Celebration will be played.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
Been years since I listened to this song, heard the rumors they were rehearsing, and forgot all about the atomic bomb line in the song...it will be played. It will rock.

Is this for real? That would be indescribably awesome.

I think I've had that as a part of my dreamed-up setlist for both the Pop and ATYCLB tours. I think it works well with the struggling-with-faith, pre-apocalyptic themes of Pop. It's very affirming, with a youthful and aggressive slant.

I'd be blown away by this.

I HIGHLY doubdt its going to be done. Hasnt been played since 1982 and its not exactly a hit. If they are resorting to a lyrical line that fits the new album title you can guess they will play Seconds also. Isnt happening. The rehearsal rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, even if they did mess around with the song in rehearsals it doesnt mean its going to be done during the tour. The Unforgettable Fire was rehearsed quite a bit for Elevation and was obviously never played. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Of course anything is possible, but again, this is highly unlikely. 90% of the crowd would have no clue what they were doing.

I would be sceptical also for the reasons Blue Room outlined, also Bono kind of dismissed it in the Into the Heart book a few years ago, but he could have changed his mind.

I agree with Blue Room - although it'd be awesome if they included it, I highly doubt they will. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Seconds would be intereeeeeesting as well. "And they're doing the atomic bomb, they want you to sing along..." LOL!

A Celebration SHOULD have been on the 80's BEST OF. It deserves a comeback of some form and it would be great live.

Problem is, can Bono still sing it? He can't sing Gloria anymore

Yeah, I think you might have a few folks immediately jumping in with the "shake! shake!" part.

Since I'm choosing to amuse myself with hopeful (and unlikely) notions, I'll toss out that it was not that long ago that U2 was willing to challenge its audience with unfamiliar songs. The Joshua Tree tour, when they were at the height of their "fair-weather, teeny-bopper-engorged" fandom, included things like Springhill Mining Disaster, a drastically reworked Maggie's Farm and Helter Skelter. You can't tell me that the majority of those audiences were familiar with those tunes at the time.

Perhaps old age will embolden them... then again, I'm not holding my breath.

I'd be extremely shocked. I have a feeling we'd see Heartland and Acrobat before we'll see A Celebration.

I would take 2 to 1 odds that A Celebration will be played before Acrobat will.

Listen to the song in the context of a Vertigo type production. It fits the set as good as anything they ever have done.

Plus, I am dating Fake Edge's third cousin on his mother's side. She told me its true.

If any song will make it to the setlist on the basis of the atomic bomb connection, I would expect The Unforgettable Fire to have the best chance of succeeding in being played.

But the band DO believe in the atomic bomb ...

I want to know how many people in the crowd had the faintest idea of what U2 were doing when they played the 'new' Fly on Elevation.

Just because it's unfamiliar doesn't mean U2 won't play it.

I remember being in the heart at the start of the new "Fly" and most of the hardest core fans were looking around at each other confused.

I knew. Did I ever.

Can someone tell me what are the lirycs in the end of celebration? Cause all the time I hear "I believe in popmart tour" after the final chorus :p

Blue Room said:
I HIGHLY doubdt its going to be done. Hasnt been played since 1982 and its not exactly a hit. If they are resorting to a lyrical line that fits the new album title you can guess they will play Seconds also. Isnt happening. The rehearsal rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.
Yeah, exactly. I am highly skeptical of the 'Celebration' rumors. I mean, c'mon. Think about this. The rehearsals in Mexico were pretty much unknown until word leaked out after the fact so it's not like a bunch of hardcore fans made the trek there and were taking notes. From what's been stated on other boards the rumors seem to be coming from people who happened to be within earshot of the rehearsal venue. Even longtime U2 fans would be hard-pressed to recognize 'Celebration'. I find it highly unlikely that some people who happened to be outside were able to identify it. It's possible but unlikely.

The other scenario is that the info is coming from a source on the crew, someone on the inside. Isn't it possible that someone is just having some fun getting fans all riled up about the possibility of hearing older songs? That seems far more likely to me than the band actually resurrecting songs like 'Celebration' for this tour.

martha said:

Speak for yourself.
I did not say anywhere in my post that I wouldn't recognize it. I'm saying that most U2 fans wouldn't know Celebration if they tripped over it.

Back
Top Bottom