Larry : It's All About the Drums *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/introspect/larrybdaythumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Shannon "ILuvLarryMullen"

larrybday.jpg

At least for today it's all about the drums because our favorite scowling drummer, Larry Mullen Jr., is turning 42. In honor of this day I've written this short tribute to celebrate some of the reasons why I "luv" Larry Mullen. My username might give you the impression that I'm going to write some PLEBA-esque thing with lots of drooling smilies, but that couldn't be further from the truth. While there is nothing wrong with drooling over Larry (it can be quite fun actually!), there is so much more to Larry than just a pretty face, and these are the qualities of his that I think are most important and that I admire most. His personality and commitment to band and family are the main things that have made me into the huge fan that I am.

One of the first things about Larry that stood out to me was the way in which he carries himself. The man exudes self confidence like you wouldn't believe, he is cool and he knows it. It's true that you rarely catch him smiling, but he actually has a great sense of humor from what I've seen. He's a private person who dislikes photo shoots and interviews, but if you know where to look you can catch glipses of a much warmer and goofier person.

Larry is an irreplacable part of U2. If it were not for him, I wouldn't be talking to you all right now because this website wouldn't exist, because without him there would be no U2. It was he who posted the note on the school bulliten board all those years ago looking to form a band. Not all the credit due to U2 can go to Larry of course, but he still remains an integral part of the band. Larry's subtle and unique drumming style does a lot to shape U2's incomprable sound. You will never hear a drum solo in a U2 song, and that's just the way I like it. Anyone can play loud and fast, but only a true musician knows how to play to fit the music.

Larry has been with his partner Ann, who he began dating in high school, for over 20 years. While a relationship of this length is an accomplishment under any circumstances, in the rock world it is almost unheard of. Even though Larry meets models and other beautiful and glamorous women all the time, at the end of the day he still comes home to his high school sweetheart. That kind of loyalty is hard to come by. He is also the father of three children, who he is very protective of, and as a result little is known about them.

I could probably think of a hundred other little reasons why I think Larry is great, but these are the largest and most important ones (and besides, the others would bore you). So now all there is really left to say is: Happy Birthday Larry

[ALIGN=CENTER]
bdaycake.jpg
[/ALIGN]

Lovely tribute to him!

"Larry is an irreplacable part of U2. If it were not for him, I wouldn't be talking to you all right now because this website wouldn't exist, because without him there would be no U2. It was he who posted the note on the school bulliten board all those years ago looking to form a band. Not all the credit due to U2 can go to Larry of course, but he still remains an integral part of the band."

Exactly.

And just for putting that notice on the board and getting the idea going, I say, "Thank you, Larry".

Larry's definitely a great person and a fantastic musician...this tribute explains why so well.

Happy birthday to Larry. :).

Angela

Well said I am always saying to my friends if it weren't for Lary we would not ecen be having this argument about U2 and they just look at me funny.

Good job ILLM, I didnt even know you knew how to write! You've impressed me.

Larry is a hero of mine and on the off chance he reads this HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I'll have a pint or two for you tonight!

Feliz cumplea?os Larry Mullen Jr!!!! y ojala pueda verte de nuevo... gracias por hacer posible a U2 y darle el mejor trabajo del mundo a Bono, the Edge y Adam... Eres el mejor.

Lore...

Back
Top Bottom