For Your Consideration: Sign Language Interpreters at European Shows*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Chris Dougal (aka dougal55)

As fans, we?re full of suggestions for what U2 should do next ?producers to work with, singles to release, venues that must be played at. This is your chance to present those opinions. Who knows who might be out there reading it?

My name is Chris Dougal, I currently live in London and have been following U2 since first hearing "Under a Blood Red Sky" in college. I've had the pleasure of seeing U2 live numerous times and still think they're the best live band I have ever seen.

I'm deaf and have been since birth but, fortunately, I have good hearing in my right ear with the help of a hearing aid so am able to hear music quite well. In all the concerts that I have been to, I've had a great time listening to U2 live. At the last concert I went to, however, I decided to take three of my best mates who are all deaf to see U2 in Slane.

As you can imagine, it was a fantastic day for us but I found that, as my friends use sign language extensively, they would rather see a sign language interpreter in front of them interpreting the songs and, as Bono usually does, speeches and re-wording of the songs. I would very much agree with them as I know quite a number of U2 fans here in UK and across Europe who would love to see that happen. Sign language interpreters were used at US Elevation dates. Thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act, venues must provide access to deaf people and that includes provision for sign language interpreters.

I believe there is a case for the same treatment for deaf U2 fans in Europe during the next U2 tour. Having someone there to interpret both the lyrics and banter will enable deaf fans, many for the first time ever, to more fully enjoy and appreciate the U2 concert than we when previously could only follow the vibrations of the music itself.

Last edited:
HelloAngel, thanks a million for putting this up!

Hey Biff, thanks for your support...

Hope someone out there takes note........

Cheers!

dougal55

i think they should

It costs so little, and you get so much back!

Exactly, Tomer, Exactly!

I couldnt agree more.... You know, it would make a big difference, not just to me but to deaf people in general if this happens. It has never been done before anywhere in Europe so Id be absolutely freaking delighted if this was to happen.... :D

Im determined, absolutely determined to achieve it so that deaf people can learn about the unique live experience of seeing U2 on stage.... and maybe, just maybe it might lead to many more rock/pop concerts being more accessible to the deaf community at large.

dougal

Chris, this is a wonderful suggestion! I hope that the right people read this and can get in touch with the necessary organizations to get this going for the '05 tour. I wish you all my best! :)

I also hope that any U2 fans reading this who are fluent in ASL, or its European equivalent can volunteer to sign the songs for deaf fans they know might be there. If I knew sign, I would do it and I know that some of us know sign or someone who does who can help.

:heart:

sign language/interpreters

chris- I think your idea is fantastic--after all there are so many that can hear but dont listen-- what a great idea to bring the music and meaning to those who cant hear but want to listen

This is an absolutely kickass idea :) As someone who's seen ASL interpreters at a few festivals, it works quite well :)

(I'm also trying to get a few songs signable before TO 1, but it's slow going as I'm mainly working with ASL dictionaries *g*)

hello....i've missed the boat for vertigo but i actually work as a bsl interpreter in london, england. I'm fully qualified and wld merrily volunteer myself to do one, some, or (hell) ALL of their shows the next time around. So if anyone official reads this drop me a line on greengreeny@hotmail.com. My name's andrew

Back
Top Bottom