Holiday Gift Ideas For the U2 Fan in Your Life*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/112651_u2_vertigo_dvd-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Maggie Gerrity

The third leg of U2's blockbuster Vertigo Tour may be ending soon but that doesn't mean fans have had enough of the band this year. Interference.com is here to help you find the perfect gift for the U2 fan in your life this holiday season, or the ones to beg family and friends to get you.

Gifts for Under $25
Some of the most affordable gifts you can give a U2 fan for the holidays are also the ones that help a good cause. For just $5, you can purchase a paperback book featuring all of the celebrities who appeared in the video for the One Campaign, including Bono. For $10, you can buy a One Campaign T-shirt or a pack of 10 wristbands. Proceeds from your purchases will assist the One Campaign's fight against poverty and AIDS worldwide. All of these are available here.

Consider making a donation, however small or large, to U2-supported organizations like Amnesty International, The Chernobyl Children's Project and Greenpeace in the name of the U2 fanatic on your shopping list. You can also help build wells in Africa by supporting The African Well Fund, an organization founded by U2 fans.

Did your favorite U2 fan miss Bono's November appearance in Rolling Stone? You can order a copy of the issue featuring his scruffy mug on the cover and Jann Wenner's extensive interview inside for $12, including shipping and handling, in the shop section of Rolling Stone's website. You can also pick up Edge's interview in the current issue of Word for ₤8.50 (about $14.55), shipping and handling included, here.

One of the hottest gifts for U2 fans this year is the newly released Vertigo Tour DVD. Filmed during the band's May 9th and 10th shows in Chicago, the DVD features perennial classics like "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Where the Streets Have no Name" and "Bullet the Blue Sky," along with new favorites like "City of Blinding Lights," "Vertigo" and "Original of the Species." The single-disc version retails for $19.98, while the deluxe edition, featuring a bonus disc of behind-the-scenes tour footage and a documentary, sells for $32.98. The biggest challenge, of course, is trying to make sure your friend or loved one doesn't buy it before you.

112651_u2_vertigo_dvd.jpg

Gifts for Under $50
With many fan club memberships expiring soon, U2.com recently announced an incentive to woo them back for another year. Anyone who joins U2.com will receive U2 Communication, a fan club-only CD and CD-ROM set featuring eight songs performed live in Chicago and Milan, as well as "a host of visual and interactive content." At a cost of $40 for new members or $32 for returning ones, membership will also include access to exclusive articles and other members-only sections of the site, a 25 percent discount off one purchase at the site's store and, if you're lucky, a keychain. Visit U2.com for more details.

This year, U2 again joined artists worldwide for a concert to fight poverty. Both their historic 1985 performance at Live Aid and their set this year at Live 8 are available on DVD. The four-disc Live Aid DVD set, including the performance that helped to skyrocket U2's career, retails for $39.99, while this year's show—also featuring a diverse range of performers, including everyone from Alicia Keys to a reunited Pink Floyd—sells for $53.98.

11265liveaid.jpg

Gifts for Larger Budgets
Hasn't every fan wondered what the world must look like through Bono's rose-tinted Bulgari sunglasses? If you're willing to shell out around $200, you can help someone find out. U2mart offers Bono's favorite sunglasses in a variety of colors and styles from Prada, Dolce and Gabbana and Bulgari. With prices ranging from $174.99 to $275, they surely aren't cheap but these shades will help your favorite fan to stare at the sun in style. Warning: wearing Bono's sunglasses may cause sensitivity to light, an increase in ego, and the propensity to tell long stories.

11265u2mart.jpg

Many fans (myself included) are still coveting Anton Corbijn's lovely U2 & I: The Photographs 1982-2004. Corbijn's pictures of the band span nearly every era of their career; the book features images we love alongside more obscure shots and also features captions in Corbijn's own rough scrawling. While the book's list price is $120, many online retailers are offering it at a discounted price. It's heavy so be careful wrapping it.

11632antonbook_cover.jpg

You can also buy something from Edun, the socially conscious clothing line started by Bono, wife Ali Hewson and designer Ronan Gregory. Prices range from $65 for T-shirts to $488 for jackets. Saks Fifth Avenue and Barney's New York are among the stores that carry the line.

Other Ideas
Remember that sometimes the best gifts aren't obvious ones. Consider getting reprints or enlargements of fantastic tour photos, like from U2 Photos. A concert recording collector could always use blank CDs, while a PLEBAn might appreciate a Photobucket or Snapfish account. Personalize a mix CD. Maybe an iTunes Music Card would do the trick. Or, maybe even better, forgive the fan in your life when they start off stories for the hundredth time this year with "When I was in the GA line in Boston …" (or New York, or Las Vegas, or Philadelphia, or L.A.). The tour has been one of the highlights of the year for many of us, and we talk about it because we want to share it with the ones we love.

Still stuck for a gift idea? With many of us going to multiple shows this year, plenty of fans would appreciate a credit card payment or two. Or, even better, the promise of a pair of tickets the next time U2 comes to town.

Last edited:
I'm thinking in buying the Corbijn book :hmm: ...... wait .....:eek:..... I guess I'll go with the wristband :wink:

I asked for the Chicago DVD. I didn't officially ask for anything else, so I hope I'll get it. If not, I'll just shell out the cash myself.

Great Recommendations!

Currently, I am the proud owner of the heavy and beautiful Anton Corbijn's "U2 & I" book! I would love to receive a Bulgari sunglass though, haha! Merry X'Mas to all and peace in the new year ahead.

:heart: Somebody loves me!!! I just found out today that one of mine & Mr. Blu's best buddies got me "U2 & I" for Christmas! :hyper: :shocked: He had to tell me today because he just ordered it -- not realizing our local bookstores didn't keep it in stock -- and it won't be in for about 3 weeks. :shrug: It's fine... I can wait. :yes:

(And I made him SWEAR to me that he didn't pay full price on it!! I'd have had to kick his ass if he'd done that!! :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom