Larry: How to Dismantle a Drum Kit*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/images/gallery03.jpg[/SIMG]
By Roland Schulte

The hardest working, coolest playing man in show business celebrates a birthday today, October 31, so it’s time to review some of his highlights. And thanks to his Dick Clark-like ripening, we’ll be able to do this for many years to come.

So here they are, in ascending order, the top-five pounding, bopping, thud-whacking, driving, thundering, stomping beats from Larry…Mullen…Jr…..

5. “Sunday Bloody Sunday” – Larry has “kept U2 in their first job”
largely because of the success of this song. Simple and straightforward, the early drum work on this one can be mimicked by any Larry wannabe at the local music store. The drum manufacturers really owe Larry for this one.

4. “Please” – All U2 concert-goers know that the B-stage is usually occupied by Bono and The Edge. This song, however, could probably survive without them. With “Please”, Larry and Adam perforate a plea all their own.

3. “Trip Through Your Wires” – Also know as “Whipped by Larry’s Ire.” If you still have it cranked up after “In God’s Country,” your ears are going to hurt when Larry goes at it. Hard work going on behind the drum kit here.

gallery01.jpg

2. “Bullet the Blue Sky” – One of Larry’s, and U2’s, most recognizable songs, all thanks to a pounding intro. The Edge has a jagged platform from which to pounce as this song kicks off. Again, watch the volume level after “With or Without You.”

1. “Miami” – Listening to this one, you picture Larry rolling down the streets of Miami on a beloved Harley, wearing Ray Bans, and probably smoking a cigarette. We don’t really know if Larry smokes, but he does on this song. Larry’s work paints the picture of Miami, right or wrong, good or bad.

All photos c/o U2.com.

Happy Birthday Larry!

Good work Roland! Kudos for pointing out the excellence of Miami. It’s Pop’s “hangover” song just like Throwin’ Your Arms, Some Days, and In A Little While were. It effectively evokes someone staggering around town the next day after a drinking binge. Stumbling around and observing the absurdities of “pop culture.” You can hear the hic-ups! Maybe it should be heard after Mofo (which is the end of the “party” section of Pop)?

Larry Mullen Jr. has been one of the MOST EXCELLENT drummers almost since he first picked up some sticks and beat some skins.:wink:

Even as a teenager, he showed an amazing ability not only to keep accurate time and rhythm on the drums but to make every second that he plays them one of JOY FOR HIM AND THE AUDIENCE.:up:

Larry, along with Adam, have provided the framework, the backbeat to showcase the magnificent guitar playing of the Edge and the inspired lyrics of Bono.

So, on this most WONDERFUL DAY, I wish Larry Mullen Jr, the happiest birthday possible with lots of special moments with his friends and family.I sincerely wish him a lifetime of JOY.

And I would like to thank him for helping to give me the music which has become the soundscape of my life. :hug:

Thnak you, Larry, for all that you have given us. :larry: :bow:

Back
Top Bottom