any reason for almost no 90's songs being played?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
general audience is not very interested , except for hardcore fans
they want new year's day , all the time

besides , they can't perform those songs in full power

because they want to piss you off.

Indeed.

Well, Bono has recently cited Achtung Baby as their best album, and Stay and Please, both '90's tracks, as their best songs.

So based on the fact that they hardly play any song from their best album and never play their best songs, one can assume this is their worst tour ever, or at least not as good as it could be. And I feel that is true. They keep playing their most overrated songs (Elevation, Vertigo and especially Vertigo II, for example), but forget completely about their best work. I really hope that will change for the next tour, if there will be one.

They market their latest greatest hits to the casual fan and relive their youth with songs hardcore fans would appreciate. Best of both worlds, don't you think? Discuss.

I find that to be close to the truth, actually, if "casual fan" is one who started listening to U2 since ATYCLB. They probably feel they can fill the stadiums with new, young audience by playing their new hits. But I (apparently not the only one) still miss their best tunes.
And casual fans actually sit down during BTBS and Miss Sarajevo. I've seen that in Milan, where Italians claim to be "the hottest U2 audience". Kind of sad.

sebo20 said:

Indeed.

So based on the fact that they hardly play any song from their best album and never play their best songs, one can assume this is their worst tour ever, or at least not as good as it could be. And I feel that is true. They keep playing their most overrated songs (Elevation, Vertigo and especially Vertigo II, for example), but forget completely about their best work. I really hope that will change for the next tour, if there will be one.

I find that to be close to the truth, actually, if "casual fan" is one who started listening to U2 since ATYCLB. They probably feel they can fill the stadiums with new, young audience by playing their new hits. But I (apparently not the only one) still miss their best tunes.
And casual fans actually sit down during BTBS and Miss Sarajevo. I've seen that in Milan, where Italians claim to be "the hottest U2 audience". Kind of sad.

I'm really starting to get bugged by this way of thinking. It's like on this forum you have to worship anything off of the 90's CD's and Pop must be in your top 3 favorite albums of all time, or you're "casual". You have to recognize Mofo as the best song ever recorded or your "casual." You have to want an all AB encore with no slow songs or crowd pleasers or you're "casual." I like the old hits. Are I not allowed to like Pride, Streets, SBS, Beautiful Day, and Elevation, because they're too "casual" I think this whole elitist view about U2's music only being good when it's expirimental is annoying. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the reason they play the most songs off of HTDAAB and Joshua Tree because they're the current album, and the most well recieved one? And that the songs off of the latter are the best and most popular they have ever made? No it couldn't possibly be that. They're just playing it casual.

There is a reason....and its only starting to get into the bands minds that its not THAT bad if they play stuff from 93-96...its like they've just relised they made Pop And Zooropa this leg. (Ok so they only played Discotheuqe Twice...but The First Time is a regular)

Bono talks that Pop and Zooropa have some great tunes, and yet there are only a couple of songs played from them on this tour.
There's a couple of reasons for that
A) They dont want to
B) They wont fit the type of show

B) is the more likely option, being honest most of the tracks from Zooropa and Pop only fit those particular tours (Daddys Gonna Pay, Lemon ect)
(Then again they are playing Discotheuqe without a '40 Foot lemon)

Still, there's no excuse why they can't play Stay, Dirty Day :wink: , Last Night On Earth, Please and probably others.
I think they've found a setlist (and a list of songs) that they are happy with playing , and wont change that.

Maybe we'll got more mid 90's next tour :shrug:

/End bono_man2002's crapping on session.

Lemonfix said:
even the Fly was played nearly every night on Elevation.

Didn't they pretty much drop the Fly after the first leg of Elevation. They did not play it at Slane, or when I saw them in Denver on the 3rd leg, and I think that was typical. The Fly was played way more on the Vertigo tour.

Though in line with this thread, I certainly think the ZooTV encore (or Discotheque) is way superior to the acoustic one, even though some of those songs are good ones.

drt4 said:

Didn't they pretty much drop the Fly after the first leg of Elevation. They did not play it at Slane, or when I saw them in Denver on the 3rd leg, and I think that was typical. The Fly was played way more on the Vertigo tour.

Yup.
The Fly was played for most of the first leg...the first few of the Euro leg, then it was rarley seen again...and then droped toward the end of the leg (London Possibly)

I think some of you don't realize that maybe it's possible that U2 is simply playing what THEY want to play.

Let me put it this way. I write/record my own songs---I've got about 18 completed songs right now. There are a few songs that my friends love and want me to play for them whenever we get together. I personally feel a couple of these songs are my best, but I very rarely like to play them. Why? Because I simply don't feel like playing them--I'm usually not in the mind frame of when I wrote these certain songs so I can't get 'into' them much right now. At times I'm totally into them and at times I'm not at all...it just happens! On top of that it usually happens slowly--over the course of months. Any musician will probably tell you this.

To quit rambling, I love the 90's--it's my favorite era. But seriously, some people need to quit whining and just let U2 play what U2 wants to play. Bono has said numerous times that he can't perform if he's not into a song at the time, so do you really want a half-assed Discotheque or Please?

I would agree with most of what's in here. In the end, it's what U2 wants to play, but they understand that if they were to play the "non-singles", that a lot of the crowd would just sit down and have no idea what's going on. Which is really sad. But that's what you get when you're a huge band.

People want the hits. When I was at Chicago, the douchebag I stood next to would know some of the words to U2's biggest songs (sbs, pride, one), but when a song like the fly, or an cat dubh was played. He just chugged his beer and was out of it. Quite a few people around me just looked bored.

Now to me, I couldn't even imagine acting like that. But then they probably don't share the same connection/love of the band. I learn to deal with it.

Would I love U2 to play more songs off of Zooropa/Pop, sure. I'd love to hear songs off of the UF or R&H. Just not going to happen. It won't keep me from seeing the band live when I get the opportunity.

I will share the opinion that the acoustic section doesn't do it for me. My personal preference would be to play the songs full band, especially in the 2nd encore. But I haven't heard the songs live in that format, and I haven't been there to experience it. Maybe I'd love it.

I do agree that some of the 90s songs aren't upto the theme of this tour.

This album "supposedly" was a visceral rock n' roll album and thus the theme. example: the red/black colours and the redness of the tour just seems a little rock n roll.

now zoo tv, was all about the 90s. Blue is what i think of when i listen to the 90s.

The tour is great I'll give you that. I heard Wild Horses and i just went insane at DC. It was great. A wonderful surprise.

But experimental U2 is really my territory. Because it's where the band experiments and the more eccentric side of the band comes out. thats whats U2 is all about. Being unique, different at every second.

But none the less its still a great tour, and I would love it if they put some 90s songs by taking out walk on, or stuck.

Miss sarajevo is nice too.

catlhere said:

I'm really starting to get bugged by this way of thinking. It's like on this forum you have to worship anything off of the 90's CD's and Pop must be in your top 3 favorite albums of all time, or you're "casual". You have to recognize Mofo as the best song ever recorded or your "casual." You have to want an all AB encore with no slow songs or crowd pleasers or you're "casual." I like the old hits. Are I not allowed to like Pride, Streets, SBS, Beautiful Day, and Elevation, because they're too "casual" I think this whole elitist view about U2's music only being good when it's expirimental is annoying. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the reason they play the most songs off of HTDAAB and Joshua Tree because they're the current album, and the most well recieved one? And that the songs off of the latter are the best and most popular they have ever made? No it couldn't possibly be that. They're just playing it casual.
:up:

drt4 said:

Yeah, my bad on that one, I saw seven shows last tour...and all of them were first leg. Not being a setlist junkie I just assumed.

I still think, as much as I would love to hear Zooropa songs, that the band probably doesn't think they fit the theme of this tour as well. Maybe they have soundchecked them, but maybe because they are/were trying to rework them into more straight rock songs. And yes, songs like Zoo Station were very much part of the Zootv experience, but AB songs are still not quite as out there as Zooropa songs. And lastly, a song like Discotheque, while having a Popmart identity, was a hyped, pretty well-known single in the states that was actually played in the states, both on Popmart and Elevation. The same cannot be said for songs off of Zooropa.

Now, this said, this is just my guess as to what the band is thinking. If it was up to me, I'd say bring on Daddy's gonna pay, but I don't see that happening this tour.

Zoomerang96 said:
it's absolutely amazing to me how they've gutted everything from the 90's from their setlists.

has there been any interview lately where they've stated WHY they're doing this?

are they really that ashamed of what they did? it's like the 90's have become their ugly stepchild or something.

it's seriously depressing.
Don't you know, the 90s never happened..... :no:

The current U2 must really hate the 90's what with bringing half of AB, five Pop songs, two Zooropa songs (including one not even played on Zoo TV) and a Passengers song onto American soil on Elevation and Vertigo.

Discotheque, Gone, Please, Staring at the sun, Wake up dead man.

On this tour, they rehearsed Mofo. So I don't think it's over for Pop songs just yet.

(my point was about the last two tours - the supposed "90s hating period" bringing out 90's material)

I'm still skeptical on Mofo being rehearsed. I think it could have been people getting excited hearing the Pop Muzik intro and Discotheque, at least in Toronto.

*MoFo* will happen in Vegas or LA, if not there, then nowhere else

maybe Daddy's Gonna Pay...

but Please, Gone, Last Night on Earth, Wake Up Dead Man, Stay, and the 2 above I think fit the theme of this tour, but it's all a matter of playing it and why play a song once if you're not planning on playing it again

Most of these songs might add on to Larry's ongoing problems too I think

I dont think the current set will change much for the rest of this tour now.
Maybe if they go end up coming to Australia ect...even that could/will only be a few slight adjustments.

Blue Room said:
I'm still skeptical on Mofo being rehearsed. I think it could have been people getting excited hearing the Pop Muzik intro and Discotheque, at least in Toronto.

Mofo was definitely rehearsed, the folks even heard Bono singing it.

Blue Room said:

I was one of the ones that heard it being rehearsed in Toronto. There were 6 or 7 of us sitting outside the doors listening. One of the entrances to the ACC is an inner entrance, where you enter off the street, get into this inner mall-type area (the box offices are just down from it), and then enter another set of glass doors to get into the venue. We were just outside those inner glass doors. We could hear very well. Mofo sounded less techno-y, more straight out rock. Bono wasn't singing straight through from beginning to end, as in a polished version, his vocals were more intermittent and choppy. What we heard was extremely cool sounding (I'd be extremely anxious to hear what they were rehearsing come to fruition) but rough, and would require a great deal more rehearsal. They ran through it for about 45 minutes.

We were there for the entire rehearsal, getting there just after Bono pulled into the ACC and leaving when it stopped (we met Bono and Edge outside after, where they met with fans). The whole rehearsal consisted of just Discotheque (played for nearly an hour) and then Mofo. There was no Pop Muzik intro played at all.

I was excited to hear Mofo, but believe me, I was not confused. I know it when I hear it. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:

"bono, your lips taste like candy," larry said.

"i KNEW you'd like the feist song," bono replied. "i knew it, and that's why i love you the way only i do..."
omg. that's awesome, although wildly inaccurate.

i don't think bono and larry are cool enough to listen to ms. feist.

Back
Top Bottom