Experience: Beautiful Days: Meeting U2 in Dublin *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
By Dave Withers

Every year I go to Lourdes, France, with an organization called Handicapped Children's Pilgrimage Trust (HCPT), and we take about 2,000 physically and mentally disabled children with us for the week. When I went there in 2001 I met a beautiful young Irish girl there called Mary, who was there with her American boyfriend Cal. Mary, Cal and I met up in a Lourdes bar one evening and she informed me she was very sick, she had secondary bone cancer and would be dead within six months. I was absolutely rocked, so much so I had to leave the bar for a few minutes because I needed to cry for her, I had never cried that much in my life and I certainly don't think I have ever cried that much since.

After our week in Lourdes together we stayed in touch, but sadly Mary's illness worsened. On August 17, 2001 Mary passed away with Cal at her bedside. The next day I went to see U2 at Earl's Court, London. As much as I enjoyed the show it felt wrong being there, but when I needed them the most U2 played a massive part in my life. The next day I sat down and wrote a poem for Mary while listening to my favorite U2 song, "Peace on Earth." I sent the poem to Cal, he rang me up and told me it was amazing and wanted to read it out at Mary's funeral. I went to see U2 again that same day, little knowing that writing that poem would eventually lead me to meeting Bono two years later in Dublin.

February 11, 2003

I am sitting on the bench outside Hanover Quay recording studios in Dublin. It's absolutely freezing cold, all I have on is a blue hooded top and jeans, with no food or drink. I am just feet away from the greatest rock band on the planet, they are inside—will they come out? I am there with my friend Declan, who I met yesterday. He has met U2 loads of times so he came down to take a photo of me with one of the band members, if they come out. I am in luck.

We see the door to the studio open, it's The Edge. Declan and I look at each other and just smile. I know Edge is going come over, and he does. I look like I have swallowed a coat hanger, I am smiling that much. I shake The Edge by the hand and tell him how pleased I am to meet a fellow Essex Boy, at which he laughs. He tells us that U2 have just been nominated for an Oscar for "The Hands that Built America," he looks really pleased. I ask him to sign my Zoo TV, Pop and Elevation programs, which he kindly does. Then I ask him if I can have a photo with him, and he says, "Sure." After the photo Edge bids us farewell and heads back inside the studio.

I am so happy. He is a lovely bloke, Edge, so calm and cool. I go straight to get my photos developed and they turn out brilliantly. I am over the moon but I want that photo of me and Bono more than anything else on earth. In just over 24 hours my dream will finally be realized.

February 12, 2003

I arrive at Hanover Quay for the third day running with the sun is shining. Today's the day I just know it. I have just been to church and prayed to the big fella that if he could finally make my dream come true by letting me meet Bono, I wouldn't swear as much and would cut down on my smoking. I am armed with my programs again, a photograph of Mary and Cal and the poem I wrote for Mary. When I get to the shrine of the bench there is a girl there from America with her two friends. Her friends go for a walk when Dallas Schoo comes over to us and gives each of us a Bono guitar pick from the Super Bowl. It's my third day meeting Dallas, and he is an absolute gem of a man. The other two girls come back and are jealous about the guitar picks.

About 10 minutes passes by when a black Mercedes pulls up, we cannot see inside as a big cement lorry pulls out and blocks our view. About half an hour passes and the studio door opens, we all look up and our hearts sink, it's Sam, Larry's drum tech and studio manager. The door goes again and it's two women, again our hopes are dashed. About 30 seconds later the door opens for a third time, oh my God, I cannot believe it, it's Bono, it really is Bono. My pulse is racing, for an autograph I've been waiting. He stands still and waves over at us, I try to be cool and give the peace sign, then I think, Bono is drinking a cup of coffee, how can that dude make coffee look cool? He does, though, he looks so cool, he is wearing a black leather coat and red Elevation style shades and he has a beard.

He slowly walks over and I shake and almost break his hand. I let him talk to the girls first, they ask me to take a photo of them with him and I happily agreed. After signing various memorabilia for them and posing for photos, he turns to me. I tell him that I am so honored to meet him, I ask him to sign my programs, which he kindly does. I then pull out the poem I wrote for Mary, he reads it and tells me to sign it. I cannot believe I am hearing this right—U2 megastar asks for my autograph? Who am I to say no? I then pull out a photo of Mary and Cal and Bono wants to know absolutely everything about them, he asks all about Lourdes. Then he does the most amazing thing which will stay with me for the rest of my life, he turns the photo of Mary and Cal over and draws a crucifix, inside the crucifix at the top he writes "Mary" and underneath the crucifix writes, "Will Live Forever Cal Love Bono" and then draws two little flowers at the foot of the cross. I have a massive lump in my throat.

I ask him to write "Peace on Earth" on my Pop program and he does, and he also draws a self-portrait. I have my photograph taken with him three times, thank you so much to one of the girls for taking the pictures, they came out brilliantly. Bono says his goodbyes and goes inside the studio, I thank him for taking the time to come out and for giving me a great life.

I say goodbye to the girls, run down the road and burst into tears—I have never been happier. I phone my mum back in England and again started to cry. My mum is not a U2 fan, even though she is from Dublin, but she cries because she knows how much it meant to me. It was a very special moment, mother and son hundreds of miles apart joined in one by Bono. That man has touched so many lives around the world, I don't think he realizes just how powerful he can be. I keep a photocopy of the photo Bono signed and send the original to Cal, he phones me up and tells me Bono is a legend and the photo has a place of pride on his fireplace.

I never in a million years ever imagined I would meet Bono, but I did and after that I felt there was nothing I couldn't achieve. Bono often tells us to "dream out loud." I did. Amen, Brother.

I just can't get over this part..

Then he does the most amazing thing which will stay with me for the rest of my life, he turns the photo of Mary and Cal over and draws a crucifix, inside the crucifix at the top he writes "Mary" and underneath the crucifix writes, "Will Live Forever Cal Love Bono" and then draws two little flowers at the foot of the cross. I have a massive lump in my throat.

Wow, that's an incredibly beautiful story. :heart: It was fate, because your motivation to meet him was so pure.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend Mary

Wow - thanks Dave. I too go to Lourdes with HCPT and have been sat on that bench outside Hanover thinking the same things as you. He had a similar impact on me when I met him in 93. It's a strange world!

That week in Lourdes is such a full on emotional week. I sometimes find it hard to hold back the tears. Talk about 'putting things into perspective'..

Which group are you with? maybe we could hook up for a beer this year? But if you start singing '263 green bottles' I might have to leg it ;)

Cheers Dave,
Jim

Dave, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS STORY!

I originally saw it on another website and have always kept a copy of it with me. I use it as UNDENIABLE PROOF (at least to me) that Bono (remember his name does mean Good) TRULY IS AN ANGEL and was brought back to earth in a Rock 'n Roll disguise to help bring comfort and hope to millions.

What a BEAUTIFUL story to start out the St. Valentine's weekend! :heart: :heart: THANKS

What a beautiful story. :heart: I have tears in my eyes reading it. I'm so glad you were able to meet Bono, that is wonderful. :)

All I can say is WOW! :ohmy: I am just so moved by this story.. It so proves that Bono is here on the planet earth for a very special purpose! I admire the man even more if that is at all possible!
Dave that was such a inspiring story-Thank so much for sharing it with us!... I too, welled up with tears as I read this. I am so happy for ya! I am also sorry for the loss of your friend mary..

It is my dream too, to meet the man, we call Bono.. I know one day I will and give him a hug and thank him for everything..

flaming june said:
:wave: I'm one of "the girls from America". :D It's so nice to hear your story!

I thought he was talking about you (and was it devlin w/ you?) :yes:

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story :heart:

Whatever will we do for their next album, when there is no bench just outside the door at the new studio? I don't think I'll ever get to have an even remotely similar experience - hope you all who have this chance count yourself extremely blessed :sigh:

Beautiful Day

Hi everyone, I just want to say a BIG, BIG thank you to everyone who replied to my story, the replies were very moving indeed. I only knew Mary for a week but I know she would probaly be really embarrased by all the fuss that's being made about her, but that's what she was like, she always put other people first even when in extreme pain, she was an extraordinary human being and everybody who met her that week in Lourdes likes her.

Every year in Lourdes I bring her photo and put it on a candle and leave it burning through the night, I always say a prayer for her, I sometimes say a few words which can be very emotional, last year I put Bono's message to Cal on the candle too, it just seemed the right thing to do.

I hope to put the poems up on the website soon.

Jim, Yes I am going to Lourdes at Easter, it will be good to meet up with you, what hotel are you in and what group you with?

Dave Withers

Beautiful Day

Mary

You had the nicest smile I've ever seen,
Hair of Black, Eyes of Green,
A girl so young and full of grace,
You've gone to Heaven to take your place.

But this world's loss is Heaven's gain,
You're now without your awful pain,
When we met I was so glad,
But now you're gone I am so sad.

I'll think about you every day,
And even find the time to pray,
That you're now in The Lord's care,
A girl so loved no more pain to bear.

An Angel came to take you home,
In Heaven now you're not alone.

God Bless you Mary, may you Rest In Peace.

By Dave Withers

Wonderful story Dave! Thanks!

Jamila said:
Dave, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS STORY!

I originally saw it on another website and have always kept a copy of it with me. I use it as UNDENIABLE PROOF (at least to me) that Bono (remember his name does mean Good) TRULY IS AN ANGEL and was brought back to earth in a Rock 'n Roll disguise to help bring comfort and hope to millions.

What a BEAUTIFUL story to start out the St. Valentine's weekend! :heart: :heart: THANKS

That's good that I'm not the only person that saves other people's stories around here. One day after a concert in November in 2001 I discoved that U2 loved their fans for the first time, and I had to spread the word. I thought all of these years (since the 80's) they were the typical celebrities. Then I thought, what if people didn't believe me? So I started saving stories with pictures to prove it. I now have 57 pages saved with meetings of the guys, and I know there's lots more out there. Every story is basically the same, but each one is a little different in their own special way. I love reading them. They make me laugh, and they make me cry. I too believe Bono is a special gift. He may not see it, but we all know he is.

Oh...and I call my file "Proof That U2 Loves Their Fans."

I registered with this site, although I have been reading the news for a while now, just so I could respond to your story. That is really beautiful. You did a wonderful thing for your friend and so did Bono.

Hi Dave - I'm with group 105 not sure what hotel we'll be in this year but if you see a fella with 105 and Jimbob on the back of his blue top that's me!

Beautiful days

Hello Jim,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I didn't wanna have to go round every single hotel in Lourdes asking for "Jim who likes U2", how sad would that have made me. I will bring my photo's over to show you, although they are already behind the bar in the jean D'Arc, You are more than welcome to come down to the grotto with me one night and help me light the candle for Mary.

You are also more than welcome to buy me a few formidables!!!!!

Look forward to meeting you and letting you buy me copious amounts of Stella!!!!!

Cheers Jimbob

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Your story made the hair on my arms stand up...

It's a beautiful thing when people can connect, even when its for a moment. Wether or not its over a computer, through music, or just sharing a moment of someones day.

Take care,

What a touching story :sad: Don't feel bad about being there soon after Mary passed. Did you know Bono did an Earl's Court show the night his father died too? U2 and their fans, and the power in the house, a very special connection.

Back
Top Bottom