U2 Fan Profile : sulawesigirl4 *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/profile/sula.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

sula.jpg

On June 14th Bethany Galipeau (perhaps better known as sulawesigirl4) announced in Interference?s Lemonade Stand that she was joining the Peace Corps. The 23-year-old finance major will be leaving her Twin Cities home in the middle of August to begin her training, eventually ending up at her post in Mali, West Africa.

Interference.com spoke with Galipeau about this life-changing, and maybe even world-changing, experience.

How did you first become interested in joining the Peace Corps?

Well, I suppose that in a way it was a bit of a no-brainer. I grew up overseas in Indonesia (my parents were missionaries) and I have always been interested in foreign cultures. I went to college to get my degree in finance with the intent of making a lot of money in the high-moving world of international business, but halfway through my studies I began to listen to and become involved in U2 and the U2 fan community, and although I didn?t know it at the time, it marked a turning point in my thought life and a shift in my priorities both internal and external. So, those last two years I began to be more disillusioned with the idea of spending my life in an endless pursuit of money only to beget more money for myself, and I also began to really take notice of the plight of poverty. The ?trickle-down? economic theories I had taken as gospel in my classes started to seem lacking as I researched what was going on.

When did you decide to actually join?

The actual decision, when I made it, was actually quite quick. I had been tossing the idea around in my head for almost six months as a casual thought [and] one day I logged onto the Peace Corps website and did a little research. For some reason, things clicked.

I had always thought that the application process would be too hard or that I wouldn?t be good Peace Corps material, but as I read through the application and the goals, I realized that it sounded like an extremely good fit. I started filling out the application and told myself that if just maybe they called me in for an interview, I would take it as a sign to go for it, and if not, well then I was no worse off than before, and I?d take no for an answer.

Right after I made the decision and began working my way through the process I was also in the throes of writing my senior finance project. I chose to write my paper on the World Bank and the IMF specifically because Bono?s involvement in Jubilee 2000 and Drop the Debt had made me curious to find out for myself what debt relief was all about and if it was really necessary or just some ?bleeding heart? thing. Needless to say, the research I did both angered me and inspired me. It was while writing the paper that I really began to hope to be placed in Africa if I was accepted into the Corps.

What reaction did you get from family and friends to this decision?

I think my parents were just glad I decided to do something productive with my life. Okay, I?m kidding a little bit, but my apathy and lack of career direction was noticeable and I think they could tell right away that it was something I actually felt passionate about and they are happy to see me happy. Besides, if they balked I could always remind them that at my age they had decided to move to the jungles of Indonesia so they really had no room to talk.

Most of my friends had kind of an ?aha? moment when I told them I was applying for the Corps. ?That is totally you!? was the most common reaction. My extended family?s reaction wasn?t quite as enthusiastic, I think it was something along the lines of ?Africa? Why would anyone want to go there? They have AIDS in Africa!?

What were the toughest and easiest parts about making this decision?

I?m an extremely independent and strong-minded woman. I think the hardest part of the decision was to realize that whatever post I was offered in the Peace Corps, I would probably be working within a culture where relations between the sexes would probably be difficult and frustrating, and I will admit that I am not unaware of the risks of harassment. It?s not something I am losing sleep over, but I?m also not na?ve.

I?ve lived as a minority in a third-world country before and I know how tiring and draining it can be to be an outsider. However, this is also maybe the easy part of the decision, I have lived in difficult circumstances before, I?ve had to collect rainwater, wash my own clothes, kill large bugs, use a squat toilet, and eat things that look like they?d be better off uneaten. I hope that these childhood cross-cultural experiences of mine will work to my advantage.

Can you break down the process of when you leave, begin training and actually end up at your final post?

Well, as far as I can tell from the information I have gotten from the Peace Corps at present, I will leave Minnesota probably on August 12th for a pre-field orientation of two days. Then it?s on to Mali where everyone on the team undergoes three months of onsite training which will include intensive language study (both French and whatever African language we will be using at our assigned sites), medical readiness, and technical job training. On November 1st of 2003 I should begin my term of service and it will be for two years.

What is going to be your main project while serving?

I?m not exactly sure yet, I know that my title is ?Urban Small Enterprise Development Advisor?. According to the information I have at the moment that could be anything from working with different NGOs (non-governmental organizations) to micro-financing to assisting in entrepreneurial activities.

How do you feel your past education and working experience is going to help you during your two years with the Peace Corps?

Hopefully that finance degree won?t go to waste after all. Actually, I have worked as a project assistant in information technology for about three years as well as a variety of other business-related jobs, so I think that I will at least have something to contribute. I feel like I have a ton to learn, though.

Why do you think you'll make a great Peace Corps volunteer?

I feel that my flexibility and willingness to be open to new experiences will be a great asset, I try to see difference and diversity as a good thing and not ?weird? or ?backward? because they may not be the way Americans do things. Also, I have learned several
languages (and forgotten a few) in my short lifetime, so I?m hoping that the linguistic piece will come somewhat easily to me.

What are you hoping to gain personally from this experience?

I see my time as a learning experience and a trial ground. I am interested in the concept of doing humanitarian or aid work as a career, but as of yet I don?t know if it?s something I?m cut out for. Although Peace Corps isn?t exactly that, I feel that it should at least give me a good idea of whether or not this sort of life is what I want and if I will feel like I am contributing something to the world rather than just taking from it. Above all I just want to be able to be doing something is productive and helpful to others that I can feel proud of.

What are you hoping to accomplish during your time in the Peace Corps?

I?d like to end world hunger and poverty. Okay, no I?m not that young or idealistic, but truthfully I would like to at least contribute in a tiny fractional way to making the world a better place. And I know that sounds horribly clich? and probably ?bleeding-heart,? perhaps I have listened to Bono too much and his words are starting to sound like truth to me: ?I can?t change the world, but I can change the world in me.?

Anything else you'd like to share with Interference.com about joining the Peace Corps?

Look into joining! It?s not as though you have anything to lose, and only the world to gain.

For more information on the Peace Corps visit www.peacecorps.gov.

Wow-what a great article

There is nothing "cliche" or "bleeding heart" about ANYTHING you're doing Sula, and it makes me ashamed of how little I do.

All the luck in the world to you on your new venture :)

Amen girl. I loved my time in the Corps (Zimbabwe), and it was worth every single tear (and there were a lot of 'em ;)). Amazing experience. I'm proud of you (hope that doesn't sound arrogant....) You'll be even more inspired when you come back! Give me a PM if you want to talk or ask me anything.

:up: :yes:

SD

While reading this I had the fortunate experience of hearing "If God will send his Angles" and I believe he has. I have chills. This is incredible. I've enjoyed your post and insight, keep us informed, as always.
God's speed sulawesigirl4:hug:

Last edited:
BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR VERY SPECIAL JOURNEY BETHANY!! :wave:

We will all be with ya in spirit and U2 of course too! We are also so very PROUD OF YOU TOO! :applaud: It will surely be an experience that you won't forget or would ever want to.

Take Good Care of Yourself! And be careful!

We will miss ya!:sad:

:hug:

Amy

Awesome, sula! Peace Corps-wow. I've thought on occasion about that as well...after reading this, I'm a little more interested to check that out myself. :).

I wish you the best of luck with your involvement in the Peace Corps. We need more people like you in this world, and it's great that you're going to do your part to help people. Way to go! You have my full support.

Angela

Hello Sula,

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating again, I'm proud of what you're going to do. You're truly a good person and one who wants to do good to others.
Good luck and hopefully much fun in Africa!
Should you still have time left, try practising that Dutch language thingie, it's getting better each day! :)

C ya!

Marty

:hug:

This is an incredible accomplishment and opportunity!:up:
Good Luck, God Bless, and stay safe!:)

Back
Top Bottom