The Bravery's Endicott Talks U2 Stint and Bono's Note of Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265bravery-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

Its been a relatively quick ride to the majors for The Bravery. Forming in 2003 and plotting its world takeover ever since, the New York City-based electro-rockers already have a big hit song under its fashionable belt with radio staple "An Honest Mistake," a song featured on "The OC," and had a chance to introduce itself to U2's massive worldwide audience in Europe this summer on the Vertigo Tour.

Looking straight out of early ‘80s punk and goth nightlife, The Bravery is named after what lead singer Sam Endicott attributes to, "The mindset I was in when I was writing the songs" and, "… with living in New York in this really weird time. People are constantly waiting for something bad to happen," as he told to LAUNCH.

The Bravery's self-titled debut album, released in March 2005 on Island Def Jam, has been a fast seller and staple on alternative radio with "An Honest Mistake," "Fearless" and new single "Unconditional." The band will spend the winter as an opening act for Depeche Mode's North American tour.

11265bravery.jpg

During a break in an exhaustive touring schedule that took The Bravery everywhere imaginable this summer—jaunts to Europe and back, and then off to Asia and Australia in August—Endicott took time out for Interference.com to discuss that cover of "An Cat Dubh," opening for U2 and what's next.

What's the story behind the cover of "An Cat Dubh"? Was U2's early sound an influence on the band or is it simply a personal favorite?

When I was in junior high some cool older kids told me to check out early U2. At first, the first couple albums were too weird for me but over time I fell in love with them and I think they're still my favorite in a way. "An Cat Dubh" has always been one of my favorites and it's strange because it's often overlooked, even a lot of U2 fans don't really know it, so I thought it would be a good one to take and just try it in a completely different way.

Any other U2 songs you'd like to re-imagine or cover?

Nothing in the works at the moment, but you never know. Though it's funny, we're talking about doing a cover of Lou Reed's "Satellite of Love," which it turns out U2 does a cover of as well on one of their singles from the '90s.

What was it like opening up for U2? Any anecdotes you wish to share about this experience?

It was a pretty amazing experience. After we played Bono left us this really nice note, complementing us, and then at the end he wrote, "If you ever need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask Edge, Larry or Adam." We thought that was funny.

"An Honest Mistake" and now "Fearless" are bonafied hits on radio and the video channels. Does it get any better? Where else does The Bravery to go from here? What's next?

As far as we're concerned we're just getting started. We wanna see the world. We wanna get our music out to as many people as we can.

For more on The Bravery visit the official website.

Many thanks to Rachel for her help with this article.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
After we played Bono left us this really nice note, complementing us, and then at the end he wrote, "If you ever need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask Edge, Larry or Adam." We thought that was funny.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom