17 is my favourite number and this is my 17,000th post, so let me abuse it by ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
... making a post of random setlists and setlist thoughts that no-one really cares about and that I normally wouldn't make a thread for! :D

Firstly, I don't have a favourite segue. Many of you will point to ZooTV's Bad --> Bullet --> RTSS --> Streets or Elevation's All I Want Is You --> Streets or something of the sort as a favourite, while none in particular stand out to me. I love them all, really. When pressed, I'll often say the aforementioned ZooTV segue or, if permitted, the All I Want Is You --> Bad segue/medley used twice on Lovetown. 20 October 1989, Sydney, has an awesome example of that. I'm keen on most of U2's segues, really, though I think Pride --> Streets on Vertigo is dire and Pride --> ISHFWILF on Popmart inspires little in me too, mainly because the performances were so lacklustre. I personally would love to see this tour's transition changed to Miss Sarajevo --> Streets.

I don't have a favourite setlist either. None really jump out and grab me as exceptionally better than usual, which I think is a good thing as it eliminates an unreasonably high benchmark. I am on the whole very satisfied with the song selection of the Vertigo Tour, and the return of stacks of old songs excites me immensely. U2 would be crazy if they dump The Electric Co. after this tour. It is quite simply my favourite song return besides 11 O'clock Tick Tock on Elevation, and what's more, it's played better than 11OTT was on Elevation. In fact, it's played better than just about anything! It's nuts. If any song should be played every night, it's this one! Electric Co. --> 11OTT would blow my mind to the middle of next week.

My four favourite tours, at this point in time, are War, JT, Lovetown, and Vertigo, and I'd like to do some setlisting now. I've done enough of the Vertigo Tour lately to make one here quite redundant, and JT and Lovetown are so close together that I've chosen to do Lovetown. So for my 17,000th post, my current ideal War, Lovetown, and Thoroughly Imaginary Sets.

AXVER'S WAR TOUR SET
Note the similarities between my beginning and the real beginning of War Tour sets. Can you tell I thought that worked really well?

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
2. Twilight
3. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
4. Surrender
5. Two Hearts Beat As One
6. Seconds
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. Like A Song ...
9. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
10. A Day Without Me
11. Fire
12. Rejoice
13. The Electric Co.
14. October
15. Tomorrow
16. New Year's Day

17. Gloria
18. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)
19. Drowning Man
20. 40

AXVER'S LOVETOWN SET

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire (with shredding solo)
3. All Along The Watchtower
4. The Electric Co.
5. Bullet The Blue Sky
6. Exit
7. God Part II
8. In God's Country
9. Spanish Eyes
10. Dancing Barefoot
11. When Love Comes To Town
12. Van Diemen's Land
13. Bad
14. One Tree Hill
15. Bass Trap
16. A Sort Of Homecoming
17. Where The Streets Have No Name

18. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
19. The Unforgettable Fire
20. With Or Without You
21. All I Want Is You

22. She's A Mystery To Me
23. Wild Irish Rose
24. 40

Notes: Imagine AIWIY with a big, dramatic ending. At first glance, I don't feel 11OTT --> UF works, but when I imagine it more in my mind, I take the high-pitched notes Edge would add to the end of 11OTT (think UABRS video) and that sounds natural preceding the intro of UF.

AXVER'S THOROUGHLY IMAGINARY SETLIST
I wouldn't call this an ultimate setlist, just something I'd personally really enjoy right now with some favourite songs. I do actually have one gigantic ultimate set that I may never finish ...

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. One Tree Hill
3. Heartland
4. Bass Trap
5. A Sort Of Homecoming
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Hawkmoon 269
9. Spanish Eyes
10. Desire (with shredding solo)
11. All Along The Watchtower
12. Until The End Of The World
13. Wake Up Dead Man
14. Acrobat
15. Exit
16. God Part II

17. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
18. The Electric Co.
19. The Fly
20. Gone

21. Crumbs From Your Table
22. Wild Irish Rose
23. Promenade/Bad
24. 40

There are some songs that missed that set that I'd love to include, most notably New Year's Day, the only song from my top ten to miss the cut. That also includes a modified form of a setlist transition that appears in its proper form in the Lovetown set, my favourite self-created segue: One Tree Hill --> Heartland --> Bass Trap --> A Sort Of Homecoming (WAIA) --> Where The Streets Have No Name. Try it; it's absolutely beautiful. I also really like the transitions from UTEOTW through to God Part II: dark, philosophical, rocking stuff.

My final note is to observe that I Will Follow is currently only ten recorded performances ahead of Pride at the moment, which bothers me a bit. Pride will likely overtake I Will Follow by the end of the tour (though due to a lack of early sets, IWF will almost certainly still have the lead in fact), and I can't say I'm looking forward to when this happens as I feel Pride is one of those few U2 songs that's almost always worse live than in the studio. This tour's version is good - in fact, I think it's the first time since the end of the UF Tour that Pride has actually sounded worth playing. I don't want to see one of U2's weakest live songs claim the title of most often played.

Now that I've bored you to sleep, I shall wrap up a setlistastic 17,000th post that I've thoroughly enjoyed writing. :D Ah, setlists, where would I be without them? Have a nice day! :wave:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. One Tree Hill
3. Heartland
4. Bass Trap
5. A Sort Of Homecoming
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Hawkmoon 269
9. Spanish Eyes
10. Desire (with shredding solo)

:drool:

High five.