Experience: An Evening at Christie's *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/experience/gavinspeechthumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Martha Radosevich

Through a well-connected and very, very generous friend, I was able to attend a private, invitation-only reception at Christie's on Tuesday evening, the 14th of October. The reception was a viewing of Bono's illustrations for Peter and the Wolf, of course. As I drove up to Beverly Hills through LA rush-hour traffic, I was growing happier and more excited with each crawling mile. Would Bono be there? Would anyone else famous be there? This is LA, after all. Almost anything could happen. Parking was surprisingly easy, as I arrived at nearly six, when most of the shops were closing, and the street parking magically becomes free. I didn't mind walking a few blocks to the gallery.

As I approached the building, I could see valets eagerly waiting for expensive cars to park. I walked through the door, hoping to remain unobtrusive, because I couldn't help feeling like a freshman crashing a seniors-only party! The kind woman behind the counter only wanted my name. I gave it to her, and she checked me off the list. I was in! As I walked into the gallery, I was thrilled! Here were Bono's drawings, right in front of me! They were huge, many of them, and much more charming that I had imagined. I'm a harsh art critic, a bit too harsh at times, but I was won over by the innocent flirtation of the work!
They were unassuming and wonderful. They were made of bold strokes and small details, and full of love, especially the ones of his dad. I had thought that they might be too precious and full of themselves, but they weren't. They were just right.

I looked around, again hoping to keep out of the way. The wine was free, but, since I was recovering from a nasty cold, the sparkling water was looking very attractive! I gave in and had a few glasses. I had noticed that there were some very wealthy-looking folks in the room, but one man in particular was looking like a star. He was dark, carefully unkempt, and very well dressed. Even though I didn't know what he looked like, I knew it was Gavin. Nobody else could have that self-assured star quality. I began to get more excited. Would Bono show up? I kept my eyes glued to the door.

After a while, a lovely Irishwoman was introduced. It turns out she's the President of the Irish Hospice Foundation. She gave a lovely speech telling the story of how Gavin got involved with the project. Then she told of how Bono came over to her house with the girls one Saturday, and did all the drawings that day! He had some studies prepared (which were hung at Christie's also), but he did most of the actual illustrating that single Saturday. She said this was filmed, and it's on the CD. Then she introduced Gavin. He came to the mic and charmed the daylights out of everyone in the room! He told a story about a loved man; a man so loved that everyone thinks he's God. That man is called Bono. Then he told of a man so dark and dangerous that everyone thinks he's the devil; that man is called Gavin. He talked about his involvement with the project, and how the money will be distributed from the sales of the booklet and CD. The money from the sales of the CD and booklet set will go to hospice care in the country where the CD was purchased.

After he spoke, I decided to go buy myself a copy of the CD. It won't be released to the public here in the States until late November, but copies were being sold that night. I purchased my copy and decided I wanted Gavin to sign it. He did. I never understood what the PLEBA girls saw in him, until Tuesday night. He signed the CDs for a few people before me, and he was chatting with them. I approached him shyly. (Yes, I can be shy at times.) He signed my CD, and then turned to face me. When he asked my name, shook my hand and introduced himself, I was hooked. But when he winked at me, I melted, right onto the floor.

I also knew at that point that Bono wasn't going to come to the reception. But that was okay, I had had a ball. I had seen the art up close, hobnobbed with the rich, seen Stewart Copeland (!), been charmed by Gavin, and I would still be home by nine!

No, I haven't listened to the CD or watched the film of Bono illustrating yet. But I will, and when I do, I'll think about how much fun I had one Tuesday night in Beverly Hills.

For more information on the ?Peter & The Wolf? project, visit www.peterwolf.org.

You can view thumbnail photos of the event atWireImage.com

Last edited:
Lucky girl!!!

But I sure do understand the feeling of being "Far away, so close." I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this summer, and I got Steve Averill's and Shaughn McGrath's sig's in my "Stealing Hearts At A Traveling Show" book. I was in shock and awe too.

I can't wait to get my P&TW book from Amazon!

:shocked: Martha!!!!!

Congrats! :applaud: That is just awesome! I have my book w/cd on pre-order and I can't wait!!

Bono :angel:

Gavin :macdevil:

:laugh:

Incredible!! I'm going to visit Christie's in New York on the 21st of November....The auction is 'invitation only'..of course..but I am looking forward to seeing the paintings! I did receive my copy of the book and I purchased the Christie's catalog as well. There is an absentee bid form in the back of the catalog....I wonder what those bids will even start at! Such a wonderful night you had Martha!!!

Back
Top Bottom