Drop the Acoustic Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drleather2001

The Fly
It's tired. I mean, why play "lite" versions of songs? The whole idea of momentary intimacy with the crowd that a spectacle such as Zoo TV required is rendered obsolete by the new stage setups like Elevation's.

I mean, really...who the hell is DYING to hear an acoustic version of "Kite"?

The acoustic set is a gorgeous thing if they get the song selection right. On Elevation, the acoustic sets weren't that great because hearing Desire and In A Little While back to back isn't a good acoustic set. But with the right song selection, like RTSS and others, it can take a show from being great to being unforgettable. They just need to stop making non-acoustic songs like Desire and AIWIY into acoustic songs. The only non-acoustic song that's ever translated flawlessly to acoustic is SATS. SATS-RTSS :drool:

I like a an accoustic song or two. i think more than 2 is too much though.

And DO NOT DO DESIRE Accoustic !! I saw it on ZooTV opening an encore w/ Bono as the Mirrorball Man - full electric - it was off the hook:yes:

Sorry, I like it.

And I thought the "acoustic" Desire worked extremely well as a change of pace. It really brought out a sultry, simmering side of the song. I wouldn't want to hear that arrangement again, but I don't believe they have to do any song with a certain arrangement.

Look at how cool the re-arrangement of Running was in '92/'93.

I think the "acoustic" set is a good way to give them a breather, to change the pace and tone of the set, and create a very different and intimate focus on a few songs that get lost in the noise and glamour of a full-band-electric presentation.

And having missed Kite on Elevation (my show was before 4/20/01), I'd rather see/hear it acoustically than not at all.

drleather2001, i agree to a certain extent. I for one love the acoustic set, but I thought some shows on the last tour they dragged out too long. They should do 2 songs, 3 MAX, on the tip of the egg :wink:

For the acoustic set:
-Stay (awesome the last tour)
-SATS (like popmart)
-Stuck in a Moment
-Angel of Harlem (ZOO TV)

add a couple more, and then rotate them around, play like 2 a night.

Welcome to interence.com. I think they should remove the acoustic set too. It really does add anything special to the show. I did enjoy Edge doing Sunday Bloody Sunday.

They have to remove the acoustic set if it's like Elevation. The ZooTV acoustic set was brilliant and Edge's solo Popmart SBS was touching and moving. The Elevation acoustic set, though, dragged and was a bit of a bore.

For the record, RTSS in ZooTV wasn't acoustic. It came after Bad and Bullet, and was part of the Greatest Hits section of the show.

I agree that the acoustic dynamic of the show worked better with Zoo TV (where the point was to contrast that stripped-down, in and amongst the audience set with the mega media overload of the first eight songs). But it's always nice to see the chemistry between the band when they just kind of busk together.

And for my money, the Desire/Hawkmoon/RTSS medley during Elevation is one of THE highlights of my "Elevation Live" playlist.

broken toy said:
Axver, how many Elevation shows did you attend?

Zero. I guess it would have been good if one was there. But SATS on the Slane DVD is plain boring and totally kills the song. They just should not be watered down like that.

drleather2001 said:
It's tired. I mean, why play "lite" versions of songs? The whole idea of momentary intimacy with the crowd that a spectacle such as Zoo TV required is rendered obsolete by the new stage setups like Elevation's.
I completely disagree. I think Elevation Tour had the most intimate setting ever for U2. Perfectly suitable for an acoustic song or two. The acoustic versions of "Please"
, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Stay" were great on it. Not to mention, the audience participation they had towards the end of the Elevation Tour. I like the "lite" versions, they give songs another perspective and they allow the band to be as creative as they want with their work.

I also like how they play more variety on the acoustic sets now than they did with Popmart. Kudos to the boys. I enjoy what they do.

zoopop said:
Welcome to interence.com. I think they should remove the acoustic set too. It really does add anything special to the show.I did enjoy Edge doing Sunday Bloody Sunday. [/B]
Glad to see we're on the same side here...:wink:

nathan1977 said:
For the record, RTSS in ZooTV wasn't acoustic. It came after Bad and Bullet, and was part of the Greatest Hits section of the show.

I agree that the acoustic dynamic of the show worked better with Zoo TV (where the point was to contrast that stripped-down, in and amongst the audience set with the mega media overload of the first eight songs). But it's always nice to see the chemistry between the band when they just kind of busk together.

And for my money, the Desire/Hawkmoon/RTSS medley during Elevation is one of THE highlights of my "Elevation Live" playlist.

Hawkmoon? HAWKMOON? They played Hawkmoon? On what date, prey tell?

namkcuR said:

Hawkmoon? HAWKMOON? They played Hawkmoon? On what date, prey tell?

They didn't play Hawkmoon 269 per se. Bono sung a few lines from it before Desire on 12 July 2001 in Cologne. He added some of RTSS onto the end too.

mmm im not a big fan of acoustic songs,and def not Desire,ive heard enough of that also pride,sunday,would like to hear more older stuff as well,ie in gods country,gloria,110clock tick tock,lemon,i know some of them are old but a blast from the past would be great.

the acoustic sets sucks.

on zootv, it was cool on the european leg to do "stay" and "satelite of love" like that, but everything else since then, especially the acoustic "desire", has sucked.
"sats" was ok, but please, I'd rather hear the whole band; basically because I couldn't care less about the edge playing barre chords on acoustic...it's just boring.....it's not like he's playing "the rain song" or something....

I honestly can't think of one song I'd like to hear them do "acoustic".

Hola amigos :wave: I have mixed feelings about acoustic numbers. I´ve ever dozens of acoustic songs, and most of them have been just filler.

Slow Dancing, Dirty Old Town, Knocking on Heaven´s Door, Desire ( Pop Mart and Elevation ), Whisky In The Jar, Rain, Party Girl, When Love Comes To Town, Angel Of Harlem ( Elevation ), I Shall Be release, If God Will Send His Angels, Wild Honey, Running To Stand Still, People Get Ready, etc, etc

:down: :tsk:

I think just a few songs have been truly outstanding in acoustic way, like Please, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Springhill Mining Disaster ( well, after both were Electric ;) versions ), In God´s Country or Wake Up Dead Man.

If I had to choice 3 songs for an acoustic set, I´d go with:

1- Dancing Barefoot :drool: ( it seems fans here don´t want to hear previosly unheared live songs :sad: )
2- Everlasting Love ( another unheared live number :drool: )
3- Please or Sunday Bloody Sunday :drool:

Peace :wave:

JOFO said:
the acoustic sets sucks.

on zootv, it was cool on the european leg to do "stay" and "satelite of love" like that, but everything else since then, especially the acoustic "desire", has sucked.
"sats" was ok, but please, I'd rather hear the whole band; basically because I couldn't care less about the edge playing barre chords on acoustic...it's just boring.....it's not like he's playing "the rain song" or something....

I honestly can't think of one song I'd like to hear them do "acoustic".
Have you heard the Vegas '97 full band Staring on opening night of Popmart? Because if you haven't, you may want to check that out. :wink:

Axver said:
I don't see what's so difficult about the acronyms ...
I have to be honest though, I dislike acronyms. Too much thinking is involved in figuring it out. Rather than SYCMIOYO, I'd rather just call it "Sometimes..." for short.

Macfistowannabe said:
Have you heard the Vegas '97 full band Staring on opening night of Popmart? Because if you haven't, you may want to check that out. :wink:

The full band SATS, when they weren't stuffing up, was great. The acoustic version is dead.

Macfistowannabe said:
I have to be honest though, I dislike acronyms. Too much thinking is involved in figuring it out. Rather than SYCMIOYO, I'd rather just call it "Sometimes..." for short.

I don't find them hard at all. SATS, for example, is dead easy - what's a four-word U2 song with the first and fourth words beginning with 's'? It's only Staring At The Sun. SYCMIOYO's even easier because there aren't that many long U2 song titles beginning with S. I don't see what problem people have with them.

Really? I think it would be tough to pull off full band, that song particularly. But no, I don't exactly desire to hear it acoustic, I'd like them to throw more variety on acoustic.

Axver said:

I don't find them hard at all. SATS, for example, is dead easy - what's a four-word U2 song with the first and fourth words beginning with 's'? It's only Staring At The Sun. SYCMIOYO's even easier because there aren't that many long U2 song titles beginning with S. I don't see what problem people have with them.
I guess my beef is that people use them constantly when they post setlists, and I have to figure out what each one is.

Macfistowannabe said:
Really? I think it would be tough to pull off full band, that song particularly. But no, I don't exactly desire to hear it acoustic, I'd like them to throw more variety on acoustic.

I think it sounded great when it didn't fall apart mid-song. If they had had longer to practise it, a full band SATS could have been a real highlight of Popmart.

And re: acronyms, I always write my setlists without acronyms just because I don't like the look of them that way. A whole list of acronyms is annoying. But I'll use something like ISHFWILF or SATS in a paragraph.

Back
Top Bottom