anyone love this version of RTSS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
When I first saw it on the setlist, I was so pumped--it is in my top 10. When I also noticed that Bad wasn't being played, I thought, well RTSS will make up for it, and bring us that ecstatic U2 feeling that the great songs give us that really build emotionally in concert (much like AIWIY alternated with Bad on the last tour).

I have seen it on JT and Zoo TV, and it always built to a cresecendo that brought the house down. What is intereseting about this version is that it kind of sputters and fades, and never really builds. I wonder if it is worth playing the way they are doing it? What are your thoughts? Really for people who have seen it live ( i saw LA1 and LA2), but also thos who have heard the bootlegs.

Firstly, you've been told before, but your signature quote isn't by Bono. Can't remember who it's actually by, but it's definitely not Bono.

Secondly, this version of RTSS is brilliant. Just like all the songs on this tour, really. Damn, I'm loving this stuff.

its good, but i think the zootv version is the best theyve done...

wow-Axver--not really sure why you have so much anger about my sig (honest mistake--I had come across it on a non-U2 website some time ago, and it was attributed to Bono. I put it on a few years ago, and forgot about)--don't remember anyone correcting me about it--but sometimes I do not read every single reply on threads that are pages and pages long.

Which shows did you see? Also, to say every song was brilliant seems to miss the point. IMO, U2 has never writtten a bad song; however, certain versions are preferred by certain people. Am I to asuume that you like this version better than Zoo TV's version?

It's good, but not as good as previous incarnations.

Bring on the helicopter exit and lead into WTSHNN...that would be spectacular....

also - let the crowd sing "Still runnin', still runnin'"...sounds like they want to until Bono interrupts.....Oh well - his show...

i think the Lovetown and ZooTV version are better, but it's still brilliant.

One of my favorite u2 songs, its a blessing to have it back on the setlists.

Even though Edge plays a cool riff in the Zoo TV version, I think that this version builds up more with the paino and really sounds awesome; reminds me of the Joshua Tree days

Axver said:
Firstly, you've been told before, but your signature quote isn't by Bono. Can't remember who it's actually by, but it's definitely not Bono.

How the hell can you be so sure of this ??? How can anybody be sure that Bono never said something like this ?.

Unless you can prove that Bono never said this in his life, then maybe you should just keep quite.

First off, I love this song. The JT version is the original and is very nicely done. It does have a build up. The Zoo version is just amazing. Edge rips it apart into something totally different. I really love that version. This version is a bit of a mix between the two in a way. And I say that because of the allelujas(i think I might have spelled that wrong) anyways, it was a pleasure to hear it play live nonetheless. I will say this, the harmonica part would sound much better at the end. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?:(

I like that they've taken yet another approach to the song (Bono putting the harmonica at the start; mixing the Zoo-style "hallelujahs" with the more JT/Lovetown-style piano).

But critically I'd have to say that right now this version is a distant third. JT RTSS evolved into an amazing, raw, emotional showcase, and a real link between band and crowd. Zoo RTSS was just genius, and in my view even better. This version isn't as "true" so far as the JT take, and not as grand and creative as the Zoo take.

Still, I'll take RTSS every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Axver said:

Satchel Paige.

However, Bono has quoted it.

The Seattle2 version was great. Bono can play guitar here and there.

Considering what I've seen on video, RTSS on Zoo TV was much better, but it's always a great song. One of the betters IMO...

"
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
You know I took the poison
From the poison stream
Then I floated out of here
Singing ah la la la dey dey
(...)"

The new version is dull and linear. Plus, Bono's guitar playing is atrocious. he doesn't simply play chords, like he did in the past, but rather tries his hand at lead. He shouldn't.

:yes: I think the piano Edge is playing is a bit different than JT days, and some lovely keyboard sounds in the background too.

Plus, Bono's guitar playing is atrocious. he doesn't simply play chords, like he did in the past, but rather tries his hand at lead. He shouldn't.

Definitely. I have absolutely loved the Zoo TV version of RTSS, but like this new quiet version, with the quiet "hallelujahs" at the end, and the lead-in to the human rights declaration.

But Bono's guitar is distracting and harsh, and sounds out of tune. Like he's trying to "bend" the notes and failing. He needs to drop the guitar bit.

Back
Top Bottom