Best six songs not on a setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltcf

The Fly
I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else, but someone was calling out other rock bands compared to U2. They said show me another rock band who can put on a show like they do and still leave off half dozen songs that could go up against anyone else's top stuff. Coldplay was the specific example.

I saw them last Saturday in Salt Lake City and I still can't think of anything but how awesome that concert was.

They played 22 rockin U2 songs at the concert I went to, but you could still make a long list of great ones that didn't make it. Here's my top 6 that didn't make the concert I saw:

1. Bad
2. All I Want is You
3. Walk On
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day
6. The Fly

I'm sure everyone would put different songs on that list. But the point is, I would put those six that didn't make a concert with a band like Coldplay's top six of all time.

Top 6 songs that were played on the tour, but I've missed them are:

1. Mysterious Ways
2. Discotheque
3. Until the End of the World
4. Bad
5. Original of the Species
6. Crumbs From Your Table

Top 6 that weren't played on the tour (Oh my...)

1. Acrobat
2. Love is Blindness
3. Ultra Violet
4. Lemon
5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
6. Dirty Day

ltcf said:
I'm sure everyone would put different songs on that list. But the point is, I would put those six that didn't make a concert with a band like Coldplay's top six of all time.

hahaha, that's so stupid. you've just gone and listed six of u2's top-standard songs as if they're crap not worthy of being performed while trying to have a dig at the song writing abilities of another, equally able band. useless..:down:

Last edited:
Top songs that SHOULD of been played on the Vertigo Tour...

*The Unforgettable Fire
* Gone
* 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
* Acrobat
* Love Is Blindness
* Tomorrow

Re: Re: Best six songs not on a setlist

gareth brown said:

hahaha, that's so stupid. you've just gone and listed six of u2's top-standard songs as if they're crap not worthy of being performed while trying to have a dig at the song writing abilities of another, equally able band. useless..:down:

I disagree. Everyone here would put a different top 6 that were left out of various concerts. I could put another 6 behind that 6 that would be equally formidable compared to other band's top hits. The point is that U2's consistency and longevity is amazing. And any other band that wants to compete--like a Coldplay--has got to do what they're doing for 20+ years to develop a portfolio that U2 has.

Exit
Ultraviolet
Lemon
Hawkmoon 269
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Electrical Storm

Re: Re: Re: Best six songs not on a setlist

ltcf said:

I disagree. Everyone here would put a different top 6 that were left out of various concerts. I could put another 6 behind that 6 that would be equally formidable compared to other band's top hits. The point is that U2's consistency and longevity is amazing. And any other band that wants to compete--like a Coldplay--has got to do what they're doing for 20+ years to develop a portfolio that U2 has.

well i have to disagree! if coldplay or any other of my favourite bands left out six of my favourite songs i'd feel the sting as much as i would at a u2 gig, perhaps more because when U2 leave out a song from a setlist it's usually a joyous occassion for me because they play something else for a change! :huh:

the fact of the matter is that coldplay has 3 cds and 5 years experience while U2 has 11 cds plus random singles and 25 years experience.

at this point, U2 could play 22 hits straight and not play all their hits.

at the same time, coldplay has fewer singles, so when they play 22 songs (which they don't... i have seen them 4 times and their shows are significantly shorter as far as number of songs) there is bound to be either much more room to fit all the hits, or filler from other songs (not that their other songs are lesser material)

example... in kansas city on this tour, they played most of their radio hits, but didn't play Moses or Trouble, but played several non hit songs:

low
swallowed in the sea
kingdom come
ring of fire (a cover)

it isn't a question of quality. it is a question of quantity. U2 could play all the songs from both best of cds (what would that be? 36 tracks) and I would walk away thinking about missing the post 2004 singles.

while coldplay could play every hit and almost hit and still have room for a few other tracks simply because they have been in the music industry for less time.

it is the same with every band, including U2. Their gigs up to and including the Unforgettable Fire tour were that way.

once you break the 20 hit song mark, then you risk not playing the hit that certain people want to hear in favor of the hit that certain others want to hear.

Top 6 Songs That I Missed:

Bad
Zoo Station
The Fly
Electric Co.
Mysterious Ways
Discotheque

Top 6 Songs I Wished They Would Play:

Acrobat
Ultraviolet
Lemon
Mofo
Please
Dirty Day

top 6 songs they played that i missed:

until the end of the world
who's gonna ride your wild horses
bad
original of the species
all i want is you (did they play this ever on the vertigo tour?)
discotheque (wow, did they really play this?)

top 6 i would love to hear live:
dirty day
ultraviolet
lemon
acrobat
please
in god's country

xtihn said:

all i want is you (did they play this ever on the vertigo tour?)
discotheque (wow, did they really play this?)

They played All I Want is You (its tour premier?) at Manchester 2 when I went.

Discothque was played twice (?)on Leg 3

-----------------------

As for my Top 6 never or rarely played:

Electrical Storm
Lemon
Even Better Than The Real Thing
A Man and A Woman
Discotheque
Walk On

Thats the realistic list anyway!

I would actually be more annoyed if Coldplay didn't play their hits since they have less reason not to, as stated above. They shouldn't remove a big hit like Trouble (also a great song) to replace it with a cover. That's like U2 taking out Beautiful Day and replacing it with "Instant Karma"

they played all i want is you a handful of times in europe, and once in america, on october 8th.

I was pleased they did the "good" version of AIWIY, ie. with the craAAAAAADle to the grave (ala Slane) part.

1. The Fly
2. Electric Co.
3. Bad
4. All I Want is You
5. Please
6. MoFo

Top 6 that have been played that I missed:
1. Original of the Species
2. Bad
3. UTEOTW
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Wild Horses
6. Miss Sarajevo

Top 6 that haven't been played
1. Electrical Storm (come on, just once!)
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Gone
4. Stay
5. Ultraviolet
6. One Tree Hill

Top 6 that have been played that I missed:
1. Bad
2. Running to Stand Still
3. Zoo Station
4. The Fly
5. Wild Horses
6. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart

Top 6 that haven't been played
1. Electrical Storm
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Gone
4. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
5. Ultraviolet
6. One Tree Hill

Top Six That I Missed Seeing On THis Tour:

1. Walk On (One of my FAVES)
2. All I Want Is You (REALLY wanted to hear this)
3. Out Of Control
4. Wild Horses (Cool that they dug this up)
5. Discotheque
6. Angel of Harlem

Top Six They Should Play On The Next Tour:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3. A Sort Of Homecoming (Start out with a nice slow intro and build up)
4. Electrical Storm (Definitely needs to make an appearance, great song)
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing (would be a great way to represent AB since they did like everything else on the Vertigo Tour)
6. Gone (Classic live track was MIA all of this last tour.....)

Back
Top Bottom