2006 Tour Rehearsals....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In2U2

The Fly
Are the band doing any rehearsing for the 4th leg currently or do they only allow themselves 2-3 days before the launch of the 4th leg?

It seems Bono has been really emersed in in his politics (with Time Magazine and all) but I haven't read any news of the band actually being all together or doing any rehearsing.

I hope Bono's work doesn't strain the band. I know they support him but too much time away could really take a toll on the band.

I'm sure Paul McGuinness keeps an ever watchful eye on the band dynamic and reels in Bono if he gets too off the planet (or Adam, Larry and Edge do that as well).

Anyway....

Any tour rehearsal rumors out there....I'd love to hear them when they pop up.

Bono is McGuiness's boss. Bono will do what he wants and McGuiness isnt going to tell him what to do.

They will most likely rehearse a couple days before the first show in Mexico, maybe a few days in the studio prior to that (IE in Dublin or France). But that will probably be it.

Blue Room said:
Bono is McGuiness's boss. Bono will do what he wants and McGuiness isnt going to tell him what to do.

They will most likely rehearse a couple days before the first show in Mexico, maybe a few days in the studio prior to that (IE in Dublin or France). But that will probably be it.
unless they are planning on introducing a ton of new songs into the set of course

KUEFC09U2 said:
unless they are planning on introducing a ton of new songs into the set of course
Yeah, right.
I'm praying for Mofo & One Tree Hill to appear and that's it.
Anything more would be too ambitious...

i heard that while in dublin the band had plans to rehearse a bit as well as getting in the studio to possibly record some of the things edge has been working on during the tour. i also heard they didn't introduce new complicated songs such as mofo into the 3rd leg set because Bono didn't want to rehearse anymore, and Edge didn't want try playing complicated songs without enough rehearsal time. thus they compromised and we ended up with the acoustic encores.

so all this leads me to believe we should see a few new songs, such as mofo, on the third leg. that is if they follow through on their plans to rehearse while in dublin.

Chizip said:
i also heard they didn't introduce new complicated songs such as mofo into the 3rd leg set because Bono didn't want to rehearse anymore, and Edge didn't want try playing complicated songs without enough rehearsal time. thus they compromised and we ended up with the acoustic encores.

so all this leads me to believe we should see a few new songs, such as mofo, on the third leg. that is if they follow through on their plans to rehearse while in dublin.

Acoustic encores? Because Bono is lazy? I think you may be onto something there. Here we thought it was something else. :wink: The other part of it though is Bono actually liked the feel of acoustic encores. (plus he didnt have to rehearse much as mentioned)

Regarding Dublin, I would say its a big IF for them to do any time of extended rehearsal there. But you never know I guess. I think Mofo is a real possibility in Mexico and S. America anyway. One Tree Hill in NZ and maybe Australia (although my guess would be One Tree Hill acoustic or snippeted). The only other song I could see getting added that would fit is maybe Even Better Than The Real Thing. They typically can get that down with limited rehearsal and it would fit in the Zoo encore.

Larry came around for lunch today and told me the band's been rehearsing Cartoon World, though Adam's insisting on re-inventing it with a tuba rather than bass.

Axver said:
Larry came around for lunch today and told me the band's been rehearsing Cartoon World, though Adam's insisting on re-inventing it with a tuba rather than bass.

Edge Skyped me this evening and said he was trying to talk the others into bringing Father Is An Elephant out of the vault. The only concern was Bono saying he couldn't remember the words.....:wink:

Blue Room said:

I think Mofo is a real possibility in Mexico and S. America anyway. One Tree Hill in NZ and maybe Australia (although my guess would be One Tree Hill acoustic or snippeted).

If Spain didn't get Spanish Eyes (like it usually does as a tour one-off) and New York didn't get New York for any of the 10 shows, I highly doubt they'll pull One Tree Hill out for 8 shows.

DubbalinGirl said:

If Spain didn't get Spanish Eyes (like it usually does as a tour one-off) and New York didn't get New York for any of the 10 shows, I highly doubt they'll pull One Tree Hill out for 8 shows.

They will in some form. They have always done a version of it (snippet or full blown band) when they play New Zealand because of Greg Carroll. So it will be done most likely in some form. Could just be a snippet though as I said. Not sure why that is unlikely considering they snippeted it in Oakland already on this tour. :shrug: I say Australia is a possibility because IF they did rehearse a full band version and played it in NZ and it worked, they would use it more in Australia as well.

I dont see Spanish Eyes as the same thing though as One Tree Hill. One Tree Hill has a specific connection to the country of NZ. Spanish Eyes isnt even about Spain. :shrug: Also, Spanish Eyes has not always been done when they play Spain. It was not done there on the Zooropa or Popmart tours.

Last edited:
neilm said:

Edge Skyped me this evening and said he was trying to talk the others into bringing Father Is An Elephant out of the vault. The only concern was Bono saying he couldn't remember the words.....:wink:

Originally posted by Axver
Larry came around for lunch today and told me the band's been rehearsing Cartoon World, though Adam's insisting on re-inventing it with a tuba rather than bass

You guys are killing me! :lmao:

I'll be in Monteray for the 1st show of the 4th leg. If Mofo is played I will friggin blow up. There will be news stories everywhere about a U2 fan exploding during the encore....:combust:

Now if I hear an acousitc guitar out of the darkness during the encore I'll pull out a sling-shot and aim at Bono's forhead :wink:

Blue Room said:

They will in some form. They have always done a version of it (snippet or full blown band) when they play New Zealand because of Greg Carroll. So it will be done most likely in some form. Could just be a snippet though as I said. Not sure why that is unlikely considering they snippeted it in Oakland already on this tour. :shrug: I say Australia is a possibility because IF they did rehearse a full band version and played it in NZ and it worked, they would use it more in Australia as well.

I agree with your reasonings for OTH in New Zealand, but I doubt they'd perform it elsewhere because of the reasons you write - its for Greg Carroll and it has relevance.

I think that they 'used' it in Oakland as a sort of open rehearsal and I think the band saw that it worked in that form so it's a definite possibility as a snippet - if you know what I mean ;)

Just my 2 cents :shrug:

U2mixer said:

I agree with your reasonings for OTH in New Zealand, but I doubt they'd perform it elsewhere because of the reasons you write - its for Greg Carroll and it has relevance.

I think that they 'used' it in Oakland as a sort of open rehearsal and I think the band saw that it worked in that form so it's a definite possibility as a snippet - if you know what I mean ;)

Just my 2 cents :shrug:

I say Australia is a "possibility" IF they do a full band version. Two reasons I say that. First, if they go through the effort to get a full band song down to the point where its acceptable to play live, and it works, they are going to use it again. Second, they rehearsed it for the Lovetown tour for the same reason, they knew they would use it in NZ. However, it worked so well they used it for alot of the Lovetown tour (I guess since it was a single in Australia and NZ was a third reason as well).

Like I said, its a "possibility". I honestly dont even think they will do a full band version. I can see something acoustic or just a snippet. Those are more likely.

Regarding One Tree Hill, keep in mind that it's twenty years since Greg Carroll died, and U2 are playing in Auckland, the city not only of One Tree Hill, but also where they met Carroll.

It will definitely be snippeted. One can only hope it's played in full. I think what U2 do with Mothers Of The Disappeared in South America will give us hints as to their intention.

well... ONE ends in a D, and One Tree hill begins with a D.. so it's posible for Bono to do it...

One Tree Hill has a D, an F and a #A

I just think you're all setting yourselves up to be disappointed. If they haven't played other "special" songs this tour and hell, haven't even played songs they've actually been working on, I just don't see this being anything more than a brief mention, if that. They don't have the time or attention span to crank out anything new on the third leg, but they're going to reinvent this? Hmmmm...

Let's chat in a month... :wink:

Spanish Eyes was rehearsed and was on the printed setlist for at least one of the Spain shows this year.

A copy of that setlist was reprinted somewhere on this messageboard.

Also keep in mind that the band have yet to play a number of songs that were known to be rehearsed dating all the way back to the Vancouver rehearsals. Desire, EBTTRT etc...

u2fp

DubbalinGirl said:
I just think you're all setting yourselves up to be disappointed. If they haven't played other "special" songs this tour and hell, haven't even played songs they've actually been working on, I just don't see this being anything more than a brief mention, if that. They don't have the time or attention span to crank out anything new on the third leg, but they're going to reinvent this? Hmmmm...

Let's chat in a month... :wink:

:scratch: :wink:

I'm not setting myself up for any disappointment. I dont think anything stated here is for sure and I have indicated that with every post I have done. I dont think the band themselves knows at this point what they are going to do exactly. Snippeting One Tree Hill is pretty simple and that is almost a guarantee. Especially considering it was already done on this tour. :shrug: Full band One Tree Hill is a pipe dream I agree. Not impossible, just unlikely. Mofo is the big question mark. They rehearsed it on a couple occasions. That is the only reason I say its even a possibility. May not happen, I wont be shocked if it doesnt.

They have played songs they were working on during Vertigo. Crumbs From Your Table, Fast Cars, Stuck In A Moment, Original Of the Species, Miss Sarajevo, Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, In A Little While, Discotheque, Walk On, etc....... All songs that were not part of the original core setlist (many were not even done at rehearsals) that were worked on during the tour that were played eventually. So its not like its impossible for them to pull something out they have been working on.

If I am not mistaken, the band have said they will always play One Tree Hill in New Zealand. Obviously, 'play' covers snippet to them! But you know it'll get mentioned. Regarding other location songs:

In God's Country: snippeted in Arizona.
New York/Angel Of Harlem: unnecessary due to City Of Blinding Lights.
Spanish Eyes: I remember the set U2FP just mentioned - it was rehearsed and on the set but cut at the last minute.

Keep in mind that other location songs are quite different to One Tree Hill. Spanish Eyes, as was mentioned earlier, isn't even about Spain! One Tree Hill, however, is a tribute to a deceased friend - it carries a lot of emotional weight. As Mothers Of The Disappeared is a location song that is similarly emotionally heavy, I think what the band do with it will be a good sign of their intentions for Auckland.

didnt they start performing stuck in a moment around about the same time of the anniversary of MH death?

KUEFC09U2 said:
didnt they start performing stuck in a moment around about the same time of the anniversary of MH death?

They rehearsed it at the start of tour and brought it into the tour setlist in October. Hutchence died in late November.

They'll probably play it in Australia too. :|

U2mixer said:

and i'm pretty sure that was the day the New Zealand shows were announced, or the day before...

Back
Top Bottom