Classic Track: All I Want Is You*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/analysis/aiwiy.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor

I?d probably heard the song when it first came out as the final song on ?Rattle & Hum? but it wasn?t until it appeared on the ?Reality Bites? soundtrack that I really became aware of ?All I Want Is You.? It did start to be everywhere, accompanied by its unique video, and called to me, reminded me at a time when U2 was broadening its musical horizons and seeming to become more flash and less true rock that at one time heart was really all there was to the band.

?All I Want Is You,? quite simply, is U2?s most passionate song. From the lyrics to the musical arrangement to Bono?s delivery, the entire song is full-fledged, U2?s grandest piece of art. It?s opera and epic novel, the ultimate account of love gone wrong, and it gets me every single time I hear it.

aiwiy.jpg

(Image: U2.com)

Like any U2 love song, ?All I Want Is You? is thorny. For years, I wondered about the romantic lives of the band members because they?ve never really been able to do a straight forward love song, all singing birds and blooming flowers, there?s always something darker, a certain longing and ache. ?All I Want Is You? takes that ache down to its most desperate point, a frantic phone message, a hastily-scribbled note just needing to say it all, to get in that final word.

The song begins with a hush, Bono?s voice at its raspiest with the rest of the band gently chugging behind him. He begins the laundry list, all the things she wants to get, wants to give. Then the song builds, indicting all those promises as empty compared to what he needs, simply her. The strings come in next, swirling around as Bono?s singing becomes more intense, Edge?s playing more methodical. The bass, drums and rhythm guitar conspire to create the song?s pacing backdrop, a scorned lover retracing the same steps in his apartment over and over again as he wonders where did it all go wrong.

All of these different musical elements, the wondrous creation of the members of U2 and pop legend Van Dyke Parks (Brian Wilson?s collaborator), work with and off of each other so well. The middle of the song is both cacophony and symphony, chaos and sense as somehow the storyteller sees the truth of his situation.

The pay off for all of this is one of U2?s proudest recorded moments, the different musical elements coming together to create the perfect runway for Bono?s souring vocals, three times calling out, ?All I want is you!? This is Brando?s Stanley screaming, ?Stella!!? at the top of his lungs in the pouring rain, this is mourning and heartbreak and frustration and agony, and it is so beautiful to listen to my heart actually swells whenever I hear it.

But that moment is really only about the song?s halfway point. Edge comes in with one of his greatest non-solo solos, calling forth the same pattern over and over again until soon, it?s gone, the band?s gone, and all that is left is the string section, swirling us out and above. I always imagine the band putting down their instruments at the point and walking away, a good day?s work completed. It?s a glorious way to end not just a song but also an album (two, actually, since U2 also chose this song to close out it?s first greatest hits collection).

There are days when I need a little extra, when the ride to work is too treacherous, when I?m feeling punk or out of sorts. Though it can?t solve all my problems, a song like ?All I Want Is You? just injects something into me, it?s brutal openness making me glad to be alive, glad to know happiness and sadness and love and heartache, glad to be the benefactor of pure artistic genius. And then Bono?s moment comes on, I punch the volume up as loud as I can handle, and I?m soaring. In the midst of all that, life is good.

Last edited:
Thank you, Devlin, for highlighting one of U2's GREATEST SONGS - not to mention one of their BEST Love songs!:yes:

For me, "All I Want is You" is BONO'S MANIFESTO about his idea of Love - a relationship where the expectations(promises) are few and the freedom to SIMPLY BE ONESELF and to be ACCEPTED FOR BEING ONESELF, without pretension, is expansive.:up:

For those of us who want to REALLY KNOW what goes on in Bono's Heart and Soul regarding a Loving relationship, "All I WANT is YOU" is one of the PREMIER songs of U2 which will reveal what motivates the B-man in relationships - the DESIRE TO SIMPLY BE - without condemnation or expectation. :angel: :hug:

BONO, JUST KEEP ON BEING YOU - YOU ARE A BLESSING TO THE WORLD and a GLORIOUS EXAMPLE OF UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

Desire to be, its something you search can search for in all the wrong places and find when you least expect.

Found it, lost it, still searching for it; damn song opens wounds every time.

All I want is you!

When my husband and I were married in 1997, that was the first song that we danced to. Truely the loveliest words spoken from one to another. And a beautiful song from beginning to end.
May I just say that some of the older set at the wedding didn't really get the guitar solo at the end of the dance but that was our favorite part!

Devlin, one of the things that most attracted me to Interference was it's homepage, it always contained the most amazing stories written by U2 fans. Obviously, everything from thereon led to the forum, which although is the most subscribed to on the web, can at times be off-putting - This is exactly what U2 sites are about and it's what I appreciate - I've always loved reading your articles, its clear that you're a passionate and very talented writer and again you've touched me with what I regard as the greatest love song of all time - yep, U2 are the last romantics - forgive me for geting bogged down in politics but I honestly believe that this is one of the finest descriptive pieces I've ever read...you've captured the songs esence, it's spirit...you've taken the thorns away...life's not so stark, life is good...life is....listen....

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want
Your story to remain untold

But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you

You say you?ll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night

You say you?ll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
But all the promises we make
When all I want is you

You say you want
Your love to work out right
To last with me through the night

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

All the promises we break
When all I want is you

You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...

"wondered about the romantic lives of the band members because they?ve never really been able to do a straight forward love song, all singing birds and blooming flowers, there?s always something darker, a certain longing and ache."

Very Well written, it's a perfect description. One of my favorite u2 songs, it's a pure masterpiece. The music goes so well with the lyrics to the song.

Hi Devlin - thanks for your excellent reflection on AIWIY. I wrote something that I've been thinking about for awhile and I'm curious to hear your opinion.

I think that the All I Want Is You video may be possibly connected to Wender?s film Wings Of Desire. The lead female in both is a circus trapeze artist. Wings ends with the circus heading south for the winter. AIWIY is set on a beach in Italy. The ?lover? in Wings misses her as the circus leaves for the south (but he accidentally bumps into her at a nightclub). AIWIY could be a continuation of this story as if they didn?t meet each other at the end of Wings. And instead of angel becoming human as a typical man he comes to life as a small person / a short person. Even though in Wings the woman is longing for a ?genuine? love (regardless of physical appearance) and she thinks and feels at very deep level -in the AIWISY video it could be what sometimes happens in real life ? that is she ?compromises? her values and principles. She ?sells out? for merely a physical and material love > she stops listening to her heart / conscience > she ?settles? for an easy love / a superficial romance. She rejects the small person?s love. When she realizes her mistake it is too late. Her ?heart? has died symbolized by her physical death. Both are filmed in black and white. I?ll have to watch the video again to see if U2 are portrayed themselves as angel-like figures in it?

Back
Top Bottom