Introspect : New Year's Day *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/introspect/nydthumb.gif[/SIMG]
By Debbie Kreuser
2003 / 2004

With its soaring vocals and nearly perfect rhythm lines, "New Year's Day" emerged in the early 1980s as a U2 favorite. Composed of simple words, it stirred a timeless hope and belief in the souls of all those who heard it, the aspiration for freedom and unity for people around the world, a theme that would continue in U2's songwriting in the years to come with songs like "Pride," "Please," "Walk On," and the recent "American Prayer." And with its message of peace and goodwill for all humanity, it is the perfect U2 song to reflect on as we start the year 2004.

All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway
I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes on New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

nydband.gif

According to Niall Stokes in "Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song," "New Year's Day" probably began as a love song from Bono to Ali but quickly became something more. In 1980, the Solidarity movement in Poland, under the leadership of future Nobel Peace Prize winner and president Lech Walesa, openly challenged the oppressive rule of the then Polish government. In December 1981, the Solidarity movement was outlawed and Walesa, and its other leaders, were arrested and put in jail. As Bono once recalled: "Subconsciously I must have been thinking about Lech Walesa being interned and his wife not being allowed to see him. Then, when we'd recorded the song, they announced that martial law would be lifted in Poland on New Year's Day. Incredible."

As the song continues, it further documents the growing movement of people clamoring for freedom and justice throughout Eastern Europe in the early 1980s.

Under a blood red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few
The newspapers say it's true
It's true
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one

But while the song no doubt holds now-historic significance, what is the significance of this song for us in 2004? It resides in the power of four words--"I will begin again." The willingness to start over, to "begin again," may be the most important idea that we can gleam from U2's music and is a very appropriate concept to consider at the start of a new year.

U2's music, and Bono's lyrics, have always providing a sense of empowerment, the knowledge that deep within us we have the ability to change ourselves--and our world. We can recreate ourselves, become better human beings, bring hope and love to our world. And if U2's music hasn't motivated us to "begin again," the personal trials, tribulations and ultimate triumphs of Bono's life should.

Bono's life and career has been an evolving tale of one man's decision to choose good over bad, hope over despair, action over apathy, grace over karma. And in the process, he has given us a brilliant life which we can affirm and emulate.

So, as we start the year 2004, let us remember this magnificent song by U2 and on New Year's Day let our resolution simply be--I will begin again!

Amen! I love the lyrics in that song-so hopeful, so inspiring. I hope that this new year will bring all of that out.

"In 1980, the Solidarity movement in Poland, under the leadership of future Nobel Peace Prize winner and president Lech Walesa, openly challenged the oppressive rule of the then Polish government. In December 1981, the Solidarity movement was outlawed and Walesa, and its other leaders, were arrested and put in jail. As Bono once recalled: "Subconsciously I must have been thinking about Lech Walesa being interned and his wife not being allowed to see him. Then, when we'd recorded the song, they announced that martial law would be lifted in Poland on New Year's Day. Incredible."

That's freaky.

Angela

:wink: Yes, I agree! These words seem to inspire endlessly! Every new conflict, war separation of loved ones! And it's a good Birthday song! For me and my 6 year old niece, Emilia*!!

"In 1980, the Solidarity movement in Poland, under the leadership of future Nobel Peace Prize winner and president Lech Walesa, openly challenged the oppressive rule of the then Polish government. In December 1981, the Solidarity movement was outlawed and Walesa, and its other leaders, were arrested and put in jail. As Bono once recalled: "Subconsciously I must have been thinking about Lech Walesa being interned and his wife not being allowed to see him. Then, when we'd recorded the song, they announced that martial law would be lifted in Poland on New Year's Day. Incredible."

I don't know that... it's incredible... freaky...

SalU2! :wave:

An incredible song.One that is a timeless classic,and can never be heard too much.

Back
Top Bottom