Bad to be regular on 4th leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimjam

Acrobat
Here is a quote from WIllie's diary:

.... We’re getting into a situation now where we have so many great songs worked up that the show is potentially too long. The Edge always laughs and says “Ah, its great value for money!” but the truth is that if even a great show is too long it throws out the dynamics of the whole event. For U2 something in the region of two hours ten minutes seems to work the best. We’ve touched two and a half hours on occasion and even though the crowd is delighted, you can feel them getting tired. That said, I have been pretty determined to get “Bad” into the main set for this leg, so we decided to add it in, even though we couldn’t find another song to drop to make way for it..........

:drool:

This is rubbish for two reasons:

1. I certainly don't think 2.5 hours is too long. In fact, as it stands, I don't think U2 play for long enough considering the depth of their catalogue.
2. Bad DID replace something. Look, the encore's only five songs long, even though it's normally been at least six this tour! New Year's Day and All Because Of You are the obvious omissions from the usual European setlist (and there's the obvious encore trade too, UTEOTW/MW for ZS/Fly).

jimjam said:
even though we couldn’t find another song to drop to make way for it..........

.......... is that an open invitation to let them know which song(s)we think they should drop to make way for it?

'Cause I can easily name more than a few that could be dropped.

But the problem is they'd have to be replaced with others that, in theme, feeling and intention, make sense in the same spot.
That's where it gets more difficult.

To complete my post, I'll just mention which songs, I think, could be given a rest for a little while: ISHFWILF, Bullet, Pride and One.

Now can somebody please go find the right replacements for them?

Last edited:
Bad replaced New Year's Day in the main set.
Nothing replaced All Because of You.
But, hey, what the fuck, we still have that second Vertigo to rock our asses off!

i really really hope that the Fly makes it back for the 4th leg shows. It was always a real highlight in a stadium on the 2nd leg. Just mind bendingly good to be at the front rail and see those words coming at you on that amazing screen.

Why do U2 always drop the best songs?

Bad :drool:

If I ruled the world, Bad would be played at every single U2 show from now until the end of time. I'd certainly never get tired of it, though I'm sure most everyone else would. I'd give up Pride for it for sure. I'd give up With Or Without You and One in maybe four out of every five shows.

I like its placement in the setlist (I'm embarrassed to admit I somehow forgot there was a show last night :reject: ). It must've been a nice surprise. I'm greatly lamenting that I STILL haven't gotten to hear it live, even though it's been my favorite song for at least 10 years.

Fourth leg setlist bitching :drool:

Axver said:
This is rubbish for two reasons:

1. I certainly don't think 2.5 hours is too long. In fact, as it stands, I don't think U2 play for long enough considering the depth of their catalogue.
2. Bad DID replace something. Look, the encore's only five songs long, even though it's normally been at least six this tour! New Year's Day and All Because Of You are the obvious omissions from the usual European setlist (and there's the obvious encore trade too, UTEOTW/MW for ZS/Fly).

Obviously the band feel differently. You have a direct quote from someone within the organization that explains why they dont play for 2.5 hours. You disagree, fine, but I will go with U2 on what they feel works best for THEIR show and THEIR music. Lets face it, all of this complaining is nit picking in the great scheme of things. There is nothing wrong with the setlist they played last night. Sure we all have different preferences and things we would like to see. Therein is the problem we all have DIFFERENT preferences. I dare say that 95% of that crowd last night thought the show was great and that is all that really matters.

Blue Room said:

Obviously the band feel differently. You have a direct quote from someone within the organization that explains why they dont play for 2.5 hours. You disagree, fine, but I will go with U2 on what they feel works best for THEIR show and THEIR music. Lets face it, all of this complaining is nit picking in the great scheme of things. There is nothing wrong with the setlist they played last night. Sure we all have different preferences and things we would like to see. Therein is the problem we all have DIFFERENT preferences. I dare say that 95% of that crowd last night thought the show was great and that is all that really matters.
well every review i have seen, said the show rocked, but i guess that dosent matter, its the people that sit behind there computers watching setlists and downloading bootlegs that really matter

and wait, wasnt this the first show in mexico since 97? so its fair to say that 95% of the people inside that stadium, hadnt even seen or heard that setlist performed?

chrissybaby said:
i really really hope that the Fly makes it back for the 4th leg shows. It was always a real highlight in a stadium on the 2nd leg. Just mind bendingly good to be at the front rail and see those words coming at you on that amazing screen.

Why do U2 always drop the best songs?

don't forget about ZOO STATION. That has to make an appearance ZOOner or later... :wink:

I like where they placed it in the setlist. Glad it wasn't the closer. Vertigo twice just sucks, its like your being robbed of a song. They got to stop that crap.

NELJES said:
I like where they placed it in the setlist. Glad it wasn't the closer. Vertigo twice just sucks, its like your being robbed of a song. They got to stop that crap.
why have they? just because you dont like it? if you feel your getting robbed of a song leave after yahweh

i couldnt give a rats ass anymore, but vertigo is a weak song to begin with and to play it twice is hilariously lame.

it is, however, somewhat original to play a song twice in one set (for a band that has the catalogue u2 has). originality is always good.

Blue Room said:

Obviously the band feel differently. You have a direct quote from someone within the organization that explains why they dont play for 2.5 hours. You disagree, fine, but I will go with U2 on what they feel works best for THEIR show and THEIR music.

U2 are notorious for under-selling themselves.

There is nothing wrong with the setlist they played last night.

Yes there is, but at least it's better than what they were playing at the end of the third leg with no Bad or Electric Co.

KUEFC09U2 said:
why have they? just because you dont like it? if you feel your getting robbed of a song leave after yahweh

Some people like it, some people don't. It's a simple matter of opinion. There have been positive and negative reactions from people who have attended shows it's happened at.

I for one am not a supporter of playing the same song twice in a show no matter who the artist is. I believe that a band with the size of U2's back catalogue who play between 23-25 songs a night, should not be playing the same song twice. If they love Vertigo as a set closer, then fine, close the set with it, but open the show with something else.

As I've always stated on these boards, I've seen U2 live on every tour since The Unforgettable Fire and I love the experience of attending a U2 show. If they play Vertigo twice when I see them here in Oz, I'm not going to cry about it - it will not ruin the experience one single bit for me, but I'd still say, without any shadow of a doubt, I'd rather have seen the set closed with something else.

Axver said:

U2 are notorious for under-selling themselves.

Yes there is, but at least it's better than what they were playing at the end of the third leg with no Bad or Electric Co.

In your opinion. Because its your opinion does not make it a fact. I'm sure there are thousands of people that actually attended last nights show that would disagree with you. In fact, on the average, I would say there would be more that would disagree than agree with you. Is their opinion wrong? How can it be, its their opinion. People here are the minority as is always pointed out. The "trainspotters" as Bono mockingly called those complaining about it. :shrug:

Also, are you seriously implying that you know what is better for U2 live than U2 themselves do? When you have can sellout stadiums accross the globe, then you can give them advice. Otherwise, they seem to be doing pretty well without it.

Last edited:
Yay! I will be so happy if we get bad here! Vertigo x 2 doesn't really bother me. I love vertigo, so I won't mind hearing it twice!

I always thought that playing Vertigo twice was a way of going back to the old days when they opened with 11'Oclock Tick Tock and Closed with it because they did not have enough songs to play.

I recently just experienced Vertigo x 2. U2 should just end the set w/ Vertigo and have a different opener. Both performances had great energy (2nd had more), it just doesn't make much sense for a band as big as U2 to play the same song twice.

Paul_Bono said:
I always thought that playing Vertigo twice was a way of going back to the old days when they opened with 11'Oclock Tick Tock and Closed with it because they did not have enough songs to play.

That is exactly the point. It is a gesture to their early tours and further links the Bomb to Boy. It may be awkward. It may be uncool. However, that is U2. I enjoy how the Bomb and Boy are linked.

Back
Top Bottom