Bono "We haven't played this one since 1983"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono always pretends they haven't played songs for longer than what is true ... he used to always say they hadn't played 11 O'Clock Tick Tock for 20 years during Elevation Tour.

That gave me a real giggle. The last time 40 was played in full at a full tour concert was 10 January 1990, so (ignoring public rehearsal) it has been 15 years, 2 months, and 18 days. Bono and Edge did it alone to close four Popmart shows, and I believe it was done in full at the 7 February 2001 promo gig at the Astoria, but I haven't heard a bootleg of that show to know.

Get your facts right, Bono! Though he's horrible in that department - I've seen him announce that they've only played a song "a couple of times" when they've done it a lot. On UABRS, he says how Party Girl's "reserved for nights like tonight" when it was played in the encore of just about every show that tour! I can go on, heh. I don't expect anything different from Bono.

I think Bono gets caught up in the moment and says dramatic things. It's just his style.

the tourist said:
Oh Bono and his staggering memory....

I memorised Pi to 353 decimal places but that achievement feels petty and inconsequential when compared to Bono's awesome feats of memory!

He should hire one of you guys to whisper these exact statistics in his earpiece during the shows. I'm sure he feels completely foolish when he thinks back to all the mis-information he's spread from stages across the world. After all, what great rock star is not also a brilliant historical statistician? :rolleyes:

Bono has also said recently (wish I had the precise citation) that there are serious fans who know the band better than they know themselves--and this thread is case in point.
One problem with us chronic exaggerators is that people sometimes miss the point when we are dead-on and understated.
I know I drive my family crazy with my exuberant yarns, and I know they take everything with a bucket of sea salt.
Bono needs a barge full of sea salt--it's part of his aura.
love, Anu

Aardvark747 said:

Yep - it was done at that gig -and in full.

Do you know if Adam and Edge swapped instruments and everything like the old days?

The four Popmart performances, if I didn't say so before, were just Edge and Bono solo.

Back
Top Bottom