Bono : More Than Just A Rock Star On His Birthday *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono: More Than Just A Rock Star On His Birthday *

By Bonochick
May 10, 2003

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/news/cdg_b_179thumb.jpg[/SIMG]

The best conversations I have ever had with friends have usually been late night talks consisting of random questions. One question I recall in particular was this: ?What is the most powerful word?? Without a moment?s hesitation, I had my answer.

Bono.

That simple four-letter word harbors so many emotions. Just the very mention of it makes my heart flutter. It evokes a whole range of feelings that all splash together to paint the picture of an amazing soul. By Bono opening his heart and mind and sharing them with the world, he has done more for the world than any of us may ever realize.

cdg_b_179.jpg

(Photo courtesy U2.com)

I first stumbled across Bono when I was thirteen years old. My parents gave me a copy of U2?s The Joshua Tree. As I listened to it, I was following along with the lyrics in the CD booklet. After ?Red Hill Mining Town,? I flipped the page and found myself gazing at the centerfold, a black and white shot of four stoic men in the desert. My eyes were immediately drawn to ?the sexy man in the white tank top.? I wondered what role he played in the band.

When the album was finished, I was stunned. I had never felt so passionately drawn in by music before. It was an absolutely incredible feeling. The music blew me away, but what truly amazed me were the lyrics. They were the most beautiful words I?d ever read. Reading the liner notes, I saw that the person who pieced together those incredible lyrics was somebody called ?Bono.? After a little research, I discovered that ?the sexy man in the white tank top? was that Bono fellow. Thus began my love affair with U2, with a special focus on Bono.

I scraped together my allowances and baby-sitting money to buy more U2 albums. I went to the library to dig up old magazines with U2 articles in them. I did searches on the Internet. I wanted to know everything I possibly could about U2, particularly Bono. After eight years, I have learned a lot. I think the most important thing I?ve learned is that Bono is far more than just some rock star. He is one of the most admirable figures of all-time. I believe that he will be in history books someday.

Bono would certainly be deserving of such. One of the most recent examples of that is him coming out on top in TIME magazine?s European Hero poll, beating out competition that included French president Jacques Chirac and British Prime Minister Tony Blair. How could some rock star beat such prominent figures? He couldn?t. This is Bono we?re talking about though.

Bono?a husband, a father?a man, a child?a teacher, a student.

Bono is a husband. He is married to Ali, an equally amazing person. After over twenty years, they are still going strong. Recent photos have showed the two of them cuddling and looking as giddy as a pair of newlyweds. Bono has women all over the world fawning over him, and he still goes home to the arms of his beautiful wife. The devotion displayed in just that respect is to be admired. He is also the father of four lovely children: Jordan, Eve, Eli, and John. If they grow up to become adults who are even just half as caring as Bono is, the world has much to look forward too.

Bono is a man. He stands strongly for his beliefs and works hard to do what he knows is right. He has never been one to sit back and let somebody else take action against the troubles in this world. Bono IS that somebody else. He is man enough to take on the tasks that others shy away from. He is also a child. When children encounter problems, they are usually nothing that a little love can?t fix, be it a hug or a kiss. Bono takes that childlike innocence and magnifies it the way a true man should so that it truly can have an impact on the world.

Bono is a teacher. In school, there were times we got bored and tuned out our teachers because we didn?t want to hear what they had to say. When Bono speaks, some may try to ignore him. Maybe it?s because they don?t want to hear what he says because they know it is true, and it hurts to hear it. For whatever reason, Bono is unlike any teacher we?ve encountered in the past because there is nothing that we can do to shut him out. He has a unique, charming talent of being able to make anybody listen. He makes us do more than just listen though?he makes us want to change the world with him. On the other hand, Bono is also a student, learning more about the world and himself everyday. He doesn?t just breeze over to places to perform his do-gooder deeds and then have himself whisked back to his mansion. He immerses himself in his activities and interacts with the people he is trying so hard to help. Bono isn?t working to help causes; he is working to help the people affected by the causes.

Knowing all of that, it would clearly be unfair to classify Bono as just some rock star. However, it would be equally unfair to completely ignore his rock star status. Let?s face it - U2?s music is how most, if not all of us first heard of Bono. Most likely, the first time anybody heard Bono?s voice was when it was delivering some of his powerful lyrics. We are also more likely to talk about seeing Bono?s charismatic self at a concert than at a political press conference. With that in mind, we should also appreciate the rocking side of Bono.

As a child, Bono lived with his parents Bob and Iris, and his brother Norman. When Bono was fourteen, Iris passed away, leaving a significant void in Bono?s life. He sought to fill that void, choosing music as his method. A couple years later, he spied a notice on the bulletin board at his high school that had been posted by a drummer who wanted to form a band. Bono showed up, claiming that he could sing and play guitar, which was stretching the truth a bit. Luckily, his charisma and charm made up for anything he was lacking. The band that was formed would eventually become U2.

One of the most significant moments in U2?s earlier years was their performance at Live Aid on July 13, 1985, an event set up by Bob Geldof to raise money for famine victims in Ethiopia. During their performance of ?Bad,? Bono spontaneously jumped down from the stage to embrace a girl from the audience. It was a simple gesture, but the power that exuded from it is something that is still recalled by many, bringing smiles to their faces. It was a moment of sheer beauty, so it comes as no surprise that Bono was behind it.

Throughout the years, Bono has continued to connect with U2?s fans. There?s a certain sort of magic created onstage during a U2 show. Somehow, Bono manages to scatter that magic throughout the venue, making the people sitting up in the nosebleeds feel as close to Bono as the girl who danced with him at Live Aid. There really is no way to explain the feeling. It is something that one must experience to fully understand. What is even better is that the feeling stays with oneself even after leaving the venue. It?s been close to six years since my first U2 concert, and I still have some of that Bono magic in my soul.

I try to imagine my life without Bono, and I just can?t. When I stop to think about it, I am amazed at how many things in my life exist because I have gotten to know Bono through his music with U2 and through everything else he has done. There are friends that I would have never made, had it not been for U2?s music. There are songs and poems that I would have never written, had I not been inspired by Bono?s words. There are letters to politicians that I would have never written, had it not been for Bono informing me of issues in the world. I could write pages and pages, but I will leave it at those examples.

It is so impressive how many lives that Bono has touched in his forty-three years on this planet. What?s even more impressive is that he shows no signs of stopping.

Happy Birthday, Bono?from those of us who know that you are so much more than just some rock star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done BC! You made me cry.

If we can all live with just half as much soul and passion as Bono has then we can make the world a better place.

Happy Birthday Bono!

That was just beautiful Bonochick. I feel the same in so many ways. It was like you put my feelings for Bono into words. Thank you!
And Happy Birthday Bono!

Wow. That was great BC.

Your last paragraph "I try to imagine my life without Bono...." brought tears to my eyes. You said everything there that I feel all the time about Bono. His voice, and not just his singing voice, has gotten me through a lot.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING

Thank you so much for posting that

When I stop to think about it, I am amazed at how many things in my life exist because I have gotten to know Bono through his music with U2 and through everything else he has done.

Thats just so true. I'm feeling the same way!

Happy Birthday Bono!

What a beautifully written heart felt tribute to such an inspirational man.

It is a beautiful day.

Thank you , BC!

Beautifully written Kat. It?s so good to have him in my life...so good to have him in the lives of so many people that have been touched by this extraordinary man.

Bonochick:

That is one of the most beautiful descriptions of Bono I've ever read. Only a fan could write it, not someone who was assigned to write it.
And I agree with you completely about what my life would've been like without Bono. It wouldn't be the same at all, and may even be empty.
Bono is going to become a legend, I know it. One of those figures who stand out in time. How could Bono, with all his amazing qualitities and accomplishments, be forgotten?

Perle

Last edited:
:heart: Beautiful story, BC!!

Bono's indeed so much more....
One of those truly special people....
I just thought about it today...I love many sorts of music...But U2 is something quite different for me and you all, I think. They always give me solace...especially Bono. Everything's just so positive about him. That's how I feel, anyway. Their music helped me trough some troubled times and always gives hope. I think that's why U2 and Bono's so important for so many people all over the world....OK.....but now I'd just like to say this:

Bono, a very happy birthday! Hope you'll have a great day with your family and friends!

Last edited:
filledeperle said:
Bono is going to become a legend, I know it. One of those figures who stand out in time. How could Bono, with all his amazing qualitities and accomplishments, be forgotten?

Perle

Exactly!

Bonochick...wow...you put into words just perfectly all the reasons why I adore, admire, and respect Bono so much.

A very moving, very true, very well-written tribute to such an amazing person.

I sit here sometimes and cannot believe that a person like Bono exists in this world.

But I am very grateful that he does exist in this world...and like the rest of you have said, if he never had existed, the world would be a darker place indeed.

An early happy birthday to Bono from me as well-glad to have him around for another year. :D. I hope he has a wonderful day.

Angela

Thanks so much, everybody. I was so flattered when HelloAngel asked me to write it, but I was nervous too. I bit my nails the whole time I was writing it because I was scared that my words wouldn't do Bono justice.

It was nice to reflect on all he has done for the world and for myself personally.

all my admiration, respect, platonic love and what is I cannot express it in English, but in Spanish...

Cuando yo necesitaba que alguien me ayudara s?lo Bono (y compa??a) fueron los que con su m?sica de inmensa belleza me dijeron que no desfalleciera... desde entonces Bono y U2 significan mucho en mi vida... por eso, en el cumplea?os 43 de Mr. Hewson s?lo me queda decir, muy trilladamente, Felicidades :)

Bonochick said:
Thanks so much, everybody. I was so flattered when HelloAngel asked me to write it, but I was nervous too. I bit my nails the whole time I was writing it because I was scared that my words wouldn't do Bono justice.

Aww...:hug:.

Well, don't worry, your words certainly did him justice.

If he read that, I'm sure he'd be very flattered. :).

Angela

Excellent Bonochick... you couldn't have worded it anymore better than any of us could.

Happy Birthday Bono! It's a blessing for you to be in our lives. I wouldn't know what I would've been if not for knowing of the band and this wonderful man!

That's absolutely beautiful, and you're absolutely right. From reading that, I realized that I am the person I am because I listen to U2, and absorb Bono's lyrics and their meanings, and take them to heart. Bono's voice,lyrics,heart and soul have changed me for the better, and for that I am grateful to him. I know I'm going to say this a lot tomorrow, but Happy Birthday to the greatest rock star of all time!!!

fookin awesome, girl!!!

That was simply beautiful, Kat...I dunno why you got so nervous to write it...you did a wonderful job and covered all bases of the wonder that is Bono! :up::up:
Happy Birthday, Bono! And thanks for the literary beauty, Kat! :heart: :kiss:

Yes, indeed, "Happy Birthday to our favourite singer, songwriter, speechwriter and speechmaker, bad driver, soundbite artist and humanitarian activist."

On this day, I woud like to share with all of you a drawing in pencil made by one Russian girl. She's not a U2 fan, by the way...

Here comes the drawing. Sorry I am not expert in attaching files:)

Attachments

• b_handdraw.jpg
    b_handdraw.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom