Biggest Disappointment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Which song is in your opinion THE disappointment of the Vertigo Tour?

For me it definitely is All Because of You:madspit:

BANZAI said:
Which song is in your opinion THE disappointment of the Vertigo Tour?

For me it definitely is All Because of You:madspit:

Have to disagree with you on that one becasue I thought it ROCKED :rockon:

Biggest disappointment was lame Pride>Streets segue.

(and the fact that I couldn't get a parking space in Cardiff and ended up missing the first 6 songs :mad: )

Yeah, Pride --> Streets sucked.

So did continually playing One and SYCMIOYO and bringing WOWY and ISHFWILF back after initially playing them extremely sparingly.

DignityPassesBy said:
I liked them bring back ISHFWILF its a great live song. The disapointment would be the lack of Pop songs

I absolutely agree with you. I missed POP songs. But I also missed Bad wich they didn't play:sad:

But I can't say it was a disappointment because I loved the show anyway...

All Because Of You, definitely....................this song never catched me, unfortunately.....................also I was expecting a better version of Miracle Drug, most of all with less talk, and with an incredible long extended final solo

- Pride-Streets segue
- Miracle Drug
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (stop playing it, PLEASE)
- playing that magnificent version of Discotheque only two times

Pride-Streets was so bland and just didn't work at all. I thought the Africa intro was cool, but hearing Pride before doesn't do anything.

Hearing the speeches before MD and One was a bit much. Wish Bono would keep it simple and talk for about a minute before a song.

The Pride - Streets - One part of the show. I just don't feel it.

After that, the lack of A Man and A Woman. I'm still shocked that they didn't play it live.

In order of disappointment:

Miracle Drug - Version was rather listless
Pride>Streets>One - The transition sucked, Misplaced declaration of rights Pride is tired, Streets ruined by Africa talk and the absurdly long One speech deflating the energy from Streets.

Hmmmm..Biggest Disappointment , yeah there are a few.

1 - Pride:madspit: ( this song is so lame and tired it SHOULD get skipped the next two tours )

2 - One , okay this is a song wich should get played without the long talking and should get played one out of three shows

3 - M.Drug , its was not good live , and they really should start the song straight of , like on the album.

4 - Elec.Co , why don`t they play this every show:wink:
It IS the highlight of the tour.
Thumbs up it gets played a lot on the 4th leg:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Where was Gone????

- The Pride/Streets intro didn't do anything for me. It would have worked better like this Miss Sarajevo->Streets->Pride. I also didn' t like the way Streets was presented without all of the lights flashing on. It just didn't feel like Streets.

- The extreme lack of Pop songs. Discotheque only twice! That's the best version of Discotheque I've ever heard!

- The acoustic encores. Out of all the songs they chose to play from Zooropa, they choose The First Time. Dirty Day would have worked much better. The acostic encore just sucked all of the energy out of the concert.

-The duet with Mary J. Blige. I have nothing against her but I want to hear U2 perform One, not her.

Besides that, this has been U2's best tour since ZooTv and I'm glad I was able to see it.

- The Pride/Streets intro didn't do anything for me. It would have worked better like this Miss Sarajevo->Streets->Pride. I also didn' t like the way Streets was presented without all of the lights flashing on. It just didn't feel like Streets.

- The extreme lack of Pop songs. Discotheque only twice! That's the best version of Discotheque I've ever heard!

- The acoustic encores. Out of all the songs they chose to play from Zooropa, they choose The First Time. Dirty Day would have worked much better. The acostic encore just sucked all of the energy out of the concert.

-The duet with Mary J. Blige. I have nothing against her but I want to hear U2 perform One, not her.

Besides that, this has been U2's best tour since ZooTv and I'm glad I was able to see it.

I agree with every little thing you said. I make your words mine.:wink:

-Pride into Streets sucked!!!!

-ABOY and Miracle Drug never formed into something special live for me. Miracle Drug never made it, and ABOY was awesome at the Brooklyn bridge show and then never sounded great on tour.

-Bono's political agendas. Not that I don't agree with him, but it's like they played such a big part of the show. I love Bono's work, but keep it away from the concerts. A small speech before "one" is cool, but the Vertigo tour was too...i dont know. S.B.S. just sucked for me because he would do that blindfold thing and the "jesus, jew..." thing for like 3 minutes sometimes and the crowd that was into maybe u2's most rocking song are left kind of deflated. At least that's how i felt at some of the shows. And don't compare them to when he rants on about the N. Irleand situation, that's kiss ass and hey....that's what the songs about.

Last edited:
Vertigo x2
Pride seguing into Streets
Lack of I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day
No real closer

theu2fly said:
Lack of I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day

Do you actually know anything about setlists or do you just like to pretend you do?

Now, Out Of Control was played only sparingly and I can understand you complaining about that, but I Will Follow was a European regular and showed up frequently on the third leg too (not to mention the fact it's the second-most played song in U2's history, so it kind of needs a rest!). UTEOTW was only a sparing inclusion for the first two legs but took a regular spot at the end.

And your stupidest mistake was including New Year's Day in your list, as it has been played at roughly half of all Vertigo Tour shows! It missed just one European show!

No real closer

:huh: Looks like you missed 40.

Off the Bomb songs, acoustic Yahweh.

Otherwise, Running to stand still MIA - I don't mind the operatic bit and it was nice to hear Miss Sarajevo but it's a better song IMO.

Setlistwise - Pride, One and I still haven't found... are tired. Get a new arrangement or rotate.

Am I the only one who liked Pride into Streets? :lol:

I would say the biggest dissapointment for me is that they only played Discotheque twice.

I really miss the intro bright lights during streets!!

The ringing guitar, build up of the drums, and crash.....the lights go up and the crowd ROARS!!

It' still an amazing song live but miss that intro.

I do agree... with many of you that I prefer a more dramatic intro into streets. Pride is cool but doesn't compare to the Running to Stand Still or Please intros from past tours.

Wasn't my favorite part of the show, but I didn't mind Pride into Streets. Although, if the band decided to retire Pride forever I wouldn't be too disappointed. I would have loved to hear Crumbs and just about anything from Zooropa except The First Time.

Virtually everyone hates Vertigo x2, but I was in Chicago for Bono's birthday and was absolutely blown away when they played it to end the show. I had a 6 hour drive home immediately after the show and had to be at work in 7 hours. That version and the adreneline it produced kept me awake. I love hearing 40 to end a show, but if they would have ended with it, I probably would have fallen asleep on the drive home.

Axver said:

Do you actually know anything about setlists or do you just like to pretend you do?

Now, Out Of Control was played only sparingly and I can understand you complaining about that, but I Will Follow was a European regular and showed up frequently on the third leg too (not to mention the fact it's the second-most played song in U2's history, so it kind of needs a rest!). UTEOTW was only a sparing inclusion for the first two legs but took a regular spot at the end.

And your stupidest mistake was including New Year's Day in your list, as it has been played at roughly half of all Vertigo Tour shows! It missed just one European show!

:huh: Looks like you missed 40.

1. I Will Follow was never played on the 1st leg, and hardly played on the 3rd leg.

2. The 3rd leg never got New Year's Day

3. 40, Vertigo X2, Bad, With Or Without You -- reminds me of the POP era, where they didn't have a solid closer for the tour, it was always rotated.

theu2fly said:

1. I Will Follow was never played on the 1st leg, and hardly played on the 3rd leg.

2. The 3rd leg never got New Year's Day

3. 40, Vertigo X2, Bad, With Or Without You -- reminds me of the POP era, where they didn't have a solid closer for the tour, it was always rotated.

1. Ok, I'll give you "lack of I Will Follow in the American shows." But it's still been played over 700 times, I'd hardly call it missing half a leg disappointing.

2. Yeah, but the first two legs did, and the same thing applies here as in IWF - it hardly missed a show from 83-90, and only missed the first two legs of Zoo, 10 or 12 Popmart shows, and maybe 1/3 of Elevation shows since.

So your comments are valid if you want to hear I Will Follow and New Years Day in every dang setlist U2 ever plays. I wish we had some way to test this......some way to figure out every possible combination of songs that you want the band to play....

Pride and BTBS have seriously got to leave the setlists.

BTBS for good and Pride needs to be rotated, I would say get rid of it but come on...it's one of their biggest hits and there's no way of that happening. Event though it sounds really dull on this tour.

it's getting boring but my biggest dissapointment is also
Pride-Streets-One...3 huge hits in a row is just too much for me.
it's getting a bit cheesy this way.

didn't like the LAPOE-SBS-BTBS combo either..although I like LAPOE an SBS, Bullet definately needs to go.

RademR said:
Pride and BTBS have seriously got to leave the setlists.

BTBS for good and Pride needs to be rotated, I would say get rid of it but come on...it's one of their biggest hits and there's no way of that happening. Event though it sounds really dull on this tour.

But then I would miss Edge's guitar solo in BTBS... I love that part but I agree that it isn't essential to the show.

Edge's solo in Bullet is great, but I don't like how he modified it this tour. Love the old Zoo TV or Popmart solos, those were great.

Just don't understand why the play it every night. It wasn't a hit or single, and it's not like its a fan favorite. Well, it was back in the day maybe. If we made a poll "should they stop playing bullet?" I'm guessing a majority of people say no.

Back
Top Bottom