1st night, standard setlist -- 2nd night, cut loose setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
We all know that we want surprises from U2 on this tour, so I had been thinking, most of the more rare or not played songs make a debut on the 2nd night, while the standard setlist is played the 1st night.

The first night generally includes:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
I Still Haven't Found...
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

The First Time / Walk On
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses / Stuck In A Moment
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
Yahweh

Now the 2nd night generally has unplayed songs, like;

Zoo Station
The Fly
Crumbs From Your Table
I Will Follow
Out Of Control
Bad
All I Want Is You
Party Girl
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World
Gloria
New Year's Day

Is U2 more relaxed the 2nd night, but also -- why save the older/rarer material for the 2nd night?

I think given the choice, I'd go for nightII in a city, but I don't think that nightI is necessarily so rigid that any deviation would be shocking. I just looked back over the past several cities, and some first night shows had IWF or Fast Cars, etc. While I'll totally concede that the second night usually has more of a shake up (and more of a "guarantee" of Bad, which is always a plus!) I don't think it's all that different. I mean, Zoo Station and The Fly certainly aren't regular occurances for 2nd night setlists. VegasII was the first time they were played in nearly a month!

I know for a fact on the next tour I'm going to a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th night of a show in the same city.

I think it all depends on what you like, or what you've heard at shows before. I'm sure there were plenty of diehards on the first leg that were tickled pink w/ the Boy-heavy first night setlists. Who would have thought that ACD/ITH, Electric. Co would be back? Though, Bad/Gloria is certainly nothing to sneeze at either. I do think you're right for the most part, and given the choice, I definitely would have gone for BostonII or III if it was an option, but I popped up on TM, and that's what I took. MSGI on the third leg got Crumbs. I went to II, III, and V, and I didn't get to hear it. I certainly wouldn't have expected that to pop up on a night one setlist. I guess you never know for sure.

2nd nights are different because there is a greater chance that people who attended the first night are in attendance so they try and shake up the setlist as much as they can

I wonder what will happen the last 6 dates of this leg when all the shows are one night only. Do you think they will mix it up a little, seeing that it is the end of the NA tour?

You're also more likely to get the media critics at the first night as well - so they're more likely to play well known hits than off the wall rarities, I reckon.

Seemed like the opposite in Atlanta, except for the addition of Bad

Back
Top Bottom