Review: U2 at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Nov. 28, 2005*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
By Mike Cranston

Montreal has made an impact on U2. Whether it was energy of Saturday, November 26th's show or intensity of Monday, November 28th's thrilling conclusion of the band's two-night stint, there was something undoubtedly different about this band. It probably most manifested itself during "City of Blinding Lights" on Monday—the band was in full force, yet Bono could barely even get out the first "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" due to his massive smirk. The band wanted to be in Montreal this weekend and it showed. Both shows saw incessant "thank yous" and Bono frequently spoke of his amazement. After "Where the Streets Have no Name" on Saturday, the entire band paused just to witness the appreciation of the Montreal crowd.

During "Vertigo" on Monday, Bono claimed it was impossible for a crowd to be so loud on a Monday. During "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" on Saturday, Bono changed the second verse to demonstrate his love for the Montreal crowd. Both nights in Montreal were loud, much louder than the band was used to. The entire arena was in jubilation and the band fed off the energy.

Now giving all the credit to U2 and Montreal would completely under appreciate local-band-done-good the Arcade Fire who opened both shows. This band was simply extravagant. It was beyond eccentric and musically explosive. On Saturday, the band took the stage to "Streets," a nod to U2's use of "Wake Up" at the beginning of each Vertigo tour show. On Monday, at the end of Arcade Fire's set while finishing "Rebellion (Lies)," the band curiously walked to the tip of the ellipse, and after a quick pause, jumped off the ellipse onto the floor. The Arcade Fire won the spirit of every individual in the Bell Centre and earned what so few opening bands ever can—the attention of its crowd. Not only did the band capture our attention, it managed to raise the excitement in the Bell Centre tenfold.

It was therefore no surprise that as "Wake Up" played on the P.A. right before U2 entered the stage, the crowd sang along to each word of the song in excitement. As per usual, "City of Blinding Lights" opened with Bono emerging at the tip of the ellipse. The entire floor was jumping waving their hands in coordination with Bono's vocals. The crowd sang, "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" louder than U2 could have ever fathomed. Both the band and the crowd were in complete amazement.

Monday's show saw a fairly typical main set. During "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," Bono paid homage to Montreal by speaking French and saying he wanted an apartment. The return of "Miracle Drug" was introduced by a brief speech by Bono saying Edge was from the future. According to the story, when Adam Clayton asked The Edge in 1978 what the future was like, The Edge responded by saying, "It's better." "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was unbelievably intense with the crowd screaming each lyric. It concluded with Bono bringing a young girl on stage singing "no more" after which the crowd quickly took over. "Streets," as with Saturday, rendered the loudest ovation known to man. Bono stood at the side of ellipse immediately after, mesmerized at the crowd. His speech during "One" urged Canadian citizens to press the federal government to increase foreign aid, and urged Canada to lead the way in the Make Poverty History campaign rather than be remembered as the country that ignored extreme poverty.

The encore began with two "Achtung Baby" tracks, "Until the End of the World" which ended with Bono chasing The Edge at full pace around the ellipse, and "Mysterious Ways," where Bono brought a girl on stage to dance. After "With or Without You" Bono thanked the Montreal crowd saying he would never forget the city. He also professed his gratitude towards the Arcade Fire for opening and said, "Now, we would like to invite them up on stage." Out of nowhere, every roadie brought out an extra eight microphones and new guitars. The Arcade Fire strutted out, took its instruments, and busted into "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.

The second encore began with technical difficulties. After a false start, Edge's guitar during "All Because of You" was far too loud and he spent a good portion of the song trying to adjust it. "Yahweh" was not sung at the tip of the ellipse as per usual, presumably due to sound problems. After a quick reminder from Bono of how amazing Montreal was, Larry's unmistakable drum began "40." The entire arena was standing and joined Bono in singing, "How long to sing this song?"

Montreal didn't disappoint this weekend. With scalpers asking $400 a ticket, the show was in high demand and every person at that show wanted to be there. Even in the upper bowl the fans were standing, the lower bowl was decorated with flashing lights that were given out by a radio station, and the floor was in a permanent phase of jumping. While the honor of U2's second home has always been given to Boston or New York City, after what could be two of the most exciting shows this tour, Montreal will certainly be in the running.

I almost wish I went to the Monday show instead of the Saturday show, haha. But I don't have any regrets! How could I have any?! It was the best night of my life.

It was incredible.. I couldn't make out any of what Bono was saying (except for his little edge from the future speech).. the crowd was possessed. Loudest of the 3 Montreal shows I've witnessed.

OMG OMG OMG!!!

**kinda late for the reply...oups..but still in the spirit!!!**

That was THE MOST AMAZING DAY OF MY LIFE!!!

First U2 show, went see them on monday and OMG...it was unbelievable!!!

I was completely going nuts!!! And was going even more when Bono ws looking at our side!!!

awww....will never forget that show!!!

Cathxxx:wink:

Back
Top Bottom