6 shows since 1987 without "Bullet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I feel priveledged to have attended a U2 show WITHOUT bullet the blue sky. That was 10/10/01 in South Bend, Indiana. But I researched on Axver's site to see how many other shows Bullet has not been played at since it's release. Here are the results.

10/3/89- Brisbane
10/27/89- Adelaide
11/11/89- Auckland
11/23/89- Yokohama
12/18/89- Amsterdam
10/10/01- South Bend

6 shows, 5 of those in 1989. Only one show on a full scale U2 concert as part of a tour has not featured "Bullet the blue sky" in the last 16 years. It's not even that good of a song, not a popular hit single. Why do they insist on playing it so much???? And I wonder why they didn't play it at the South Bend show?

Mayby they just like to play it? And like adrball said above: really, it's a GREAT song live, one of their best. If someone tells me U2 is only about pop-rock or slow ballads then I show him Zoo TV or Boston Elevation version of Bullet. Edge's solo and Bono's psychodelic rap is always thrilling. Later Vertigo versions are also great, especially the "Johnny comes marching home... HOME... HOOOME!!!" part!

I'm guessing it wasnt played in South Bend because it was the first show after 9/11, and earlier performances have a sort of half anti-American vibe, something that wasn't really needed at that point in time.
Of course, that doesn't explain why they have resumed playing it at each concert ever since.

And it might be very easy to sing for Bono????
A nice breather for him inbetween harder to sing songs! ( SBS & MS this tour )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Wow, I thought I'd always heard it but I was at the South Bend show so I guess not. Fun times, as I have always thought it's the most overrated live song and they need to drop it. :|

Cheers for the info.

You lucky bastard! Yeah, it's not a great song. If i wasn't in GA I would have used the song for a toilet break. Instead I just used it to stand still and rest, save my energy.

'Bullet' stays because of it's message, both behind the band being against guns, as well as the handling of countries, based on other countries.

'Bullet' can be interpreted new ways now, given in the world's current phase.

The solo is really great on that song, and granted Bono can't sing it that well, but the song itself is still one of my favorites from the Joshua Tree.

Bullet's a great song but this tour's version has seriously lacked power. If the band gave it the strength and anger it had during ZooTV, it'd be amazing.

Now for something that sucks in my opinion. Since it was released on Achtung Baby, One has never missed a concert. I'm pretty sure this is correct and hopefully, Axver could back me up on this. I think it's the only U2 song for this to be true of. I think the band really has to do something to breath some new life into the song because since the Elevation Tour, it's just sounded dead to me.

Joey788 said:

Now for something that sucks in my opinion. Since it was released on Achtung Baby, One has never missed a concert. I'm pretty sure this is correct and hopefully, Axver could back me up on this. I think it's the only U2 song for this to be true of. I think the band really has to do something to breath some new life into the song because since the Elevation Tour, it's just sounded dead to me.

agreed. I ALWAYS make this the spot to make a quick dash for the bathroom if need be.

Joey788 said:

You're pretty much right on this one. Beautiful Day and Elevation also haven't missed a show since their debut (as well as a few HTDAAB songs, but given the Vertigo Tour isn't even over, that's not a shock!), but I don't really consider those two songs to be on the same level as One as they haven't been around 15+ years! One really, really badly needs a rest. Even moreso than Bullet.

Another song that needs to go is Pride. Even more alarmingly than One's run, Pride hadn't missed a concert from its debut in 1984 until 2001's Elevation Tour. It missed a few shows in the early stages of that tour and has now returned to being a regular again. But yes, it was at every UF, JT, Lovetown, ZooTV, and Popmart show, and I think it hit all the Conspiracy Of Hope shows.

How does U2 not get sick of playing these songs ad nauseum? :huh:

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I'm guessing it wasnt played in South Bend because it was the first show after 9/11, and earlier performances have a sort of half anti-American vibe, something that wasn't really needed at that point in time.
Of course, that doesn't explain why they have resumed playing it at each concert ever since.

I dont think that was it. I was at this show so I was privilaged not to have to hear it. :wink: ( I like the song, it could just take a more extensive break for me. )

I think they were experimenting with a new setlist at the time and didnt think Bullet fit the flow of that setlist. So it was not done that night. The interesting thing is they originally were going to go with the standard Elevation opener that night and changed their minds right before the show. If they had gone with the original I think Bullet would have been done.

What is really odd is that they were also going to do a full band Peace On Earth but scrapped that idea also at the last minute.

definitely time for a rest, i thought love and peace or else would have taken its place on this tour

i hope please takes it place next tour

Axver said:

You're pretty much right on this one. Beautiful Day and Elevation also haven't missed a show since their debut (as well as a few HTDAAB songs, but given the Vertigo Tour isn't even over, that's not a shock!), but I don't really consider those two songs to be on the same level as One as they haven't been around 15+ years! One really, really badly needs a rest. Even moreso than Bullet.

Another song that needs to go is Pride. Even more alarmingly than One's run, Pride hadn't missed a concert from its debut in 1984 until 2001's Elevation Tour. It missed a few shows in the early stages of that tour and has now returned to being a regular again. But yes, it was at every UF, JT, Lovetown, ZooTV, and Popmart show, and I think it hit all the Conspiracy Of Hope shows.

How does U2 not get sick of playing these songs ad nauseum? :huh:

Axver`s right ,

I also think One needs a rest , the tune has gone down the hill after Popmart I think?

And yeah...Pride:madspit: definetly needs a rest , has been overplayed since Zoo-TV.

And I also wouldn`t mind if ISHFWILF was skipped the next tour.
That one becomes also a bit overplayed I think?

Cheers Friends ,

Mauwer

p.s. If there was one song I expected to return for the Vertigo Tour it was Gone....do I miss that tune:sad:

One, Pride and I still haven't found... need a rest or a new arrangement.

Bullet at least gets reinvented each tour.

U2girl said:
One, Pride and I still haven't found... need a rest or a new arrangement.

Bullet at least gets reinvented each tour.

Could agree more.

One is feeling tired, but they can't drop it with the 'One-Campaign'. Perhaps it will get a long overdue rest next tour.

Pride has been one of my all time favourites and probably the song that 'hooked' me. But there's been a lot of new material since then and there's plenty of stuff that deserves a showing instead.

One definitely bothers me more than Bullet. One completely grates on my nerves, especially with the 10-minute Bono speech. It just kills the song.

Bullet still at least has some energy live. But I agree that it needs a rest too. At the very least, I'd like to see it rotate with NYD/SBS.

Still Haven't Found could also take a break and I wouldn't miss it. Elevation falls into that category too.

I can't believe some of you have to go to the bathroom during a concert. Maybe you should just stay home.

It's one of their best live songs and definitely one of their most rock n' roll ones. It's one of those songs that the people who are not huge fans are not expecting because of the way it starts and that slide riff. That big boom at the beginning seems to catch most people off guard and they get surprised, I think the band loves that. Plus I think Bono likes to improvise after the solo and Edge loves to play that classic rock solo. We have many great versions of it so I wouldn't mind if they gave it a rest but if they are going to stop playing this one then I feel like they should also stop playing some other ones that in my opinion are less interesting and special now days live.

Joey788 said:
Bullet's a great song but this tour's version has seriously lacked power. If the band gave it the strength and anger it had during ZooTV, it'd be amazing.

It's one of their biggest hits, why would they not play it?
If they are in a city for more than one night then I think they could do with swapping it with something else a couple of nights, and for that matter change a few other of their songs.
I'm pretty sure alot of fans go to see a u2 gig for the hits, and One is one of them. Not everyone gets to more than one concert a tour, and If I didn't hear One I would feel short changed!

Agreed bullet rocks live :rockon:

HyperU2 said:
I can't believe some of you have to go to the bathroom during a concert. Maybe you should just stay home.

Agreed. I can understand going before the show. But during? They would have to drag me away kicking and screaming. And that is even after seeing the same predictable setlist/show night after night. I'd rather piss against the guy in front of me.

And while I love to NEVER EVER hear One or ISHFWILF again, and even think Pride needs a major rest, no friggin' chance in hell! These songs aren't crowdpleasers for nothing and I imagine most of the audience would miss them when not played. Especially One, which I loath with a passion but I can see the sea of guys hugging their girls during it around me.

It is great live but they need to drop this and a couple other "workhorse songs" from the tour that supports the next album. This one single move will move them back into uncomfortable territory...

and uncomfortable is the place where the band is at its best

Back
Top Bottom