(01-21-2005) U2 World Tour To Kick Off In San Diego - Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 World Tour To Kick Off In San Diego

U2 will kick off its 2005 world tour March 28 at the San Diego Sports Arena, Billboard can exclusively reveal. Kings Of Leon will open the first leg of the trek, tickets for which will begin going on sale Jan. 29. The tour, named Vertigo after the first single from U2's new Interscope album, "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," will be officially announced Monday (Jan. 24).

"One of the great privileges of working with U2 is you get to go on the road with them," longtime manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard. "We are, I suppose, that rarest of things: a major touring attraction that is still having number one records all over the world after 25 years."

Even though its kick-off is still two months away, Vertigo will likely be the top-grossing trek of 2005. Conservative estimates put the tour's gross potential at $225-$250 million from as many as 110 shows.

The first North American leg will run for two months and wrap in Boston in late May. Afterward, the tour will hit some 30 European stadiums, beginning June 10 in Brussels. The band will stay in Europe through mid-August, then return to North America for another run of 30 arena dates.

Ticket prices will average $90, including $49.50 on the low end and $165 on the high end. On the 2001 Elevation tour in support of the album "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the range was $45-$135.

As on that trek, the arena floor will be general admission for about 1,700-1,800 seats, depending on the building. And, like Elevation, the tour will feature unique production elements.

"This tour will be not unlike the last production in that the lowest priced tickets will be on the floor," says McGuinness. "The best seats are the cheapest, and we want people to get excited." He adds that details on distribution of floor tickets will be forthcoming. "Some will be on sale, some will be radio contest winners," McGuinness says.

It is possible some shows will be available as digital downloads. "We're exploring technology where it might be possible to download the show you've just seen," says McGuinness. "We've been talking to iTunes and the folks at Apple, with whom we have a great relationship, but it's not quite there yet. We're certainly looking at it."

A tour DVD is also likely. "We always do that," McGuinness says, "but that will come towards the latter end of the tour."

As reported yesterday, U2 is among the first acts confirmed to perform at the Grammys on Feb. 13 in Los Angeles. The group is nominated for three awards, including best rock song and best short form music video for "Vertigo."

-- Ray Waddell, Nashville
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000769012

That's great news! I find it a little annoying that Billboard got the exclusive over the "official" u2.com. They are so slow on the draw that it's painful. A couple of weeks ago I was so annoyed with the slowness of the postings on their News page that I submitted feedback through their web form and accused them of having little to no connection with the band. Then I found out yesterday that it's been run by Adam Clayton's brother Sebastian since 2000. :slant:

Last edited:
Kind of surprised about San Diego. I lived in San Diego for years and years...saw the Elevation show at the Sports Arena.

It is the WORST venue they played on the last tour in the US...save perhaps the Tacoma Dome. It is VERY old and small. The only smaller venue was Notre Dame.

Security was terrible. We all lined up over night...and they opened every door at the same time so it was a mad rush to the floor.

The sound quality is terrible. However it is very intimate. If you are close it won't matter. If you aren't close, wow...watch out.

Want to see the Arena? Watch Almost Famous. All the arena shots are from the San Diego Sports Arena.

If anyone would like advice on flights (used to work for Southwest in San Diego) hotels, U2 fans in San Diego...etc.

email me at cburke737@comcast.net

PS there are still a few internet specials available at southwest.com, plan to fly out on Saturday...Sunday's are Southwest in San Diego's busiest day as well as it is Easter.

cmb737
I do agree with you on the security fiasco. We got there early in the morning and got about 50th in line. Then rumors started circulating that the door on the other side was going to open as well and that there was a line starting over there. everytime security would pass by we would ask "is this true" to which they said "no this is the only door opening." So luckily for us we made friends with the people behind us we held their place in line as they went over there to see. so If it was not they would come back and not loose their space in return we could join them. Later they one of them came back and said it they are opening that one on that side. so we joined them around 10th in line. Once the doors open it was fairly controlled that they would only let a group of 8 or so before holding the line for a few seconds. This is where we were lucky... we got into the heart no problem. The other side where we were at were not allowed into the heart on that side...why? because the security guys counter was broken. But to make matters worse they were not telling people to go the other side. they were just saying you can't get in...so most people believed the heart was full and did not try and go to the other side which after we got in became a mob of people. So it was pretty jacked up. The rest of the concert was great

I do remember hearing sports areana was one of the smallest location. which is odd for an opener considering more people fly in to be there. Maybe there will be two dates?

I have a question.
After the dates are released, when do the tickets go on sale? Or rather, when will we be able to buy them using our presale code given to us by u2.com?

In answer to your question macphistofreak, U2.com says you can purchase tickets with the presale code on Tuedsay at 10.00am.

I have another question: what do us poor southern hemisphere fans do? The announcement about presale tickets only includes US/Europe shows. I have paid my U2.com subs mainly to get access to this presale, now I feel duped. Can someone please tell me what the story is?

Notaneasything

I know your time is coming round, so don't let the ticket announcement drag you down.

Last edited:
I have another question. Sorry, I'm new to the whole presale thing.
Ok, the tickets go on sale at 10 am on Tuesday. Is it thru ticketmaster? So while I'm at school I can have my mom go to ticketmaster.com, enter in the presale code, and she'll be able to get tickets? I would ditch school but I have a leadership class that day and if I miss it I get kicked out. :mad:

sandiegoarena.jpg

Back
Top Bottom