Review : Book : 'U2: The Best of Propaganda' *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/propagandathumb.gif[/SIMG]
Reviewed by Devlin Smith

Publisher: Carlton Books

When I was a kid first getting into music and starting to have tapes of my own, I always wanted to join a fan club. I?d see the little notice telling interested parties to write away to such-and-such PO Box in North Hollywood, California, for entry into the glamorous and exciting world of the truly dedicated fan.

Sadly, though, aside from co-joining the NKOTB fan club with my brother, I never did send my SASE to that PO Box. Thing like that cost money, money that I did not have, and I had more than a little trouble convincing my mom to write the $15 or $25 check so I could get some button, form letter or whatever from George Michael or Nelson or Motley Crue.

As an adult, one with a decent paying job and my own bank account, I finally did it, I officially joined two fan clubs, U2?s and Madonna?s, entitling me not only entr?e into that mystical fan club world I?d dreamt so much about as a kid - the one with backstage passes, front row concert seats and handwritten letters from your favorite acts - but also entitled me to subscriptions to their respective fanzines, Propaganda and Icon.

propagandabook.gif

In the case of Propaganda, though, I had acted a little too late. As my first issue was making that voyage from Dublin (or wherever it is that Props come from) to my mailbox here in Southern California, word came down that U2 was ceasing production on the fan magazine, deciding to switch focus to the Web a little more than 20 years after the first official U2 fanzine hit the streets.

Of course I was sad, and still am really, but to somehow ease my pain and slow the onset of insanity after repeatedly lamenting, ?Why oh why did I wait this long to join?? U2 has released a beautiful anthology bringing together the samplings of every issue of the World Service magazine. ?U2: The Best of Propaganda? is like a yearbook, filled with pictures and stories, tidbits and recollections on so many things the band has seen, done, experienced, envisioned and been associated with since 1981. It is dizzying and fantastic.

As someone who?s only once encountered volume one, issue one of U2 Magazine (an acquaintance still has hers, lucky thing!), seeing the covers and excerpts from these early magazines is sweet, cute, really showing how much progress not only U2 has made but also this fan world in general. The original issues were typed on a typewriter with Xeroxed images pasted in, all presented in a nice full-sheet stapled down the middle package, a far cry from what we can easily whip up today with the help of Quark or any Web-publishing programs.

The magazine, like the band, evolved and became more sophisticated. Gone were the fuzzy black and white copied pictures, now it was full-color. Subscribers got backstage access to Live Aid and the Conspiracy of Hope tour. They went on tour and in studio with U2, following the band from ?Unforgettable Fire? to ?The Joshua Tree,? ?Rattle & Hum,? and soon ?Achtung Baby,? ?Zooropa,? ?Passengers,? ?Pop? and ?All That You Can?t Leave Behind.? In between there were Q&As with all the band members (yes, even Larry and Adam got their voices heard in Propaganda), producers, photographers, crew members, collaborators and other associates. Pretty much the world of U2 condensed onto paper and slid into your mailbox - astounding.

But not only did the magazine become more sophisticated, like U2 itself Propaganda became bigger as time went on. Gone were handwritten notes from the band and listings of fans looking for pen pals, with U2?s audience expanding Propaganda had to adjust and some of that personal touch was lost.

Having this opportunity to look back on U2 through the pages of Propaganda is both fantastic and sad. A quote from Bono in an early issue of the magazine states that U2 was the biggest cult band in the world, how times have changed! This book is a perfect example of that double-edged sword of liking a really popular band, sure it?s easier to find albums, see the band on TV, hear your favorite songs on the radio, but the distance between fan and band continually grows. If you?re a dedicated fan of a cult band, you know those band members are hanging out on the Web boards and writing e-mails and contributing to the fanzine and hanging out after shows to meet their fans. With a band the size of U2, though, that kind of stuff just isn?t possible anymore.

For those of us who never experienced U2 on the fringe, a band ready to break at any moment, and for those who did, ?U2: The Best of Propaganda? is that yearbook, that opportunity to experience or relive the fashion and the hair, the triumphs and milestones, the big plans and the even bigger follow-through. So while I wasn?t able to be there, at least now I can say I read the book.

Last edited:
I JUST got it today! VERY nice...

although I'm left wondering... how come the zine (propaganda) never sent out anything announcing or offering the book to subscribers...? odd.

What a racket. Where's my refund for the 3 issues of the now defunct magazine that I won't be receiving? No way will I spend money on that book.

i saw the book yesterday at barnes n nobles , and i didnt have any money with me. i was so upset. i sat down on one of the big chairs there and thumbed through the entire thing. lets just say it is well worth the $27.

RickFly said:
i saw the book yesterday at barnes n nobles , and i didnt have any money with me. i was so upset. i sat down on one of the big chairs there and thumbed through the entire thing. lets just say it is well worth the $27.

Then I should get it for $12 since that is what I'm owed in either magazines or a refund.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I saw it yesterday while Christmas shopping, I resisted the urge to flip through it. :angel:

You are way stronger than I would have been. I hope my mom can deal with obtaining it on her own i gave her the ISBN number.

RickFly said:
i saw the book yesterday at barnes n nobles , and i didnt have any money with me. i was so upset.

Aw. :(.

Hopefully you can get it soon.

Originally posted by RickFly
i sat down on one of the big chairs there and thumbed through the entire thing. lets just say it is well worth the $27.

It certainly is. I got it just last night, and it's very interesting so far.

Angela

I paid for a membership too, and never got a book, however i did get two GA seats for 45 each so I'm not complaining!

The book is on my Christmas list and I think my brother is getting it for me.
Yay!

I have this book waiting for me at home along with the Live Concert Documentary book :hyper: I cant wait to dive into reading those books

Great book, shame that i was ripped off with my subscription to the magazines, two years running i got one less issue than i should have:-(
thoroughly recommend the book though.

Back
Top Bottom