40 ends the 2nd leg and Portugal show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
U2 closed with '40' for the final song of their 2nd leg tour of Europe. This is actually quite stunning considering they were gonna play Vertigo again -- but I wonder if this means that they are going to play '40' for the 3rd leg of the tour?

Let us all sincerely hope the Vertigo x2 bollocks is over.

Axver said:
Let us all sincerely hope the Vertigo x2 bollocks is over.

Lets hope the negative reviews of Vertigo x2 have been heard. I think U2 realizes people want 40 back...

i dont want 40 back, i like vertigo as a closer, but it shouldnt be played twice in a show

no, not really.

look at the first leg when they played vertigo twice, i would think they played that at the 'special' shows. new york city, boston 3(last show on the first leg) and NJ1 just to name three of them.

they played it at almost every show in the 2nd leg so they could show off their video wall/lighting effects, so i hardly think they save it for 'special' shows.

edit: i said it before and i'll say it again, having seen all three closers on multiple occasions: bad>vertigox2>40.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i dont want 40 back, i like vertigo as a closer, but it shouldnt be played twice in a show

I dont mind the Vertigo 2x's, but I agree it is a good closer and it would be cool if it was only done as the closer.

I say Bad or Vertigo should be the closers for the third leg. My guess though is that all 3 will be done as closers at some point on the third leg and the Vertigo 2x's will be done at least at a few shows.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks "40" is slow and boring - even the chant part.

The Vertigox2 is FUN, but it IS odd to end a show on a 'high' - usually you get a ballad (Love Is Blindness:drool: ).

How long to sing this song?
Too BLOODY long :madspit:

I agree w/ Blue Room about using Bad (pref. Bad/40) or Vertigo as a closer. I don't care for the idea of Vertigox2, mainly because there are too many other songs that I'd love to hear. If they tossed it in as a surprise in a 24-25 songs set, where it felt like something that was added on, then I guess that's fine (does that make sense?) I think it's cool to end the show on such an energizing note, and Vertigo is really fun live, but twice? If they want it to close the show w/ it, fine, but just end w/ it.

I like 40 and I was glad I saw it close at BostonI, but I think I like the idea of Bad w/ a snippet of 40 so much better. The couple of shows from the first leg w/ this combo sounded great. Bad's always a big plus, and then you still get to end it w/ the "how long"s.

they kind of did that except without bad in new jersey 1.

all because of you
yahweh
edge adam and bono are all gone, larry's doing his 40 drum solo and then rips into the vertigo beat and the rest of u2 come back on stage.

Everyone moaning about Vertigo played twice were any of you actually at the gigs in Europe??

Well I was at 9 of them it was a great opener and a great ending usually with the 2nd time being the best!!

Leave them on a high!! and they did!!

MarcusOneTree said:
How about this for the 2nd Encore?

Bad
Vertigo

U2 would disappear off the stage during the "How long..." singalong, then re-appear and close with Vertigo.

How about no?

Vertigo x2 can piss the hell off. I saw it in Boston and it can't even compare to Bad/40. That's such an amazing closer.

Bono's Tart said:
Everyone moaning about Vertigo played twice were any of you actually at the gigs in Europe??

Well I was at 9 of them it was a great opener and a great ending usually with the 2nd time being the best!!

Leave them on a high!! and they did!!

I wasn't at any of the Euro shows, but I was at the Brooklyn Bridge show, and while I definitely agree that Vertigo is a great closer, I think it should only close if it hasn't been played earlier in the set. I hear you on the "people who weren't there should bitch" sentiment, but I went into my spring show thinking I'd be damned if I went to 1 1/2 U2 shows (because really, you can't really count Brooklyn as a full-fledged show) and walked away hearing Vertigo FOUR times!

Axver said:
How about no?

Vertigo x2 can piss the hell off. I saw it in Boston and it can't even compare to Bad/40. That's such an amazing closer.

The thing with this tour is that U2 seem to like ending on a high note more than in previous tours where the last encore was mostly ballads like Love Is Blindness, One, Wake Up Dead Man, etc.

Though they closed with 40 for most of the 1st leg, the 2nd leg was predominantly closed with Vertigo (much to the dismay of many who frequent these boards). I'm not sure if this will carry over to the 3rd leg but if it does Bad -> 40 -> Vertigo would still give you the amazing Bad -> 40 encore, with Vertigo as the official closer.

I dunno, just seems like a good way to please most people...... here anyway. :wink:

Last edited:
i was sort of enjoying making fun of the vertigox2 threads.

Oh well....I'd rather be able to see a better closer, than continue makin fun of people who think they were the first to realize that u2 played vertigox2

MarcusOneTree said:

The thing with this tour is that U2 seem to like ending on a high note more than in previous tours where the last encore was mostly ballads like Love Is Blindness, One, Wake Up Dead Man, etc.

I dunno, just seems like a good way to please most people...... here anyway. :wink:

1. Last tour closed with Walk On though, kind of an upbeat song. So the trend appears to be going towards ending upbeat over the last 2 tours.

2. There is no way to please most people here and U2 are not trying, they are trying to put the best show together for a mass audience that go to A show and dont read the setlists ahead of time. That isnt 90% of the people here.

Blue Room said:
1. Last tour closed with Walk On though, kind of an upbeat song. So the trend appears to be going towards ending upbeat over the last 2 tours.

2. There is no way to please most people here and U2 are not trying, they are trying to put the best show together for a mass audience that go to A show and dont read the setlists ahead of time. That isnt 90% of the people here.

Good point. So that being said, people should have expected this tour to have a more upbeat closer? :wink:

Seriously though, excluding Walk On, the rest of the songs in the 2nd encore / closing encore of almost every tour (including most shows of the Vertigo Tour's 1st leg) tended to be slower, more ballad-esque songs. So closing with a rock song like Vertigo is sort of new ground---not only for U2 fans, but U2 themselves.

Perhaps that is why it's being met with what appears to be a lot of resistance on these boards. Well that and the fact that it's being played twice... Personally I don't think it's the ultimate sin that some are making it out to be, but then again I actually like the song. I suppose if I didn't like it I would feel differently about them playing it twice. :shrug:

To get a bit more on-topic, as much as I love "40" as a closer, I find the singalong it inspires could maybe disappoint some of the people in the crowd who believe if they keep singing U2 will come back on for another song. Maybe I'm the only who feels that way, but one way around it would be to do just that:

Bad -> "40"

(Band exits stage for a moment, then reappears to close with their current, most rockin' number...)

Vertigo

:rockon:

U2mixer said:
Am I the only one who thinks "40" is slow and boring - even the chant part.

Not to mention overdone in the 80's already.

Too slow for the energetic set they're playing on this tour. Bad is a great closer but it doesn't seem to be regular, and Vertigo 2x is fine by me.

(HTDAAB tour should have a HTDAAB song closing)

U2girl said:

Not to mention overdone in the 80's already.

Too slow for the energetic set they're playing on this tour. Bad is a great closer but it doesn't seem to be regular, and Vertigo 2x is fine by me.

(HTDAAB tour should have a HTDAAB song closing)

Joshua Tree tour didn't have a JT closing song... neither did some of the legs of Popmart...

Like I said overdone 40 in the 80s.

Some of Popmart shows had Wake up dead man closing.

I was referring more to the Zoo TV and Elevation tours with the "HTDAAB song closing" comment.

Last edited:
Having experienced the Vertigo 2x I have to admit it works as a closer. I just wished they opened with something else instead. Vertigo is just not a natural opening song. COBL is far better suited to that and thanks to 3rd leg indoor arenas it can be used again.
Then again the closing Vertigo works so well is because it is being played for the 2nd time.
Preferably they should rotate their ending songs. One night 40, one night Bad, one night 2nd Vertigo. Something they most definately should have done in Europe. It gives some highly needed variation if you don't know which song closes the set and the general audience will love any of these 3 anyway. I found fans leaving the Amsterdam ArenA to be just as energized and happy when 40 closed the set on the 3rd night as when they did the regular 2nd Vertigo .

I think Vertigox2 rocks.

As MarcusOneTree says, we should have Vertigox2 AND 40. Everyone'd be happy : )

Back
Top Bottom