combo appears to be gone forever, with faint hope it could make a rare appearance in a city with multiple dates.

Now this would be easier to take if it was replaced by equally amazing rockers Mofo and Discotheque, but apparently U2 has decided to go with the adult contemporary route for the first encore.

Don't get me wrong, I love the First Time, but the encore should open with a rocker. Here's to hoping the Chicago 9/20 show's encore becomes the norm and the shows following it are just an aberration.

But it doesn't look good :sigh:

I wonder why they changed this part? It's almost like they replaced this part with the rumored acoustic set.

I wish I knew their thought process. How cool could it have been to have them alternate between Zoo/Pop encores and not necesarily every night 1 Zoo and every night 2 Pop but just randomly alternating and then one 1 city stops using either.

It wouldn't even have to be 3 songs it could be 2 songs ZS/The Fly - Mofo/Discoteque. Alternate between WOWY & ISHFWILF and then there's room to still randomly do The First Time/WGRYWH/Fast Cars/CFYT with the ocassional Bad/40 closer.
It still leaves the skeleton of the choreographed portion of the show intact.

Why is this so hard? Do you think they make these decisions based on what they thought was better for the show? Did someone tell them that 1st encore sucked?

I saw the Zoo encore 8 times but I never really got sick of it, I would prefer them mix it up during other parts of the show (not the 1st encore) and I was really looking forward to seeing the Pop songs.

I wonder if I will now.:(

I'm really sad too, to see the ZooTV encore dissappear. The new encore looks interesting, but its way to slow or too much of a downer. Hopefully, maybe, U2 will make the popcore a reality with a week off and plug Mofo in the set.

Encore 1
Mofo
Discotheque
The Fly
(After the Fly, they will have to take a 15 minute break to put the fire out)
Who's Gonna Ride/First Time (Switch)

Encore 2
All Because of You
Yaweh
Bad/40

:drool: :drool:

I totally don't believe this and I think some of you are panicking way too soon. If you ask me, this is simply a way of U2 holding time before they debut some new material with a setlist order that they're comfortable with. I mean, opening an encore with The First Time? Like that's going to hang around for the next 42 shows.

Of course, the irony here is so many people were pleading for variety - I guess they only wanted variety if it meant they got their favourite songs.

Blue Room said:
Discotheque will be back next week. Guarantee it.

it better, this version of the song kicks your ass then sleeps with your girlfriend and you love every minute of it.

Chizip said:

it better, this version of the song kicks your ass then sleeps with your girlfriend and you love every minute of it.

Maybe I should keep my wife at home when I see them in Houston :wink:

Axver said:
I totally don't believe this and I think some of you are panicking way too soon. If you ask me, this is simply a way of U2 holding time before they debut some new material with a setlist order that they're comfortable with. I mean, opening an encore with The First Time? Like that's going to hang around for the next 42 shows.

they were able to play discotheque/the fly and the first time in the encores at the first chicago show. so why would they hold off on that now? i was at both chicago shows and while bad is a great song and good to hear, something just seems missing without the punch in the face type songs to open the encore.

and now they've gone 3 shows in a row without discotheque/zoo station or the fly to open up the encores. and as u2 are creatures of habit, that is a bit of a scary trend.

but in any case, i think this does spell the end of the magical zoo station/the fly combo except for maybe a show in new york. and since, in my opinion, it was THE highlight of the vertigo tour the first couple legs, it will be missed and fondly remembered.

but if losing that combo means rocking pop songs to open the encore, then i will be excited. if it means more slower/accoustic songs in the encore, then there will be a void.

The Zoo babies :drool:

I want either of these:

---
Discothèque
The First Time
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Vertigo :wink:
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
The First Time/Bad/"40"

Chizip said:

I'd sleep with Crumbs From Your Table.

Axver said:

Of course, the irony here is so many people were pleading for variety - I guess they only wanted variety if it meant they got their favourite songs.

Maybe I am panicking too soon. It's this week off that making me a bit antsy.:crazy:

Maybe I'll go a Church tomorrow and light a candle for Fast Cars. :crack:

I loved the ZooTV opening.

And I looooooved the Discotheque surprise in Toronto.

Both of those are better than a slow song. And the new Discotheque is just :drool:

The Zoo TV moment was also one of my favorite moments on the Vertigo Tour and I'm sad that it's gone right now (and extremely happy that I got to see it!!!) but I don't know if it's gone forever. I'm almost certain it will be brought back to one or two of the five NYC shows. I would love if they played in one night a Zoo TV encore and then in another night a POP encore. Like this:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Discotheque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

That would be perfect I think. I also don't like the encore starting with two slow songs. The impact and flow of the show is bigger and better when it's with the rockers. Plus those versions of Zoo Station and The Fly are their best versions ever. Istill don't know why they stoped playing mysterious Ways. This version is the best version of the song since Zoo TV. It got me loving the song once again and the band was playing with a lot of passion again.

Dallas played Discotheque before U2 came on in Milwaukee, when he was fiddling with the dials and widgets that run the Edge's sound. But they didn't play it. :(

TheBrazilianFly said:

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Discotheque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

:drool: they SO need to bring back DYFL. I have a live version of it and it's really pretty good, but not good enough for U2 I guess...I think it's 'cause it was so hard on Bono's voice. But I'd love to see them try it again now...

Discotheque will be back. No way you make an awesome song like that, make it ten times more awesome (as if that were possible?!), have all these fucking killer light effects and shit, and then only play it twice. I fully expect Discotheque and likely Mofo in Boston...Popcore, anyone?

AtomicBono said:

:drool: they SO need to bring back DYFL. I have a live version of it and it's really pretty good, but not good enough for U2 I guess...I think it's 'cause it was so hard on Bono's voice. But I'd love to see them try it again now...

Discotheque will be back. No way you make an awesome song like that, make it ten times more awesome (as if that were possible?!), have all these fucking killer light effects and shit, and then only play it twice. I fully expect Discotheque and likely Mofo in Boston...Popcore, anyone?

They dropped DYFL because they thought it didnt work as a live song. Edge said it in an interview during the POP era. I disagree, but if thats what they thought then I doubt they will have the urge to give it a shot now.

I just dont think MOFO is on the way. At least not soon. Maybe the end of the NY stand, but I'm not sure about that. Its more likely a different POP song will turn up or be snippeted over it IMO. :shrug:

it seems like they very nearly did the Pop Musik/Mofo thing but then backed out....Discotheque was good but the absolute perfect interchangeable part of the set would be Zoo Station/The Fly for Mofo/Discotheque. They even had all the slot machine stuff worked out... I guess they just weren't happy with Mofo.

The highlight every night in Europe was the Zoo encore, but Mofo in a packed stadium would just have been too perfect. Seems odd that the US is getting the pop songs, when they rejected them first time around.

What was the Popmuzik Vertigo intro like? Did they do the slot machine and all? Next time someone meets Bono ask him to play more Pop. Forget telling him how great he is or how much U2 is so important in my life. WE NEED MORE POP :wink:

pepokiss said:
someone should make a banner that says: "PRIDE / STREETS / ONE / CRUMBS... for AFRICA"

ooooor

"MLK / Streets / Crumbs for AFRICA

Mofo / Discotheque / Last Night on Earth / Dirty Day / Please / Ultraviolet / Love is Blindness for ME"

Chizip said:

I have to agree with this only exchange the girlfriend part for boyfriend - made me go back and listen to the song again - such a perfect live version

plus the fly with a Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car snippet:drool: (it is very possible I said a non-ladylike word when that snippet happened)

I loved the ZooTv encore of the first leg. But that being said, there was a U2 well before ZooTV and PopMart you know. And they had some measure of success if memory serves right. The encore at my first U2 show in 87.

MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
People Get Ready

Hardly rocking, but nobody was complaining, believe me. I thought Chi 9/21 was an encore for the ages, but only time (and a high quality video boot) will decide that.

Back
Top Bottom