Review: Book: U2 Faraway So Close*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/staybookthumb.gif[/SIMG]
By Carrie Alison
Chief Editor

Author: BP Fallon
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

BP Fallon?s fantastic and visually intimate book on touring with U2 does not have the origin you?d expect. It has a better one. During a Christmas holiday in Ireland in the early '90s, Fallon found himself in the U2 studios as a social fly-on-the-wall when he was approached by Bono to design the tour program for ZooTV. Some weeks later, the writing assignment became a full-fledged tour DJ gig ? later described by fashion bible Vogue as ?foreplay.? Fallon forthwith assumed his old nickname from Marc Bolan - ?King Boogaloo,? - and Bono became ?Mr. Bongo.?

That Fallon was hired to do these jobs is no surprise given his credentials. Former publicity handler for '70s golden arena rock gods Led Zeppelin, and 20th Century Boy, T. Rex, rock journalist Fallon seamlessly fit right in to the whirling and smirking dervish that was the ZooTV world tour. It was only later on a plane high above the radio waves somewhere that U2 manager Paul McGuinness and the band suggested to ?Beep? (as Fallon was known) that he should pen a book on his adventures with U2.

?U2 Faraway So Close? is at once at tour program and a backstage pass. Fallon captures bad days for Bono, the ?One? video filming in Times Square, U2 management and tour personnel kicking back and hard at work (often at the same time!), the introduction of both ?Mysterious Ways? belly dancers (one of whom would later become Mrs. The Edge), dubbing for ?Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me,? Sinead O?Connor and Bono making amends, the debut of MacPhisto, and Adam?s dark days in Australia. Fallon invites the reader to meet ?Bono the shaker of spells, Edge the dazzled mystic, Adam the roots man mon, [and] Larry the backbeat.?

bpfu2book.gif

(Image courtesy of BP Fallon)

While other books on U2 have provided a behind-the-scenes glimpse of all things a fan would want to know and later memorize, Fallon?s knack for taking pictures that convey friendship, brotherhood, elation, exhaustion and frustration is the true star of this book; more so than any one-off interview with band members could express. Through these pictures, you witness the traveling community of U2, their [management and touring] personnel, and how the crew is just as important as the band they are supporting. The intrinsic, melodic dynamic of life in the fast lane at many altitudes, and in every language is all here. In one notable photograph, McGuinness is shown wearing Bono?s patented ?Fly Shades? with a peace sign, and claiming ?I?m the only person on this tour who can bloody well spell!?

And then there are the four men of U2. Adam Clayton, famously dons a sarong while holding a mixed drink, and with Fallon along for the ride, looks for fun in St. Petersburg, Florida. Clayton is a pal who likes to hang out and listen to music, and if ever pressed to tell a Martian his job description, he would say ?I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates.?

Bono is as passionate and colorful and moody as fans would hope to see. His driving is ?freeform,? he skinny dips, graciously speaks with admirers (and there are many), goes to McDonald?s, emotes, sings, shimmies in gold lame? and speaks lovingly of his wife, Alison Hewson.

Larry Mullen, Jr. is fiercely private and does not enjoy having his picture taken, as he tells Fallon in Florida. He loves country music, leather, Harley Davidson and most of all, U2. In his non-performing hours Mullen oversees U2?s merchandising operations, and thusly it is not surprising to learn that he has filled several vaults back home in Ireland of U2 memorabilia alone (much of which would help build the 2003 U2 exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum under the tutelage of Curator Jim Henke).

The Edge is a sublimely Zen-like creature--always on the outer zone of his mind and his surroundings, always trying to find a little peace. Fallon and Edge even manage to find a Zen garden in Atlanta?s trendy Little 5 Points section after a day of shopping. Ever the gentleman, Edge allows a few lucky fans to join the guitarist?s respite.

U2 fans couldn?t have asked for a more personal and satisfying peak at what it?s like to be with the band 24 hours a day had U2 written the book themselves. Fallon?s journalistic pedigree and sparkling wit mixed with his no-holds-barred musings and observations on life in the Zoo make for unforgettable, can?t-miss reading. His conversational tone calmly whispers in your ear as if you are friends and part of he and the band?s inside jokes and entourage. ?U2 Faraway So Close? (currently out of print) is one Zoo to visit time and time again--the gang?s all here.

To find out more on BP Fallon, visit his official website: http://www.bpfallon.com/

To read Interference.com?s exclusive interview with BP Fallon, visit:
http://www.interference.com/stories/id82803.html

Last edited by a moderator:
:up:

I just bought this one last Saturday in a bookshop (not secondhand, but it was in the section of 'old' books).

:)

Hmm...so is this a better book than the famous U2 at the end of the world by Bill Flanagan?

I've just started reading it, so I cannot say too much about it. I think that At The End Of The World is a better book because that one tells the story of U2 (mainly of their ZooTV phase, but with lots of background information). This book, Faraway So Close, is more like a scrapbook. It's not chronological, but deals with certain points in time, often using 2 opposite pages for the story plus photographs. Faraway So Close has a lot of photographs, plus it's been designed by Four5One (the design company that mainly works for U2).

The books are just too different to compare really.

C ya!

Marty

I found this book on clearance for $4.95 two years ago. I love it! It's alot different than U2 At the End of the World. It's more of a drugged-out, foggy point of view. (There's a tribute in it to the guy who used to sell Beep marijuana!)

Thanks Carrie. Great review, really captures the spirit of the book.

I'm lucky enough to have a co-worker who scours used bookstores and that's how I ended up with my copy. Definitely worth picking up for the pictures alone -- it's a great 'snapshot' of U2 at that point in time.

U2girl said:
Hmm...so is this a better book than the famous U2 at the end of the world by Bill Flanagan?

I had never heard of either of the books until a few years ago and I happen to buy find them both at a used book store the same day. I thought BP's book was a really good companion to the Flanagan book because of all of the pictures in the book. Occassionally I was able to find the same incident being discussed by both authors and it was cool to have a visual guide. BP's book doesn't go into as much detail like the other book but I think the pictures speak for themselves a lot of the time. I did enjoy BP's style. I thought it was a fun book and I've read it a few times since I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom