Analysis : Images in U2 : Happy to go Blind *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
Analysis : Images in U2 : Happy to go Blind

By Kimberly "hippy" Egolf

Over twenty years and dozens of songs, U2 has collected a body of work that is both stunning and incredibly revealing. Each month in this column, I'll be exploring an idea, a theme, a motif, or a phrase that is repeated throughout U2's music. As a caveat though, please remember that this is my opinion. My aim is to explore interesting ideas about the band we all love. I hope this column sparks interest in people to take a closer look at what U2 is saying through their music.

That said, let me dive right in...

"Blindness" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as a blind condition, a want of sight, or concealment; figuratively, it's defined as a want of intellectual or moral perception; delusion, ignorance; folly, recklessness.

The multiplicity of definitions for this one single word provides vast opportunity for interpretation. And "blindness" is one of Bono's favorite themes or suggestions. From the earliest days of the Boy album until the most recent All That You Can't Leave Behind, the band explores this theme, indeed, this one single word, which triggers so many different impressions.

It is precisely the ambiguity of such a word that makes it so appealing for the band. As with most artists, the ability to layer meanings has always been an important one for U2. Their songs support numerous readings depending on what you're looking for. And each person can interpret a song differently, yet they may all be correct. That is one of the beauties of this band's songs.

And dealing with one of the most ambiguous of all U2 topics leaves open a wide spectrum of interpretation.

The very first U2 studio album, Boy, opens with the song "I Will Follow." Within the first minute of the song Bono has introduced one of the overarching themes of the next two decades. He says:

I was on the outside when you said
You said you needed me
I was looking at myself
I was blind, I could not see

He speaks of being "on the outside," that is, able to look at himself from the outside; able to view the world from outside his own body; able to see himself through other's eyes. He then makes the ambiguous statement "I was looking at myself/ I was blind, I could not see." This can be interpreted two different ways. He might be saying that he can recognize his own blindness and the fact that his blindness constricts him to darkness in all matters. Or, the singer could be hinting that, even when he steps outside of himself, he remains blind and unable to view the world around him or even himself. This is simply a syntactical problem that adds to the elusiveness of a definite meaning. But it introduces the audience to a young man who is questioning himself, a young man who is unsure of the world and the body in which he lives.

Their next offering to the musical world remains firmly rooted and attached to a specific period of U2's history. While making the sophomore album October, the band was experiencing an intense emotional time. Bono, Larry, and Edge were questioning their faith and their friends who were telling them to give up the band they were intensely passionate about. At the same time, the band members were growing apart as a result of this religious questioning.

This pain and perturbation is evident on October. Indeed, it serves as the focus of the record in many ways. October is structured around this religious struggle with the worldly self. After a joyful salute to the creator ("Gloria") and a confession of fallibility as a human ("I Fall Down"), the song "I Threw A Brick Through A Window" appears. With a pounding drum, bass pattern and sparse guitar, Bono's vocals and lyrics really take precedence. And it's in this gem of a song that another reference to "blindness" occurs. The singer confesses in the first three verses that he cannot hear a word, that he's "gotta get out," and that he's "going nowhere." The bridge brings the climax of the song: the singer's realization that he's completely blind because he chooses not to see.

No one... no one is blinder
Than he who will not see
No one... no one is blinder
Than me

Given the theme of the rest of the album, the blindness referred to here is most likely a spiritual blindness. He's once again stepping outside of himself (as in "I Will Follow") in order to realize this spiritual truth about his own blindness, a blindness that doesn't allow him the eyes or the mind with which he can see himself and the world outside.

While not mentioning the word "blindness" specifically, the War album speaks of a moral blindness that Bono sees in the world. The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday," expressing the singer's anger over the destruction of war, shows the worldly blindness of people who can allow war to continue to the detriment and destruction of all things. The rest of the album also speaks to this moral blindness. The singer calls out repeatedly for an answer that he is unable to see. The lament that begins the album, "how long must we sing this song?" also ends the album, creating a circle from which there seems to be no escape.

With the more ethereal Unforgettable Fire, the band left the themes of their previous three albums, choosing instead to focus on music that created images. Their next album, The Joshua Tree, continued this new imagery and reintegrated the themes that the band had been exploring throughout their almost ten-year career. After "Where The Streets Have No Name," the rousing and inspiring opening song of the album, a quiet, driving gospel number sneaks up on the listener. The simple, tranquil opening notes belie the coming lyrical intensity and storm of a man driven spiritually blind by his quest to find what he's looking for. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" shows the singer in perhaps his most desperate stage of spiritual blindness. The song begins with a list of things that he's done in order to try to find this elusive something, about which he is singing. He seems disappointed that, after all he's done (listed throughout the rest of the song), he's "still running" and can't seem to find an answer. The song ends with the desperate cry of the singer confessing, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

While the song doesn't mention "blindness" by name, it still seems that "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is the natural culmination of the spiritual blindness explored in previous albums. The song, while a desperate cry for relief from blindness, is also an uplifting assertion of the fallibility of being human. Despite all the things that the singer had tried in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, none of them have worked. He acknowledges this and, in doing so, creates more room for faith and trust. In essence, the acknowledgement of his doubt and his searching provides it's own answer to the singer. He affirms that life is a constant search and, as a human, he can never find the answer by any action he can take. And thus, what starts out as a simple, pounding rhythmic song turns into a complex lyrical avowal of faith and understanding of his own failings. The song is both the lowest and the highest point in U2's search for relief from their human spiritual blindness.

But, as the story goes, on the very last night of the 1980s, Bono told the world that the band had ?to go away... and just dream it all up again;" and that they did, including the ideas that would appear on the next album. Achtung Baby marked a departure from any previous U2 work. They began to deal less in the purely spiritual, instead fusing the spirit with the flesh and creating a new sound and a new dimension for the band. But though they reinvented themselves, the underlying issues in their music remained the same. The album dealt with the theme of love: love of a woman, love of a man for his God, love of popular culture, love of a son for his father, etc.

The last song on the album is the culmination of this exploration of love. Beginning with a soft organ melody and a then picking up a rhythmic pounding, "Love Is Blindness" evokes an almost primal reaction. There's something lulling and intoxicating about the music. The listener feels a sort of lethargy and, almost involuntarily, the body begins to sway. Then Bono's vocals come in with an otherworldliness that adds to the dream quality of the song.

"Love is Blindness" sums up all the feelings of this tumultuous and searching album. Bono doesn't specify what type of love he's speaking of, and his lyrics remain sufficiently vague to encourage the kind of layering that is characteristic of U2's songs. All the loves he's spoken of thus far in the album (and, indeed, in U2's career) are captured in this song. The thesis of the album, and the song, is "love is blindness" - love is a kind of disability; a loss of spirit; a death; a relinquishing of power. Love is an inability to see anything but love itself. As stated above, love enters into any number of relationships.

But the crux of the song is the singer's response to the statement "love is blindness":

Love is blindness
I don't want to see
Won't you wrap the night
Around me

Since love is blindness, he wants to be blind. He wants to be blind to everything that isn't love. This song is an answer to every question U2's raised about "going blind". Even though it could be a disability, the singer would rather live without sight than without love. The singer makes it okay to be blind; in his view, it's not necessarily a disability. If one sacrifices such a dear sense as one's sight, there has to be a good reason. And those reasons are the relationships the singer has spoken of: love of a woman, love of a man for his God, love of popular culture, love of a son for his father, etc. These things are worth more to the singer than any physical sense like sight could ever be.

And thus, the song is a powerful affirmation of belief in love itself as a conqueror of any disability. Although one might not have sight, one can live without it rather than give up such a precious thing as love in any form.

Pop also answers the statement that "love is blindness." And the conclusion is the same as on Achtung Baby. "Staring At the Sun" contains the following lines that are a direct answer to the song "Love Is Blindness":

I'm not just deaf and dumb
Staring at the sun
Not the only one
Who's happy to go blind

Once again, when others call blindness a disability, Bono says that he would rather go blind than risk losing the benefits of understanding, of "staring at the sun." This song from Pop also adds another dimension to the issue of "blindness." The song seems to deal with the issue of being a rock star and being famous. If this is the case, then the singer is saying that being a rock star, "staring at the sun," may drive him to blindness, but it's worth it for the knowledge he gains.

So from the very earliest references until some of the most recent albums, we've seen the various ways the band uses the idea of "blindness" to explore their own spirituality and their own ideas about the world. Blindness can be a spiritual phenomenon or it can be a physical one. Blindness can mean a lack of direction or a necessary evil for understanding the world. But in whatever context the band uses it, it seems that they are always "happy to go blind," because only by going blind can you understand yourself and the world.

March 2003

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts and comments please!

Hey everyone! I'd really like to hear your thoughts and comments on this! This will (hopefully) be a recurring column and I'd like to figure out what's working and what isn't... so your input is what I want! I'm one of those people who can stand a lot of criticism (as long as it's constructive) so please share anything :)

Thanks!

:wave:

Hippy,

I just want to say that reading and editing your column was an honor and a delight. Wonderful, wonderful. :heart: :wave:

Kimberly -- that was a lovely article and truly explains Bono and U2's lyrics, and am looking forward to your next one. The world needs Bono and the more who understand him, the better.........................

Hippy:
This was a really good article, and a really good analysis of Bono's lyrics. It was well thought out, and some of it challenged me to examine the lyrics more closely (such as Staring at the Sun). Keep up the good work, and let's see some more columns!:yes:
Perle

Brilliant Hippy! :up:

I have always noticed Bono's obsession with blindness and wondered about all that too. I enjoyed your in depth consideration of the subject. I still believe that overall Bono is a very visual person who would hate to go blind, and would wither and die in the darkness. I think he likes to use it as a metaphor, maybe even play blind like when he walks around the heart covering his eyes in BTBS, but in the end he's very glad to open his eyes again and see the beautiful day:)

Well, first, let me say this right off the bat: my AP Lit teacher would love you. :).

Second, awesome way to start this!

I never realized how often the idea of blindness is brought up in U2's songs! Wow. That's a really good look into that particular motif.

I love this-I'll look forward to each month's column, it'll be neat to hear what your interpretations and explanations are (and it'll probably get me to notice various songs in a different manner as well).

Angela

wow! Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone *no pun intended*

*gets warm fuzzies*

I'm in the process of choosing a new topic and writing about! so hopefully within the next couple of weeks the April Column will be up! :)

Thanks again for all the encouragement :)

Really well done!
What a great articel.

I'm thinking a lot about U2 lyrics too and you gave me a completely new access to some things!

The prospect of a blind Bono gets me hot :censored:

blindfoldo.jpg

blindfoldfightbig.jpg

:combust: :combust:

Of course I wouldn't really want him to go blind :sad: the blindfold is good enough;) Then you could take it off and see the baby blues :cute:

blindfoldeyes.jpg

*sorry to bring PLEBAism into your serious work here;)

Good job!

Last edited:
Re: Analysis : Images in U2 : Happy to go Blind

salomeU2000 said:
By Kimberly "hippy" Egolf

Pop also answers the statement that "love is blindness." And the conclusion is the same as on Achtung Baby. "Staring At the Sun" contains the following lines that are a direct answer to the song "Love Is Blindness":

Staring at the sun
Not the only one
Who's happy to go blind

Once again, when others call blindness a disability, Bono says that he would rather go blind than risk losing the benefits of understanding, of "staring at the sun." This song from Pop also adds another dimension to the issue of "blindness." The song seems to deal with the issue of being a rock star and being famous. If this is the case, then the singer is saying that being a rock star, "staring at the sun," may drive him to blindness, but it's worth it for the knowledge he gains.

March 2003

Hey, good work. Not only your thoughts and interpretations are good, also your fluent expressions. It sounds as if you are a journalist, who knows maybe you are :) ?

Your interpretation of Staring At The Sun was new for me.

Looking at the lyrics of the song:

"Summer stretching on the grass
Summer dresses pass
In the shade of a willow tree
Creeps a crawling over me

Over me and over you
Stuck together with God's glue
It's going to get stickier too
It's been a long hot summer
Let's get under cover
Don't try too hard to think
Don't think at all

I'm not the only one
Staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'd find
If you took a look inside

Staring at the sun
Not the only one
Who's happy to go blind

There's an insect in your ear
If you scratch it won't disappear
It's going to itch and burn and sting
You want to see what the scratching brings

Waves that leave me out of reach
Breaking on your back like a beach
Will we ever live in peace
'Cause those that can't do
Often have to
And those that can't do
Often have to preach

To the ones
Staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'll find
If you took a look inside

Not just deaf and dumb
Staring at the sun
I'm not the only one
Who'd rather go blind

Intransigence is all around
Military still in town
Armour plated suits and ties
Daddy just won't say goodbye

Referee won't blow the whistle
God is good but will He listen
I'm nearly great
But there's something missing
I left it in the duty free
But you never really belonged to me

You're not the only one
Staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'd find
If you stepped back inside

I'm not sucking on my thumb
I'm staring at the sun
Not the only one
Who's happy to go blind"

I don?t interprete this song like you - that being the wonderful thing about art, I guess you can interprete a good piece of art in a thousand different ways.

When I listen to the start with the guitar, it actually remembers me of what Bono sings... it remembers me of lying in the grass in a park, maybe listening to a guitar somewhere, then of a dream like feeling the hot summer air, lets get under cover like lets make love, and don?t try to think to hard, don?t think at all, like forget about the hurt in the world that hurts you.

Then when he sings the chorus, he knows there are many people on this planet feeling like him; he?s not the only one who is staring at this sun, we all have one big sun shining down on us, and many stare up there from time to time wondering about its power... and if we could just melt with the light the sun gives, we would be blind, but we could forget, about the wound and hurt and pain on crying mother earth.

The second verse focuses on the insect; the insect is like the above mentioned wound that could probably heal, but you scratch, and you scratch, and it opens again... it is going to burn, but you want to see what the scratching brings - maybe especially in Bono?s position who has - limited, but definitely some - power to try to make the world a little better... he scratches and wants to see what the hurt is worth.

Then again, there are waves that leave him out of reach, take him to another place; "breaking on your back like a beach" is a mysterious line, who is "you"...? it could be the form of a wave of the back of a woman who is lying on the grass, in the sun, with him, and at the same time it could be what we might call the creator. "Will we ever live in peace" is quite clear.

And again, he is not the only one, staring at the sun... afraid of what you find, if you took a look inside - open to interpretation, like the rest of the song...

The third verse is more political, more concrete, and then one more chorus.

So, that goes into the direction of my interpretation of the lyrics of this song; I don?t know if it has to do with being a rockstar and being famous, let alone if being a rockstar makes him gain any additional valuable knowledge. To me, the song seems more down to earth, in the sense that Bono realizes he wants to forget and therefore could stare at the sun until he gets blind (in fact you can get blind, when staring inside for 2, 3 minutes), especially considering that you open yourself to spirituality and sensuality (start of the song) more when you?re not bitter, but on the other hand it makes him sad, and sometimes he would be happy to be able to forget.

Re: Re: Analysis : Images in U2 : Happy to go Blind

Nope, not a journalist... just an English major who's been trained to overanalyze everything ;)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

To me, the song seems more down to earth, in the sense that Bono realizes he wants to forget and therefore could stare at the sun until he gets blind (in fact you can get blind, when staring inside for 2, 3 minutes), especially considering that you open yourself to spirituality and sensuality (start of the song) more when you?re not bitter, but on the other hand it makes him sad, and sometimes he would be happy to be able to forget.

:up: I can definitely go for that

My interpretation of SATS in this particular case was playing off of the themes of Achtung Baby and Zooropa

But the beauty of U2, and most of the reason I wanted to write this column, is that the band writes such incredible music and lyrics that can withstand numerous interpretations. Every time I listen to a U2 song, I come away with something different. Like any piece of pure art, their songs evolve and consistently take on new shapes.

[/U2 art love fest] ;)

Thanks for sharing your interpretation, hiphop... I'd never quite thought of the song like that before :)

Re: Re: Re: Analysis : Images in U2 : Happy to go Blind

hippy said:

But the beauty of U2, and most of the reason I wanted to write this column, is that the band writes such incredible music and lyrics that can withstand numerous interpretations. Every time I listen to a U2 song, I come away with something different. Like any piece of pure art, their songs evolve and consistently take on new shapes.

Exactly.

Thank you, hippy, it was a pleasure to read your work. :)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Well, first, let me say this right off the bat: my AP Lit teacher would love you. :).

Mine would too! :) You did such an amazing job (and hiphop too for SATS...) of connecting some abstract, intangible (for most of us anyways) theme and showing how a lyricist like bono can use it to not only make the songs so much more powerful and deep but also to make the listener think...and anyone can do that if they want to, or they can just listen to the music. And thats what always blows me away about U2..they're so elevated in both areas that listening to a song is like a sonic boom...you're thinking, you're enjoying the music, you're feeling prodded to think of what it all means, or what bono felt when the was writing the words. And yet at the same time it doesn't matter what bono was writing about, at the same time the song is about you, and you can see it as your song, sometimes maybe the song and the lyrics transcend the experience that led to the song itself, for example, In a Little While...according to bono, just through the way one person, one amazing person who bono had looked up to in his life, and the way he heard the song helped to turn it into something more than it was, a "gospel song" as bono put it. Or maybe you could say that a song is brought to its full meaning when its performed, with the music, live perhaps, and the lyrics perhaps fall to the wayside. At a first glance to a lyrics sheet, the words to WOWY might seem unremarkable, a first comment might be "it just says 'with or without you' over and over" but any person who knows the power of the song, whoever has heard the song and been moved on it, felt the building through the music..knows that its more than that. And for ideas that can't be put into words there's imagery, "the stone set in your eyes"...i don't know, i think sometimes that music can be a higher form of literature. ..i look at music as how it applies to me, i'm sure i'm not the only one who's heard a string of songs on the radio and been convinced that the dj had yourself on his or her mind....lol thats just my, eh, fifteen cents ;)

Absolutely amazing! A fine read indeed. Thank you!
I' like to point out that you've left out a (what I think to be) crucial quote: "It's the blind leading the blond" (From If God Will Send His Angels in Achtung Baby). I always wondered what that meant...

wow the way you write is amazing, you have a talent there...Ive only just discovered these articles of yours properly and I've enjoyed reading each one. :)

BTW you will remember what Bono says in Elevation video (Boston) referring to himself? After introducing Edge, Larry and Adam he says (while Edge starts playing "Desire"): "I am the blind ambition of the band...need to be blind sometimes...90%..."

Back
Top Bottom