Fans Debate: Who To Induct U2?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

It's a daunting task, but someone's gotta do it.

On March 14th a charismatic and well-versed speaker must induct U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A speaker that can woo the crowd, work the room, set fire to the sky and hit a mean falsetto—all in the span of just one speech on one very special night in New York City that U2 fans have been dreaming about for years.

Not that there was ever any question about U2's official place in the annals of rock. This is a band that has scaled the highest of heights, sold 150 million records worldwide and still retains a high degree of respect from their colleagues and extremely loyal yet critical fan base. As proof, the band's latest effort, the highly praised "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" has already notched triple platinum at press time. Not bad for a group of Irishmen in their mid-40s.

It's true, 2005 is U2's year to shine, shimmy and rock the world to its knees with what promises to be another fantastic tour that will no doubt sell out most venues it plays.

But now the question is—who to induct our favorite boys from Dublin?

Based on their deep influence on the band, the late and undeniably great Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone would surely have been asked to do the honors. In their absence however, who would satisfy as a worthy replacement? U2 fans believe they have found candidates in Coldplay's Chris Martin, Oasis' Noel Gallagher, Pete Townshend and Bob Geldof. Other frequently cited names were Michael Stipe (a longtime friend and contemporary of U2) and Bruce Springsteen (who was inducted into the Rock Hall by Bono in 1999).

Martin has never made a secret of the profound affect U2 has had on his life and its towering influence colors Coldplay's albums in every facet imaginable, from ringing guitars to delicate piano, accomplished songwriting and beautiful vocals.

"I think it would be nice to see someone that has been influenced by U2's music," said Interference.com member clementine_rose. "That being said, I think someone like Chris Martin would be a great choice. He has said a number of times that he is a fan of U2, and that Coldplay's music has been greatly influenced by them. I also think it would be neat to see a group that is young and starting out, maybe someone like Franz Ferdinand."

Next to Martin, another outspoken rock star/U2 admirer that found his way on the shortlist is Oasis' Noel Gallagher. While it has always been The Beatles' influence and pomp that has clouded the reputation of Oasis among music fans since the 1995 release of "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" the members of Oasis are also big fans of U2, even serving as the opening act for several California dates on the 1997 PopMart tour.

"The person who inducts an artist/band is almost always a younger band who was influenced by the inducted artist, and Oasis was," offered member U2Kitten. "Also, one of the songs on 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,' 'One Step Closer,' was dedicated to Noel. Bono used to joke that they were like their naughty little brothers and they babysat them as kids. The Gallaghers are hilarious and would make for a funny, cool, and interesting induction."

The Who's Pete Townshend is another name that came up often among U2 fans on the Interference.com message boards, citing Bono's recent proclamations that The Who "is everything U2 wanted to be" when the Dublin lads were first starting out. Perhaps appropriately, it was Bono who inducted The Who into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

"My vote goes to Pete Townshend," suggested member Greg Soria. "Who better to give the introduction—he comes from a band with similar styles and same musical format (three piece with a howling lead vocalist). It is documented that Bono has consulted Pete regarding life as a rock star. So Pete has history with the band and the band admires him. I just think he's the best choice."

A frequently suggested name was none other than fellow Irishman, Bono crony, former Dublin punk rocker and relentless do-gooder, Bob Geldof. It was, after all, Geldof who organized the historic 1985 Live Aid concerts that saw U2 ascend to stratospheric heights with one simple gesture—Bono dancing with a woman from the crowd during a remarkably passionate performance of "Bad."

"It was at Live Aid where U2 began to make their mark on the world, [and] was an event that really encompassed the two things that are the embodiment of U2 at their core—great music and a fervent compassion for human rights and peace," said Interference.com member Octobermagic. "Geldof would be in a unique position to comment on a U2 comparison with the other legends playing that day (Queen, The Who, McCartney) and speak of their place among the greats"

What an intimidating and appropriate list for a band that has touched so many lives and still continues to reign supreme in all stages of its career. While all the men above would surely do a terrific job delivering U2's induction speech, there is one final option. Bono has always said that U2 comes alive when playing in front of its audience, leading some fans to suggest that perhaps U2 should start a new trend by allowing a regular fan do the honors. Now that would be the stuff of legends.

"I'm a huge fan from the beginning," said member Joaoricardo. "I grew with them and I think no one better than a fan could express the influence of U2 in what matters most—the people."

In that case, I'm available, and better yet, I love public speaking.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
For the love God, you didnt even MENTION, Michael Stipe.

He must have been mentioned on every other post in that thread.

Yes, you are correct and I do apologize. My original draft also had Eddie Vedder in addition to Stipe - but was edited out because I did not have attributable quotes. I'm not perfect, and I do apologize. :(

U2DMfan, I've now updated the article to add mention of Stipe and Springsteen to better represent fan opinions.

Phister, I take it you know that Henry Rollins is anything but a fan. I downloaded his "I Hate U2" speech he made in Dublin on Shareaza. It's funny, and it's also funny how the guy doesn't get it. I would probably say Chris Martin - not because I'm big on Coldplay, but because he's a rising star and a huge fan.

how about Billy Corgan? he may be a has been, but he's a friend of u2 isnt he?

or Thom Yorke of Radiohead, he once said in an interview, his bad will only be an opening act for REM or U2.

anyway, my vote goes for Springsteen and Stipe.

I think that The Presentation Should be Made By Mick Jagger
and Milla Jovovich . Mick is the Most Influential Rocker next To
Bono and Milla Well Shes Just Hot Hot Hot Shes So Hot Hot Hot
Yeah She Is Hot Hot Hot (She Was Hot- Rolling Stones)

I Met Milla and Mick Around the Four Seasons In Toronto and They
Have this Cool Presence About them. Also I Heard That Mick
Tried asking Milla Out, So To See Them on Stage Together Would
Be Fun .

I tend to like it when an "is" or "will be" inducts a band. We would feel a little weird if, say, Frank Sinatra inducted Elvis Presley into the Rock Hall, wouldn't we?

I think you need another showman like Bono to induct them. Of course the band is being inducted and not just Bono, but Pete is too verbally simple and Daltrey is a somewhat lost soul. I'm going with Stipe, Noel, or the Boss. This hasn't been mentioned, but she has been there from the start...what about Ali?

...or me...I remember seeing these punky irish lads at Toads Place in New Haven Connecticut in 1980 and have never looked back. I'm a 3 timer on every tour they have done, I own over 200 vinyl bootlegs, every single piece of commercial material. I purchased 20 copies of HTDAAB for holiday gifts...I love this band!!
But I am not a performer, so we need a performer to induct not just the greatest rock band of all time, but the greatest performers of all time!

i guess chris martin would be the best choice... i havent heard too many artists who have claimed they are u2 fanatics

well tom morello formerly of rage (late great) currently of audioslave (blech)
and emm..
the wynona ryder (no musician i know... but truly a fan for many years)
who else...
moby has said something to the effect that they are his modern-day heroes....

but ya they definitely have to love u2 as much as some of the ppl on this here board

Who should induct U2?

I think it should be someone outside the music world.

Nelson Mandella or Coretta Scott King. I offer all due respect to the likes of Bruce Springstein, Bob Geldof, et al. However, U2 made that magical leap outside the music world to touch even MORE people. That accomplishment is worthy of anything, if not more, than what was reached through the open mic.

Just my two cents worth. Oh wait, I want my two cents back to buy tickets this week :>

Murph' - St. Louis

I have read the post's and I would have to say that the Fan's should represent U2. It has been us who have been so loyal to them and helped make them. I think it would be cool if they had a contest on certain radio station's through out the U.S and maybe Europe. To have a trivia contest, where you have to answer some questions about the band and their history. The fans that get picked get to induct U2. I think that would be a great idea. It has always been about the dedication about the fan's. :wink: :wink:

My friend and I sent the band a letter applying for the job but so far we've had no response. So my vote goes to Chris Martin or Bob Geldof. I have no interest in hearing Pete Townsend say anything, even if it's in praise of my favorite band. That would totally ruin the whole moment for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom