(01-01-2005) U2 Set to Return to Australia in December -- Sun-Herald

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
Brisbane Ent Cent x 2, Laver Arena x 3, SuperDome x 5. I said ages ago it was a delay not a cancelation and it would be February.

They did look into a few ways to make the Elevation tour possible here. Remember the Aus $ was at a ridiculous low then, and tickets would have cost a mint. Some things that were thrown around included turning it into a 'mini festival', ie you pay a lot, but get a lot of bands - 4 or 5 including U2, another fairly major overseas act, and a couple of top billing Australian bands. Doing the Sydney/Melbourne Big Day Out was also briefly considered, but all agreed that that would change the whole focus of the festival, and it was shafted quickly.

Earnie, do you think theres a hope in hell that U2 will play Perth and Adelaide this tour? :sad:

beli said:

Earnie, do you think theres a hope in hell that U2 will play Perth and Adelaide this tour? :sad:

I think Perth has a shot. They played Burswood on PopMart despite it being indoors, now it would make sense if they played Burswood while there playing indoors.

The only problem is distance. I honestly don't see how bringing Vertigo to Australia would cost that much. You could fit most of the props and light curtains in a suit case. Everything else you could bring as carry on luggage.

The recent Spendour In The Grass ticket debacle is a bit of a worry isn't it? I've never known anything like that to happen before.
The times they are a changin'...
:(

bit of an appropriate typo there I notice :laugh:

SPENDour in the Grass alright, along with the snakes and the greedy sharks and assorted mongrels

that should be SPLENDour in the Grass

I hope U2 play WA. Then I'll have an excuse to go there.

whether I have the money is another thing
but an excuse is a start.

coooooeeeeeeeeeee U2

Poor Aussies

The real question is why are U2 not visiting NZ we last saw them here in the early 90s and have been waiting for their return ever since.

cass said:
The recent Spendour In The Grass ticket debacle is a bit of a worry isn't it? I've never known anything like that to happen before.
The times they are a changin'...
:(

That was indeed a debarcle. I hope that is resolved asap and never happens again. :(

Forgive the ignorance, but what happened with Splendour in the Grass?

Re: Poor Aussies

Loosie said:
The real question is why are U2 not visiting NZ we last saw them here in the early 90s and have been waiting for their return ever since.

Because it costs a fair bit to cart the gear across the Tasman for one or two shows that probably won't even sell out. Out of U2's six stadium shows in NZ, only one has ever sold out (Auckland Lovetown #1), though for the record, despite the fact Christchurch Lovetown did not sell out, it was at the time the highest attendance for any act in the city.

If U2 do go to NZ, they would play WestpacTrust Stadium in Wellington, but it appears they're playing arenas in Australia and it's not worth carting the stadium setup down here for just one show. Economics are going to work against us on this one, I think. :(

Pisses me off, as it would be a convenient excuse to visit the homeland. I haven't been back in over two years and I'm feeling really homesick.

Last edited:
beli said:

Will I need an airticket as well?

Hey, beli, if U2 doesn't do OZ I know another band that will be touring around that time...cheap ticket prices too! :D

indra said:

Hey, beli, if U2 doesn't do OZ I know another band that will be touring around that time...cheap ticket prices too! :D

lol. I meant an airticket from Perth to the Eastern states.

PS Are The Church coming to Perth? I've never actually seen them live. Now might be a good time.

beli said:

lol. I meant an airticket from Perth to the Eastern states.

PS Are The Church coming to Perth? I've never actually seen them live. Now might be a good time.

They did in 2003, but who the heck knows what they are going to do this time. But...it's their 25th year of being together (SK really dislikes the term anniversary used in reference to rock bands -- I found that out first hand. :yikes: ), so they are supposedly planning some special shows, so this actually might be a really good time to see them. :yes:

Earnie Shavers said:
Make sure you've all got your credit cards in order by late August/early September ;)

for some reason, after all the waiting and anticipation, reading that just now makes me feel slightly ill and uncomfortable.

Can you tell us what you know Tyler? Is it early January as suggested ? I have to see a man about a knife and that bloke Murphy always seems to be hanging around. :laugh: just picturing myself in theatre gown dragging along the machines that go ping to the concert....the show must go on :lmao:

I read this "snippet" in the paper today

"the NSW Dept of Fair Trading met with Ebay and will investgate ticket sellers who are using Splendour as an opportunity to profit from genuine music fans.....the Department hopes the investigation will result in the introduction of anti-scalping legislation"

cass said:

"the NSW Dept of Fair Trading met with Ebay and will investgate ticket sellers who are using Splendour as an opportunity to profit from genuine music fans.....the Department hopes the investigation will result in the introduction of anti-scalping legislation"

This is good news for U2ers!

About time too.

Brisbane? Im goin (hopefully) to Brisbane too.. Where in brisbane, do you think it will be? hmm.. only place I know of is the Entertainment Centre... and afew stadiums.. beats me, but god I hope I get in and get a ticket..

Back
Top Bottom