Electric Co out, Mysterious Ways in = crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Electric Co. was the best surprise I had at Lisbon, I never thought it would be so cool. And I would prefer much more to see Ultraviolet instead of MW which is cool but a bit overplayed

MW was super-cool on Zoo-TV , big intro , great solo and the bellydancer:wink:

On Popmart it was alright , it was alright, alright.

I never was fond of the Elevation version of MW though.

Vertigo tour MW is just fine but nothing new.
Don`t see a way of topping Electric Co wich is played maybe even better than in the 80`s?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

MacPhistoPT said:
Electric Co. was the best surprise I had at Lisbon, I never thought it would be so cool. And I would prefer much more to see Ultraviolet instead of MW which is cool but a bit overplayed

Totally agree re: UV, that would be great.

How much of an unknown/obscurity is Electric Co really? I know if't not the commercial success that stuff like MW, WOWY, One etc are, but I know in my early U2 fan days everyone I knew who had a U2 tape/liked U2 had Under A Blood Red Sky. Electric Co was great on that album...I'm surprised that many fans wouldn't recognize it, vs. say An Cat Dubh or even Out of Control. Does that make sense? Or am I totaly off, and not as many fans have UABRS as I thought?

i'd guess maybe 10% of the crowd knows what Electric Co is. its kind of a shame that because u2 is so big that so many casual fans show up, nothing against them but it kind of takes away from the atmosphere a bit. everybody goes crazy during the big songs like Pride and SBS, but when the best songs come on, like Electric Co, Zoo Station, or The Fly, most people just stand there because they don't know what the songs are.

What U2 don't understand is that when we say we want variation, we want them to vary certain songs and not others!;)

Yes, Electric Co is one of the best parts of the show.

When are we rotating out Pride-Streets-One again?

Too bad Elec.Co didn`t got played last night either ( Miami 1 ).
That`s three shows in a row it`s left out:mad:

Yeah....they really should rotate the Pride-Streets-One part indeed , great thought Niceman.
But I don`t think it wil happen:(

Next tour ( or maybe on Vertigo leg 4 ) they should leave out Pride and One entirely.
Both songs are too overplayed and Pride is so boring.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Mauwer said:
Too bad Elec.Co didn`t got played last night either ( Miami 1 ).
That`s three shows in a row it`s left out:mad:

Actually, it's four shows in a row now. :sad:

"Electric Co." rocks--no doubts there. And placing "Gloria" in that spot from time-to-time--sure, that works as well, very well.
But for a pumped crowd of 20K, arms waving, booties shaking, and so on, how can we argue with this trilogy: Vertigo, Elevation, Mysterious Ways.
Pretty funky for some white boys, if you ask me.
I think these setlists from leg 3 are some of the best of the whole tour, perhaps their entire career.
Anu

KUEFC09U2 said:
but people asked for them to change it up? and now thats what there doing? :|

U2= damned if they do, damned if they dont

:yes:

Seems like U2 would be better off if they had kept the first leg setlists throughout the tour.

U2girl said:
Seems like U2 would be better off if they had kept the first leg setlists throughout the tour.

Why? I think most of us agree stuff like Miss Sarajevo, Fast Cars, The First Time, Crumbs, more regular Bad closer, and what seems to be developing into a regular UTEOTW are good things.

The problem is not the songs (generally) or the variety. It is what U2 choose to sacrifice and how they employ variety. Really, why not do COBL/Vertigo/Mysterious Ways/UTEOTW/Electric Co.? Or how about rotating ISHFWILF and AIWIY, or ABOY and Crumbs? I don't see anything lacking there.

yes but axver people pretty much begged for U2 to switch songs up etc, and when they do, if its switched for a song someone dosent like then they moan about it, even though they asked for the set to be shaken up,

Axver said:

Actually, it's four shows in a row now. :sad:

Wow Axver...4 shows , that`s even worse!
4 times no Electric Co:mad: :mad:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Got the Chicago dvd today , Elec Co is one of the highlights of the dvd.
Edge is going mad on it!

Mauwer said:

Wow Axver...4 shows , that`s even worse!
4 times no Electric Co:mad: :mad:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Got the Chicago dvd today , Elec Co is one of the highlights of the dvd.
Edge is going mad on it!
wouldnt know, tesco have failed to deliver my dvd today :(

Axver said:

Why? I think most of us agree stuff like Miss Sarajevo, Fast Cars, The First Time, Crumbs, more regular Bad closer, and what seems to be developing into a regular UTEOTW are good things.

I would argue more Fast cars and Crumbs played helped kicking out Original of the species off the set. (curfew aside) People are already asking where it went in the setlist.

Miss Sarajevo - too slow, no one knows this one, kills the crowd. Running to stand still is a better song, remember these comments?

First time was okay for about a week till the 3rd leg encore came in. "Get the Zoo TV encore back" shouts came from some of the loudest variety advocates. Love the irony.

I think the first leg was the most calm as far as complaints go, and even then the slow Boy songs weren't any good, or the Africa preaching and the War trilogy.

I think it would be okay if Electric Co was rotated with another boy/early/rare song. Overplayed hits or small-effort-2-man -performances are not exciting changes. Hits should rotate with other hits, and a 4 man band should play as a 4 man band. Put Larry on the keyboard on The First Time and Walk On or play them electric.

but nisse when mysterious ways was missing from the set, i remember a few people saying how they wished it was there etc, along with UTEOTW i might add

its happend all through the tour, peopel said they wanted obscure songs etc, they brought out the ocean, and an cat dubh/into the heart, and people then went on to say how bad the songs were and how they killed the energy

U2 really are damned if they do and damned if they dont

its like what axver said, when miss sarajevo was played, everyone went nuts about how good it was U2 brought this song out, and now, there are a few people who will moan about it

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
yes but axver people pretty much begged for U2 to switch songs up etc, and when they do, if its switched for a song someone dosent like then they moan about it, even though they asked for the set to be shaken up,

No-one's complaining about the variety!

1. People are questioning the SET PLACEMENT and SONG ORDER. Really big difference there. "The First Time is a bad encore opener" or "Electric Co. should not be replaced by Mysterious Ways" =/= "The First Time should never have been played!" or "Mysterious Ways should never be played live again, U2 are idiots for this variety!"
2. Some people just don't like some songs. Hey, I don't want to see In A Little While. I can appreciate a bit of variety but I'd still rather it not be played.

U2girl said:

I would argue more Fast cars and Crumbs played helped kicking out Original of the species off the set. (curfew aside) People are already asking where it went in the setlist.

Funny, then, that two of the three performances of OOTS this leg have appeared at shows with Fast Cars. The other two times I know U2 planned to play it, it was either replaced by Yahweh or cut due to curfew.

And the vast majority is positive about Fast Cars, Crumbs, and OOTS and would be happy with any of the three.

Miss Sarajevo - too slow, no one knows this one, kills the crowd. Running to stand still is a better song, remember these comments?

Yes, let's take the opinion of just a handful of posters as the general consensus of the entire forum. Great way to strengthen an argument.

First time was okay for about a week till the 3rd leg encore came in. "Get the Zoo TV encore back" shouts came from some of the loudest variety advocates. Love the irony.

The First Time was OK until U2 decided to play it in a silly setlist spot. This has nothing to do with 'variety' and everything to do with setlist placement.

Axver said:

Funny, then, that two of the three performances of OOTS this leg have appeared at shows with Fast Cars. The other two times I know U2 planned to play it, it was either replaced by Yahweh or cut due to curfew.

And the vast majority is positive about Fast Cars, Crumbs, and OOTS and would be happy with any of the three.

Yes, let's take the opinion of just a handful of posters as the general consensus of the entire forum. Great way to strengthen an argument.

The First Time was OK until U2 decided to play it in a silly setlist spot. This has nothing to do with 'variety' and everything to do with setlist placement.

How many times did Fast cars and Crumbs get played on third leg, compared to Original? (Original - luckily being a single means it will get played more - replaced Miracle Drug last night and guess what the comments are like)

Majority of posts I've seen complained about Miss Sarajevo replacing Running to stand still - the consensus is "love the operatic bit, but otherwise boring".

U2 always played First time in the encore spot, even before they brought out Stuck and Walk on and Who's gonna ride... acoustic. Exactly where else would it fit? Main set is filled with the two trilogies, and it definitely doesn't fit with the uptempo start of the show.
The complaints had nothing to do with setlist placement but everything to do with replacing the Zoo TV encore. (which, as seen since the second Las Vegas show, hasn't dissapeared)

Last edited:
U2girl said:

U2 always played First time in the encore spot, even before they brought out Stuck and Walk on and Who's gonna ride... acoustic. Exactly where else would it fit? Main set is filled with the two trilogies, and it definitely doesn't fit with the uptempo start of the show.
The complaints had nothing to do with setlist placement but everything to do with replacing the Zoo TV encore. As requested, the band got us variety.

Wrooooooong. The first time they played The First Time it was the second to last song, with Bad to follow it to close. That was amazing. When they moved it to start the first encore, that's when people started to sound off a bit.

So yes, it has everything to do with setlist placement.

And once again, the whole "people said this, people wanted this" argument is lame. There are lots of people, some people will want this, some people will want that. That's why we are here, to discuss our different opinions. Why don't you give an opinion on what you think rather than trying to use the "well people wanted this" argument to prove people wrong or whatever.

U2girl said:

How many times did Fast cars and Crumbs get played on third leg, compared to Original?

Fast Cars has been played 13 times and Crumbs 5 (intended to be six). OOTS has been played three (intended to be at least five).

This proves nothing though, as OOTS was only played four times on the European leg despite the fact Fast Cars and Crumbs hadn't debuted yet. And don't give me the "stadiums need static sets" routine. Just go look at 2005-06-27, Dublin, and the sets preceding it that leg.

(Original - luckily being a single means it will get played more - replaced Miracle Drug last night and guess what the comments are like)

Majority of posts I've seen complained about Miss Sarajevo replacing Running to stand still - the consensus is "love the operatic bit, but otherwise boring".

OOTS replaces MD: large majority are positive.
Miss Sarajevo replaces RTSS: large majority are positive, tonnes of gushing over the operatic portion.

Of course, you only want to see the negative arguments. Selective reading.

The complaints had nothing to do with setlist placement but everything to do with replacing the Zoo TV encore.

Chizip's already proved you wrong on this count.

The First Time could easily follow ISHFWILF or even replace it. It could be played around the OOTS or MD/SYCMIOYO combo. It could be played in the second encore. U2 could even dare to shuffle up their segments a bit more and breathe some freshness into the second half of the main set. There's plenty they can do.

Ok, so the one time it wasn't played in the encore. It moved there afterwards.

People started sounding off because they changed the encore, not because First time got moved.

Well, tough. Fans wanted variety, band brought in a new encore - band gets ripped. How's that for lame?

Axver said:

U2 could even dare to shuffle up their segments a bit more and breathe some freshness into the second half of the main set. There's plenty they can do.

that would be nice, the second half of the main set is in desperate need of even a minor shakeup

U2girl said:

Well, tough. Fans wanted variety, band brought in a new encore - band gets ripped. How's that for lame?

You're right, that same argument is pretty lame. There are lots of fans, fans want different things. Like Axver said, probably more people than not enjoyed Miss Sarajevo. You like to selectively read the negatives.

And someone saying they'd rather hear OOTS instead of Miss Sarajevo, or would rather hear the Firt Time later in the encore is not ripping the band, its called giving an opinion.

Axver said:

Fast Cars has been played 13 times and Crumbs 5 (intended to be six). OOTS has been played three (intended to be at least five).

Thank you.

This proves nothing though, as OOTS was only played four times on the European leg despite the fact Fast Cars and Crumbs hadn't debuted yet. And don't give me the "stadiums need static sets" routine. Just go look at 2005-06-27, Dublin, and the sets preceding it that leg.

You know what the stadium setlists are like, and Dublin III is hardly the representative setlist for European leg.

OOTS replaces MD: large majority are positive.
Miss Sarajevo replaces RTSS: large majority are positive, tonnes of gushing over the operatic portion.

Of course, you only want to see the negative arguments. Selective reading.

Did you not read the "Miracle drug not being played? Mistale" thread in this forum"?
Operatic portion did get praise, majority preferred Running to stand still. Reports of energy level drop in the audience. Selective reading indeed.

Chizip's already proved you wrong on this count.

The First Time could easily follow ISHFWILF or even replace it. It could be played around the OOTS or MD/SYCMIOYO combo. It could be played in the second encore. U2 could even dare to shuffle up their segments a bit more and breathe some freshness into the second half of the main set. There's plenty they can do.

Yes, great idea to have First time in between the uptempo Boy song and Beautiful day or break the link between MD and Sometimes. Also, they'd want to keep the acoustic songs - apart from Yahweh - played together..?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom