4-9-05 Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet) / Hello Hello I'm Back Again (snippet)
Elevation
The Cry
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

encore(s):
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
All Because Of You
Yahweh

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1275.html

:down:

'Cause it's the exact same set as the night before, give or take some snippets.

Diemen said:
Why the thumbs down?

Same set as LA2. I know this is U2 and we all saw it coming, but for some reason it frustrated me earlier.

And I sincerely hope they don't think playing The Ocean is a justifiable substitute for ISHFWILF, Gloria, or any other song.

The Ocean is also a very short song.
Its actually a 20,5 song setlist, compared to the usual 22. A little disappointing.

But it's still a great setlist, and I love that Mysterious Ways has stayed this far.

Mullen4Prez said:
And I sincerely hope they don't think playing The Ocean is a justifiable substitute for ISHFWILF, Gloria, or any other song.

I think its is....

Without meaning to start a huge outrage here, but there's probably quite a difference to what long time U2 fans consider to be a great set list addition to what those who have not been fans of the band so long, consider to be a great addition.

I'm not saying by any means that all 'newer' or 'younger' fans are unfamiliar with the older stuff and therefore do not appreciate it as much as later material, but in some cases it probably is an accurate view.

Many 'newer/younger' fans have also not seen the band live before, and are probably getting to do so for the first time on this tour, so it is understandable in some respects that they want to see the band play their favorite songs. However, at the end of the day, the band have the final say on the set, and they have 25+ years of material and 25+ years worth fans to try and please in a two hour show. Bono has also already explained why these songs are being played after so long.

It cracks me up to hear people having a grumble about the set lists. I'm sure fans of U2 who actually went to the show were not grumbling afterwards and I'm sure whether you've seen the band live or not before, you won't be grumbling no matter what set they give you on the night. And as I've said before, if you want to grumble, don't go, and give your ticket to someone who will appreciate whatever set list is played!!!

I've seen the band play many many times live, and even when they've had a bad night (Manchester August 12th 2001 for one), it's still a better show than some bands best efforts. What you experience at a live show you cannot get from a bootleg or a set list in a book with a little description of the show. It is something very very different.

I'm not having a pop at anyone, as we're all entitled to an opinion, but being a long time fan, I personally think it's brilliant that they've dug The Ocean out of the vault. I'd love to see them play it live....maybe when they get out to Oz next February I will :wink:

While your point is understood, Neilm, playing "The Ocean" as opposed to "Gloria" or "I Still Haven't..." really doesn't fall in-line with your argument about older songs and hit songs regarding new fans. That is, a brand new fan probably also hasn't heard "Gloria" either (as U2 inexplicably left it off the 80's "Best Of") and, as shocking as this may seem, "I Still Haven't" is now 17 years old!! :ohmy: So a new fan, say someone who's 15 and got into U2 because of "Vertigo" might not know "I Still Haven't..." either. Therefore, playing "The Ocean" could be just as alien as those other songs.

That said, I really do think these are rather short setlists. I think U2 should play 25 or 26 songs instead of 22. This would allow them to add another HTDAAB track as well as a few other older tracks. And given that the average ticket price is $100, I think a few extra songs is justifiable.

Well, I'll be thrilled to hear The Ocean or An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart or The Electric Co. and prefer those to ISHFWILF. Those Boy songs haven't been played for 15 to 25 years and I don't know if we'll ever hear them again in future tours, whereas I think the big hits always will return for some concerts.

And oh, I counted 22 songs, not 20.5. :)

And with all this :down: about the setlist, I'd be thrilled to hear this set in NYC in May. OK, if I'd have my say then Elevation, Beautiful Day, NYD, SBS, BTBS, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Pride and One can go and be replaced with other songs I haven't heard live for 12 years or even at all, but I know that won't happen. Thus, I'm happy with all the rarities they're playing.

C ya!

Marty

doctorwho said:

That said, I really do think these are rather short setlists. I think U2 should play 25 or 26 songs instead of 22. This would allow them to add another HTDAAB track as well as a few other older tracks. And given that the average ticket price is $100, I think a few extra songs is justifiable.

Definitely agree with that.

I'm not expecting three hours like Springsteen, but a couple more songs would make the setlists even more varied, and allow them to change up some things more frequently.

phanan said:

Definitely agree with that.

I'm not expecting three hours like Springsteen, but a couple more songs would make the setlists even more varied, and allow them to change up some things more frequently.
but this is an avarage length for a U2 setlist, look through all the tours they dont play 25 songs a night simple as that, plus its unfair to start saying about high ticket prices, considering most concerts now are around the same price,

right now I predict the same basic set for the rest of the 1st leg.

22 songs is all right. I agree for $ more would be better. During the 3rd leg of elevation they were playing around 19 songs, which was a little too short.

JOFO said:

I agree, the only variations probably coming in multiple night stands in Chicago and Boston. Look for I Will Follow and Until the End of the World. Not new, but new to the tour, and most likely very rehearsed.

Well i just think about the people who don't look at setlists after every show...they have no clue what has been played before so for them its brand new. ...so maybe those people are few, but there are some.

With all due respect, the setlists early in the tour have almost always been about 22 songs at about 2 hours, which most typically has been 16 + 3 + 3. By early summer they're usually up to 24 songs and 2:15 at the very most - but in the fall the show length can be expected to shorten to 20 songs at 1:45. While you never know, I would think the May 21 MSG show will be the longest of the first leg since there are 2 days off before and the band will want to be at their best for the media/elites.

Gotta be realistic. A band that is widely renowned for being arguably the 2nd best live rock act ever (behind Bruce) is not going to start lengthening the show significantly at the age of 45!

So I'd get used to 2 hours or a little less.

yeah u2 and chili peppers barley get to two hours. in fact chili peppers never play a full lengh 2 hour show EVER. they get a sopmewhat well known band or well know band to play with them. so thye chili peppers do 90-100 mins! i kinda don;'t understand why they don;t go 2:15 all the time or mabey close to 2.5. the stones, and the dead, far older play far longer. and the cure, the same age, play longer.

this is EASILY my favourite setlist of the tour.

wasn't expecting them to play (insert song here), what a treat!

allbecauseofu2 said:
yeah u2 and chili peppers barley get to two hours. in fact chili peppers never play a full lengh 2 hour show EVER. they get a sopmewhat well known band or well know band to play with them. so thye chili peppers do 90-100 mins! i kinda don;'t understand why they don;t go 2:15 all the time or mabey close to 2.5. the stones, and the dead, far older play far longer. and the cure, the same age, play longer.

Well, the Stones also play less than 2 hours. I don't think they had a concert that was longer than 2 hours on their last tour...

JOFO said:

Pff, during Elevation the final basic setlist only came about halfway during the 1st leg and some songs played in the beginning were never played again. It's still to early to tell.

Axver said:

Same set as LA2. I know this is U2 and we all saw it coming, but for some reason it frustrated me earlier.

Axver, have you been to any of the shows on this tour yet?

I'm all for them playing old material, but The Ocean instead of Gloria, A Cad Dubh/Into The Heart?

It's the worst song off of boy. WHY??

TheRat said:
I'm all for them playing old material, but The Ocean instead of Gloria, A Cad Dubh/Into The Heart?

It's the worst song off of boy. WHY??

Because, as Bono, says, it fits in well in the current set list as An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart do.

I sincerely hope it stays in the set throughout the tour. A very welcome addition. It's great to hear it being played live again after all these years.

Also, if you listen to The Ocean, especially in it's live format now, you should find it a superb piece of ambient music. Short yes, but excellent all the same. One of the reasons I love this band U2 so much.

Last edited:
i was front row for this show, right between edge and bono. the concert was the best show i've ever seen. the setlist was awesome, who the hell cares if it's the same it still rocked!

nuke126 said:
i was front row for this show, right between edge and bono. the concert was the best show i've ever seen. the setlist was awesome, who the hell cares if it's the same it still rocked!

To all who have not yet seen the band play live on this tour or any other and keep having a moan about the setlists - take note......this is how it feels after actually being at the show.

Great post nuke126 :lol:

I think it's cool that the Ocean is like an intro to New Years' Day or an Outro to Electric Co, if you remember October used to be the Intro to New Year's Day, and Ocean used to intro/outro 11 o Clock. Also Things to Make and Do use to Outro the Electric Co, to give Bono a moment to catch his breath after running around.

If they snippeted it for an intro and not use it to replace better songs it would be ok.

I was in the ellipse for this show, and I just wanted to say that the people around me were all very cool. I was "undercover" but it was so much better when you're amongst nice fans.

I was pretty much dead center between 3-5 people back.

Very good show, but perhaps not as mindblowing as Elevation because the heart thing was so new. I love Bono's African-style singing during Streets, although I know many feel he talks too much at the beginning.

I admit I was a bit underwhelmed by The Ocean and would have preferred ACD/ITH or Gloria, but I just feel honored to have heard any of these excavated treasures.

Also, I now wish I would have attended the second San Jose night as OOTS was debuted (still don't know if it was the crappy Brooklyn Bridge version or not though), but of course then I would have missed Zoo Station.

Hopefully I'll get a different shake at Los Angeles in the fall....

laz

Back
Top Bottom