A U2 Fan's New Year's Resolutions*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

With the start of a new year comes the time to make a new list of resolutions. There's always the standard fare of losing weight, saving money and finding a new job all making their way onto my list as new calendar pages open up. But as a U2 fan, there are also a few things I'd like to check off in 2006. In the hopes that I'll actually accomplish a few of these things, here's my list of U2 resolutions.

Meet Larry

In 2003 I received my first and only issue of Propaganda and, in the time since, have been lucky enough to get Bono, Edge and Adam Clayton to sign it. Thus far, though, the magazine is missing Larry Mullen's autograph.

My Propaganda has traveled with me to Ireland and back, as well as to several concerts and across state lines, all in the hopes of collecting each band members' signature. I want to stop carrying the magazine around, the pages have worn down. Hopefully, somehow, this can be the year that I get Larry's autograph.

Get Bootlegs for All the Shows I've Attended

I've attended eight U2 shows in the course of my fandom—one PopMart show (Los Angeles), one Elevation show (LA 1) and six Vertigo shows (San Diego 1, Anaheim 1 and Los Angeles 1 on the first leg; Los Angeles 1, Las Vegas 1 and New York 6 on the third leg). Last October at the U2 fan convention in Southern California I got a video bootleg of the PopMart show and now I want more.

I know that fans are extremely generous with their bootlegs and that all these shows are readily available, it's just a matter of me concentrating on sending the e-mails and making the contacts. This year, I promise myself I will.

Watch "Entropy" and "The Million Dollar Hotel"

I've seen neither of these U2-related movies—the first where Bono plays himself and lead actor Stephen Dorff's conscience, and the second, which Bono wrote. I don't know how good either movie will be; in fact I've had pretty strong reservations about "The Million Dollar Hotel" ever since lead actor Mel Gibson said it was "boring as a dog's ass." These are just two more things I think I need to experience as a U2 fan, two more pieces of the band's history that I don't want to miss out on.

See U2 in Another Country

The Vertigo Tour '05 allowed me to fulfill my dream of traveling cross-country to see U2, now I want to cross the globe. Ireland, of course, would be the ideal place to attend a U2 concert but, as yet, dates haven't been scheduled for Europe. Maybe more dates will be added, maybe I'll win a radio contest to see the band in Australia, Mexico or any of the other countries announced for Vertigo '06.

Pay off Vertigo '05 Debt

Of course I can't even think about seeing more U2 shows without paying off the shows I've already seen. Tickets for six shows, souvenirs, airfare and hotel rooms are just a small part of the U2 debt I incurred over the course of the year. There are also the magazines, DVD and U2.com membership that need to be paid off. In 2005 I definitely feel like I gave the band the "500 pounds" Bono joked about. Too bad most of it came from my still-suffering MasterCard.

Get My $32 Worth From U2.com

I had my doubts about the value of the website after everything that happened with the presale and the not always stellar exclusives provided to members but I still renewed for U2.com. I'm a sucker, I was completely enthralled by the idea of the "U2 Communication" dual-disc and didn't want to be the only kid on the block without one.

I got the dual-disc and am glad to have it. Now I want to be glad to have the rest of U2.com as well. I'm not sure that I'll be using any presale opportunities this year but feel there must be something else of value on there. Maybe I'll become a Zootopia regular again.

Be More Like the Guys

2005 saw the members of U2 win Grammys, get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, be singled out by Amnesty International and TIME, amongst countless other honors. It's not just the music that keeps the guys' arms filled with awards, it's also the fact the members of U2 are great people, people worth looking up to.

This year I'd like to be a little more like the members of the band. I'd like to have more of Larry's unfaltering honesty. I'd like to have more of Adam's sense of self. I'd like to have more of Edge's dedication to perfection. I'd like to have more of Bono's compassion. All of that would add up to me being a much better person and could even give me a better new year.

Thank the Band

Because of U2 I've made friends, traveled, bonded with my brother, interviewed fascinating people and seen eight thrilling concerts. I briefly was able to express to Edge and Adam how great the Vertigo shows were but I don't feel that's enough. I'd like to let the band know how much it means to me, how the music makes me feel, how great it is to be part of such an amazing fan community, how I admire all them as role models, how incredible the shows are and how I can't wait for more.

Saying thank you is a big part of why I write for Interference.com and why I've wanted to meet all the band members so badly. Maybe this can be the year I can finally express to Bono, Edge Adam and Larry what they mean to me and why I love being a U2 fan now and always will.

Great job Devlin! :rockon: :applaud: Especially liked the "Be more like the guys" resolution. You got us thinking!!!

Devlin, wonderful resolutions! Your wishes WILL come true! And maybe you'll even travel to Hawaii(we once were another country you know!) for Larry's signature?
I feel the same way about thanking the band and would love to have the opportunity to do it in person. Maybe in April!
Keep writing so I can keep reading your spot-on comments (whether here or on U2.com!).
Fran

Back
Top Bottom