Did Bono sing 'The Fly' properly tonight??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol: yes, he finally got in at the right time. However he did make up some lyrics. I think that part was intentional though.

I was hoping he wouldnt change the lyrics up, but as long as he delivered them right, thats good news. so far from what i hear the second night was an improvement (thought the first night was great, with rooms for improvment).

Great. If they get this version of the Fly working at 100% (hell even 80%) of what its capable of it will be possibly the most amazing live song U2 has ever done.

That intro is somthing else.:drool:

timothius said:
Great. If they get this version of the Fly working at 100% (hell even 80%) of what its capable of it will be possibly the most amazing live song U2 has ever done.

That intro is somthing else.:drool:

Amen.

Why do bands always have to mess with songs ?
The Fly was perfect on Zoo TV.
Why change it .
If it aint broken then dont fix it.

RademR said:
(thought the first night was great, with rooms for improvment).

The first night was an complete disaster.

It sounded like he forgot the lyrics throughout - not just changing them up.

I love how u2 reinvents The Fly every tour they play it. It shows versatility and it is something new and exciting to listen to!

I haven't totally absorbed the new Fly yet, so I'm not going to give a final verdict on it now. I will say that the Elevation version was slamming though, Edge threw in some chugging Metallica- type riffs near the end that took the song to a whole new place.

all three versions are really good.

i don't think you can really do this song any wrong.

unosdostres14 said:
I love how u2 reinvents The Fly every tour they play it. It shows versatility and it is something new and exciting to listen to!

Bono completely botching the lyrics doesn't 'show versatility'; it shows him completely fucking up a great song.

I just wanted to know if he got the damn lyrics right this time, i'm not belittling their new arrangement of the song, because i think it's great.

Axver said:

To avoid stagnation.

And this new Fly is simply outstanding!

agreed! especially The Edge playing "Lady With A Spinning Head" chords on the second verse!

A couple things.....

You guys goitta understand that this is...well, U2. They aren't the most polished of musicians live and they are notoriously rusty the first half dozen shows. To see and hear them playing at the fairly high level they are playing only 3 shows into the tour is very encouraging.

I remember hearing about 20 versions of "The Fly" through shows and boots from the Elevation tour and in just about every performance, someone, usually The Edge or Bono significantly screwed up a part of the song. I mean, I'm talking about whole sets of verses switched around, blown solos, You name it, they fucked it up at one show or another in '01. I think that right there was the main reason they canned the song in the set midway through that tour.

When I heard the go into The Fly at SD#1, I was right under the lighting rid on The Edge's side and probably because I was directly under the bank of suspended speakers, I thought The Edge's guitar tone was completely harsh and overdriven and kind of made the song unpleasant to hear. I even mentioned elseware that maybe Edge should switch to a Strat and a bit of a smoother tone from his rig.

After hearing boots from both SD shows, it sounds a lot better despite Bono's issues with the lyrics and I think they'll quickly nail it on a night to night basis.

I for one am really happy it's in the set and hope they stick with it for most of the tour.

Now "Elevation" is a different story. It's the one song being played so far this tour I do not like. On the '01 tour, it was a great opener but this tour burried in the last 3rd of the set in it's somewhat stripped down arrangement, it just doesn't move me. I'd rather hear just about any other burned out song like "I Will Follow" or "Until the End of the World" instead of that tune.

T.B.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom