Tribute Band Interview: The Joshua Tree*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632jtband_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

For those few thousand fans lucky enough to catch U2's Vertigo opening in San Diego in March, you probably also heard, or at least heard of, The Joshua Tree. The LA-based tribute band played two shows in conjunction with the tour's launch, including several hours performing at the Tower Records store across the street from the San Diego Sports Arena, in direct earshot of many of the fan tailgating and generally chilling in the arena parking lot.

The band also played a pre-Vertigo show in San Jose, California, in April and was one of the tribute bands playing at the first Southern California fan convention last fall, each performance bringing the band new enthusiastic fans. Fever has grown so strong for The Joshua Tree—featuring Jason (Bono B. Jones), Chas (Chedge), Mike (Lars Mullen Jr.) and Ron (Posh)--that it even has its own fan club.

The Joshua Tree is finishing off its summer playing four nights at the LA County Fair in Pomona and surely more Vertigo-related dates are in the offing as the tour makes its way to the states.

Interference.com exchanged questions and answers with the man who calls himself Chedge on stage and learned all about this up-and-coming U2 tribute band.

When was the band officially formed?

We began rehearsing as a U2 tribute in the summer of 2003 and with the addition of Mike our drummer in January of '04, The Joshua Tree was up and running.

How did the band come together?

It really started when Jason first auditioned for the original band that Ron and I were playing in. At that first audition, we ran through a number of U2 songs and were impressed with Jason's vocals, not to mention his uncanny ability to sound like Bono. With Jason on board, we spent the next year-and-a-half writing and performing originals, while mixing in the occasional U2 tune. In the summer of 2003, based on the response to our U2 covers and our own enthusiasm for U2, we decided to become a U2 tribute band.

How did you come up with the name The Joshua Tree?

We originally were calling ourselves One Tree Hill and then that WB show came out. We switched for an afternoon to Electric Co. After much debate, we decided on The Joshua Tree as a name that not only was clear as to what we were doing as a tribute band, but was also the album that specifically made us, at least Jason and I, big U2 fans.

What was your first memory of U2?

Being at my friend Jon's house in 1985 and seeing two tickets for a concert at the LA Sports Arena for a band called U2 and asking him about it.

When and how did you first consider yourself a fan?

I became a fan in 1986 when I started to listen to more of the band and also started learning to play guitar. I spent many fruitless hours at home in my room trying to figure out what it was that Edge was doing.

When did you first think about playing U2 songs?

Playing U2 songs has been a part of my repertoire as a guitar player since I first started learning. Every band I've played in has had to cover at least one U2 song at some point because of me. In the band with Jason and Ron it was much easier because we all wanted to do it.

11632jtband.jpg

What is your favorite U2 song to perform and why? Is that also your favorite U2 song in general? If not, what is your favorite U2 song and why?

Favorite to perform would be "Until the End of the World." As a band, we do the Elevation Tour version that culminates in the bullfight between Bono and Edge, always a high point in our show. I also love to perform "All I Want Is You" for personal reasons.

Favorite U2 song in general would be "Bad," that's the first song I heard from U2 that made me stop what I was doing and just listen.

What is your favorite U2 era to perform and why?

I enjoy performing the older U2 from "Boy" to "Joshua Tree." As a tribute band, we're able to perform songs at our shows that the real U2 has not performed live in years. As for wardrobe, I like the new look, including my “Spectacular Times” shirt like you can see Edge wearing on the new album cover. I'm also looking forward to adding the ZooTV and PopMart wardrobes, including a “Mr. The [Ch]edge” shirt like Edge's from the PopMart Tour.

What originally drew you to the U2 member you perform as?

The fact that my number-one influence as a guitar player has been The Edge.

What's the best and most challenging parts of performing as that U2-er?

Achieving the guitar tone and extreme sounds Edge is known for, without having 37 guitars, a NASA-like rack system and Dallas Schoo. Also, the inability to grow a good goatee.

What are your favorite things about that band member?

I love the fact that Edge always seems like he's in control. I also enjoy watching when, on some of my bootleg DVDs, Edge gets pissed off at Adam when he's making mistakes.

What kind of reaction do you get from fans?

"We love you Chedge" as screamed by the "Chedge Girls," my very small personal fan club.

What's your favorite performing memory?

Performing at the Hard Rock Café in San Diego the night before the opening of the Vertigo Tour. We helped raise $3,500 for African Well Fund and had the privilege of performing for people from all over the world who came to San Diego for U2's opening night. It was a great night for the band, and it raised money for a worthy cause.

Have you ever met a member of U2? If yes, what happened? What did you say? Did they know you were in a tribute band? If so, what was their reaction?

I saw the band when they arrived for the LA Coliseum show in 1987 but did not have the opportunity to meet them.

If you haven't met anyone in the band, what would you like to say to any of them if you had the chance?

If I could speak with them, I'd probably just geek out on guitar stuff with Edge.

What's the best thing about being in a U2 tribute band?

The people I've met who've become like family. You'll hear me talk often about “The JT Family,” these are the close supporters and friends who we've made that I believe will be in my life long after I'm done being Chedge.

For more information on The Joshua Tree, check out the band's website.

Last edited:
The Joshua Tree

Wow! What a HUGE surprise as I sit down to my daily routine at work....lunch and sign on to Interference! Here I find a feature of The Joshua Tree! Thanks for this feature. Folks, these guys are awesome if you haven't yet caught one of their shows out and about Southern California......not only is each band member a huge U2 fan, but they raise the bar to performing and portraying to the tee their U2 nemesis and their sound is unbelievable, especially Bono B Jones! When I hear U2 now, I close my eyes and I hear Jason aka Bono B Jones singing, not Bono. Jason, Ron, Chas and Mike have fun playing and interacting onstage...their shows are very similar to feeling that magic that the boys in U2 also have when performing. They are great friends on and off stage, a truly great bunch of guys. If you haven't had the opportunity to check them out check their website, get on their mailing list and do so......you WON'T be disappointed! What I believe sets JT aside from other U2 tribute bands is the fact that this group supports many community and world causes and they have donated their time and talent at a number of fund raising events this past year and will continue to do so on a regular basis. It's in their hearts and souls, which is what also makes them so close, or like the song, sometimes Even Better than the Real Thing!

Keep up the good work, guys!
Karen

www.U2JT.com

WOW! JT on the front page of Interference!!! :applaud: :rockon:

What are your favorite things about that band member?

I love the fact that Edge always seems like he's in control. I also enjoy watching when, on some of my bootleg DVDs, Edge gets pissed off at Adam when he's making mistakes.

:lmao:

What kind of reaction do you get from fans?

"We love you Chedge" as screamed by the "Chedge Girls," my very small personal fan club.

I'll have to admit that Chas swooned me back in March and turned me into a "Chedge girl." Don't worry BBJ, you're still my favorite :sexywink: I'll always be a Bono girl.

What's the best thing about being in a U2 tribute band?

The people I've met who've become like family. You'll hear me talk often about “The JT Family,” these are the close supporters and friends who we've made that I believe will be in my life long after I'm done being Chedge.

Aaaawwww...HOW SWEET! I love you too Chas! Actually I love all the members of JT!

I MISS YOU GUYS AND THE JT FAMILY SO MUCH!

:hug:

And to the rest of y'all out there that live in the Southern California area...GO SEE THIS BAND! Trust me! They are worth every drop of gasoline to go out and see. I bought two plane tickets to Cali earlier this year from Dallas to see JT two more times after I saw them at the U2 Fan Convention in Ontario, California.

THEY'RE THAT GOOD!

I swear your jaw will drop to the floor after the first few seconds of them performing...I'LL GUARANTEE IT!!!!!

marietta said:
Wow, I can't wait to see these boys in the land of sin & decadence.....I keep hearing unbelievable reviews!
May I "borrow" this interview to add to the entertainment part of my vegas party site??

I don't think it would be a problem as long as you give credit to the author and that it came from Interference.com.

marietta said:
Wow, I can't wait to see these boys in the land of sin & decadence.....I keep hearing unbelievable reviews!
May I "borrow" this interview to add to the entertainment part of my vegas party site??

You can post this story on your site as long as it is sourced back to Interference.com.

Back
Top Bottom