A Fan's Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcusOneTree

Acrobat
Hey folks, I'm totally new to this forum but have been a big U2 fan for many years. This is my first thread here, so please bare with me...

I came up with a potential setlist a little while back and was just wondering what people think of it. Mind you, I'm aware of the setlist for yesterday's setlist, so I'm in NO WAY saying this is what the setlist will be. It's just a setlist I came up with, and actually I tweeked it a bit since I saw the rehearsal setlist. I'm still not totally pleased with it, but figured I'd see what fans think. Feel free to offer suggestions (as I'm sure you will). ;)

Please Note: the "/"s indicate an alternate, substitution, etc.

01. Love And Peace Or Else
02. City Of Blinding Lights
03. Vertigo
04. Bullet The Blue Sky
05. Gone
06. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
07. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
08. All Because Of You
09. Elevation

ACOUSTIC SET
10. Desire / Angel Of Harlem
11. Original Of The Species
12. Running To Stand Still

13. Bad
14. Miracle Drug
15. Crumbs From Your Table
16. Until The End Of The World
17. The Fly / Mysterious Ways
18. Where The Streets Have No Name

ENCORE
19. I Will Follow / Out Of Control
20. Beautiful Day
21. Pride / One
22. Yahweh

Last edited:
Thanks, U2Girl1978!

And what a quick reply, might I add. ;)

I was going for a "classic" setlist, basing the structure and choice of songs on previous tours. Looks like the setlist for the Vertigo Tour will be quite different though. Either way, I know it's gonna be an amazing show! Can't wait to see them in Montreal on Nov 26th... Man, that's a long wait! hehe

First up, good set! :up:

Secondly, nice to have two seventeenth songs. :wink: Seventeen's my favourite number so I won't complain!

Not sure about Gone being followed by SYCMIOYO, though. Then following Stuck with two upbeat songs ... I'd actually swap those, and have mellower songs lead into the acoustic set.

Also, something flowing into Streets would indeed be nice. I'm surprised the band are doing Pride/Streets this time around - at least at the rehearsal - but maybe it will work out? Should be interesting. I love stuff like RTSS/Please/Bad/AIWIY --> Streets. Though my favourite is One Tree Hill --> Heartland --> Bass Trap --> A Sort Of Homecoming --> Streets (one of my best personal creations if I may say so myself).

Oops! I corrected the double 17's. Thanks, Axver!

I guess I wanted SYCMIOYO to have a powerful impact (not that it wouldn't have it anyway...), going from a full-on rock song like Gone into a very sad, personal ballad---and "Gone" symbolizing the passing of Bono's father.

Then SIAMYCGOO is the reaction to SYCMIOYO (from a lyrical context), followed by ABOY which uplifts you from the two previous, more melancholic songs, and followed up by Elevation which continues what ABOY started.

At that point there's no where left to go but down (tempo-wise), so in comes the acoustic set, with Desire / AOH still being quite upbeat as far as acoustic songs go. :)

However, that being said, you've got a good point about WTSHNN... I forgot how they usually have a transition there. I'll definetely have to make a modification.

And I will try out that "personal creation" of yours (playing those songs back-to-back), it sounds very interesting. Not to mention the fact that OTH is one of my favourites! (Thus the nick.)

So thanks for your input, Axver. It's highly regarded given your insane knowledge of U2's setlists! :ohmy:

Last edited:
MarcusOneTree said:
I guess I wanted SYCMIOYO to have a powerful impact (not that it wouldn't have it anyway...), going from a full-on rock song like Gone into a very sad, personal ballad---and "Gone" symbolizing the passing of Bono's father.

Then SIAMYCGOO is the reaction to SYCMIOYO (from a lyrical context), followed by ABOY which uplifts you from the two previous, more melancholic songs, and followed up by Elevation which continues what ABOY started.

At that point there's no where left to go but down (tempo-wise), so in comes the acoustic set, with Desire / AOH still being quite upbeat as far as acoustic songs go. :)

That makes good sense. :up: Then I guess I don't have a quarrel with that order! I personally try to make songs flow in a sonic sense, and I often use particular songs to get from a very rocking section of the set to a sombre part, i.e. Bullet --> RTSS is very handy. I know that's not how U2 work, but I like to have cohesion of songs in that sense (though I sometimes use thematic flows too).

And I will try out that "personal creation" of yours (playing those songs back-to-back), it sounds very interesting. Not to mention the fact that OTH is one of my favourites! (Thus the nick.)

One Tree Hill is, in my opinion, U2's fourth-best song, and I've said it a LOT, but 26 December 1989's performance of it is the best live performance of any song by any band ever. That flow I posted above is part of an attempt at making a set that I can personally say is my best work, and I use half a page to describe how it flows together - and this from a guy who knows nothing about musical theory. I just link with lyrics or sounds in my head.

:happy: Cool, I'm glad you understand my thought process, and thanks again for the suggestions!

Basically, my approach is to try and create a setlist that flows in a sonic AND lyrical way, which can often be incredibly difficult! But U2 are one of those bands where it usually works regardless. I guess the calibre of their songs helps a great deal. :wink:

Ah, now you've got me curious as to your Top 3 U2 songs... hehe Please do tell.

Also, if you don't mind, could you send me that performance of OTH (the 26 December 1989's performance)? It would be so appreciated! marcuskinn66@go.com

And while you're at it can you post here (or send me via e-mail, whichever) your best setlist? (including the pages upon pages of explanations... hehe) I'm very much interested in giving it a listen, and enjoy reading other people's approaches and reasonings regarding setlists, tracklists, etc. :)

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I re-worked the setlist a bit. Let me know what you think if this would be the setlist on the night you see U2 this tour.
And again, I'm in NO WAY stating this will be the setlist. :p

Axver, as always, do your "thing". ;)

01. Love And Peace Or Else
02. Vertigo
03. Bullet The Blue Sky
04. Gone
05. City Of Blinding Lights
06. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
07. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
08. All Because Of You
09. Elevation

ACOUSTIC SET
10. Desire / Angel Of Harlem
11. Original Of The Species
12. Running To Stand Still

13. Bad
14. The Fly
15. Until The End Of The World
16. The Electric Co.
17. Miracle Drug
18. Where The Streets Have No Name

ENCORE
19. I Will Follow / Out Of Control
20. Beautiful Day
21. Yahweh
22. “40” / One

Last edited:
I honestly think the rehearsal setlist was better than any of the fan sets I've seen.

So much hate for "An Cat Dubh" 'round here.

At the risk of turning this into a "post your setlist at will" thread, here's one that i worked up while looking at MarcusOneTree's and thinking about the rehearsal set:

And typhoon, how's second and third song for some An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart love?

01 love and peace or else
02 an cat dubh
03 into the heart
04 beautiful day
05 miracle drug
06 sometimes...
07 i will follow
08 gone
09 crumbs
10 in god's country / desire / angel of harlem // acoustic
11 original of the species / stuck in a moment // acoustic
12 running to stand still // acoustic
13 zoo station
14 the fly
15 vertigo

16 streets
17 city of blinding lights
18 the electric co.
19 all because of you

(human rights video perhaps?)

20 one (walk on snippet like Irving Plaza)
21 yahweh
22 40

Tip Top Prince said:
Not to knock you guys too much, but I think the boys have proved (once again) that A) they know what they are doing and B) they do it better than any of us.

For once, I completely agree with you. That exact thought ran through my mind yesterday at the end of the show.

MarcusOneTree said:
Basically, my approach is to try and create a setlist that flows in a sonic AND lyrical way, which can often be incredibly difficult!

Agreed. One thing I love about U2 is that they often take songs I don't think really work together and make them flow perfectly - i.e. Bad into Bullet on ZooTV. I never would have put that in a set myself but they pulled it off so incredibly.

Ah, now you've got me curious as to your Top 3 U2 songs... hehe Please do tell.

Ah, my (in)famous top nine list!

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Bad
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. One Tree Hill
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Heartland
7. New Year's Day
8. Acrobat
9. Gone

And my favourite song is any performance of 11 O'clock Tick Tock live.

Also, if you don't mind, could you send me that performance of OTH (the 26 December 1989's performance)? It would be so appreciated! marcuskinn66@go.com

Not sure if I've got it in MP3, but I'll see what I can do for you!

And while you're at it can you post here (or send me via e-mail, whichever) your best setlist? (including the pages upon pages of explanations... hehe) I'm very much interested in giving it a listen, and enjoy reading other people's approaches and reasonings regarding setlists, tracklists, etc. :)

The set I'm working on now is a work in progress - I'm trying not to force it. The problem is that I have no clue about music or theory, so there's probably bad key changes all over the place; I just put songs together that I think work well. And in the past, I believe U2 have seamlessly flowed together songs in different keys, so I think I can get away with it. :wink:

I'll gladly e-mail you what I have done, though. If I remember later, heh. I'm slack with e-mails ...

Back
Top Bottom