The Legend of U2’s ‘Acrobat’*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Conor FitzPatrick

Legends are made through the art of storytelling. Through the written and spoken word, the slightly more than ordinary becomes the unbelievably extraordinary. John F. Kennedy left a legacy and a legend. Led Zeppelin’s entire career is a legend. Bob Marley made an album called “Legend.” And U2’s “Acrobat” is, in my opinion, the epitome of a (U2) legend.

In 1990 and 1991, U2 needed a new direction. They were holed up in Berlin’s historic Hansa Studios, where David Bowie had solidified his fame with a little song called “Heroes.” After weeks of argument and indecision, the band was brought back together as a cohesive unit with the creation of “One,” one of the most recognizable songs of the 90s.

Depending on which U2 fanatic you speak with, the greatest album of all time is either “Achtung Baby” or “The Joshua Tree,” although a few oddballs will claim that “The Unforgettable Fire” or “Pop” are better, but they are merely living in denial. For those who choose the former, their explanation usually breaks down the brilliance of songs like “One,” “Until the End of the World,” “The Fly,” “Mysterious Ways,” and really every track on the album. Most often, these explanations are more than justified.

“Acrobat” separates the men from the boys, the disciples from the mere so-called devotees. It is a musical masterpiece that begins U2’s message of “dreaming out loud,” which is continued on the title track of 1993’s “Zooropa.” It has a slow buildup as well as an earth-shattering and characteristically short solo by The Edge, and is the emotional climax of an album that redefined what many called “the band of the 80s.”

What makes “Acrobat” a legend, though, is that U2 has never played it live in concert. Not on the enigmatic Zoo TV tour, not on the blockbuster Vertigo tour, not ever.

This practice was not an entirely new one for U2. “Drowning Man,” a lovely ballad off of 1983’s “War,” and 1987’s “Red Hill Mining Town” from “The Joshua Tree” were never played live either. The former was a song driven by the Edge’s acoustic guitar work and the violin of someone who is now just a footnote in U2’s extensive history. It probably would not have sounded great live, and would have required an extra paycheck for the violin player needed to play that one song. “Red Hill Mining Town” was never played live due to its difficult vocals and the fact that three guitars were needed to do it justice. U2 is primarily a one-guitar band; even though Bono sometimes chooses to hold a second guitar (he may or may not be playing it).

As to why “Acrobat” has never had its big live debut, we may never know the full truth. There really isn’t a clear reason. It has guitar, bass, drums and vocals. It wouldn’t be terribly difficult to perform live for an experimental band like U2.

My suspicion is that U2 doesn’t care about the legend of “Acrobat.” In fact, they probably aren’t entirely aware of it. This is a band that, as demonstrated by their change in direction with “Achtung Baby,” does not dwell on the past. When Bono says that he forgets the lyrics to certain songs, it isn’t because he has no desire to sing them. It’s because he actually doesn’t remember the lyrics. “Acrobat” was important to U2 in 1991 when it was recorded, yet it wasn’t even a single. Hence there would be no significant reason to play it now.

Live is where U2 lives, but certain songs are better left in the studio. For reasons unknown, “Acrobat” will always be one of these songs. It will always be a legend.

Didn't Bono mention once that he and the Edge would have to "meditate in a tree" in order to be able to pull this song off live?

I hear that they talked about it quite a bit in U2 by U2.

I'll tell you when I get it for Christmas. :drool:

Next time try not to diss "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Pop"...what you and alot of other people tend to ignore is that although the albums may not be up to par with "Achtung Baby" and "The Joshua Tree" there are songs on both these albums that are far better than the majority of songs on these two fan favorites...for example "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Bad" are two songs that are far better than most of Achtung Baby (not all...but most) and songs like "Gone" "Please" and "Wake Up Dead Man" hold thier own up against both the classics.

Harry-
My original draft included a footnote that stated I am occasionally one of those oddballs who loves Pop or The UF. That footnote was omitted in the editing process, it seems. Like many U2 fanatics, I go through phases of which album I find to be the best.
It just seems that Achtung and JT stand the test of time with diehard u2 fans as well as casual fans of rock/pop music.

To everyone: I welcome your criticism as well as your praise. I value the opinions of anyone who takes the time to respond, especially on a forum such as this one.

Thanks,
Conor

I've always felt that Acrobat was written in reaction to the backlash U2 received around the time they released the movie Rattle and Hum. I've always felt the line: "And don't let the bastards grind you down" was directed at those critics. :mad:

How great it would have been to hear it during that monstrosity of a tour that is ZooTV... :drool: :drool:

that's an interesting point of view and I agree with you.
In a certain way, I am happy this song is not played live because Acrobat has something to do with a solitary room, a closed door and a single listener paying attention to every shade of music.

Conor,

Love your style.
I claim myself a disciple although I favor UF over JT and AB.

Can we still be friends?

I think the reason Bono chose to never sing Red Hill and Acrobat live is that his vocals can't handle it.

Us 40 year old men can't do the some of the same stunts that we were able to perform in our youth.

Affectionately,

diamondbruno9
:hug:

To tell you the truth, I don't want it played now because I don't believe it would fit in with this U2.

Acrobat is a very Achtung-Zoo TV era song. It's dark, it has to do with the breakdown of a relationship, and it is possibly the most bitter song these boys have ever written.

And in the midst of the paranoid feel of the Zoo TV tour, it would work. But next to Window In The Skies and Beautiful Day? It wouldn't fit the mood of the current U2 shows.

This isn't an indictment of "new" U2. I loved the Vertigo Tour. But unless their new album is a breakup album (unlikely considering they've done it already and they're in their 40s and committed relationships), I don't expect to see Acrobat live.

Well said. Whenever people ask what my favorite U2 songs are, Acrobat is always mentioned. It's a brilliant song and probably among my top 7 or 8 U2 songs. They do, by the way, talk about it in U2BYU2.

Does anyone remember what Bono mentioned as his most soul-baring song? I recall it either being Acrobat or Gone...

Regardless, I wanted to shout out to the lyrics in Acrobat. They're amazing.

One of the biggest injustices U2 did to their fans was to never played this amazing masterpiece, one of the best songs ever, live. It would for sure sound fantastic, just like the other hidden gems from Achtung Baby like Ultra Violet and Love is Blindness did.

If i ever meet Bono or Edge or anyone from the band, the first question will be:

"Why don´t you play Acrobat live?"

Mark my words.

What abour "Love Comes Tumbling" which has never been played live either !

^^^^

Heheh. Well, maybe not a weak song, then... it's a U2 song, and I listen to it all the time, etc., but it's not a great song. Doesn't really deserve to be played live. As Edge always says, "a great U2 song is one that works well live."

They've played it live

U2 played Acrobat live on their ZooTV tour. I have a recording of it. Why haven't they played Electrical Storm live?

Re: They've played it live

laser said:
U2 played Acrobat live on their ZooTV tour. I have a recording of it. Why haven't they played Electrical Storm live?

Acrobat was played in Hershey, PA when the band was rehearsing for the tour. It was a slightly incomplete, acoustic version that led into Zoo Station. I have the same recording.
So yes, there are a handful of people who witnessed the band playing Acrobat, once, during a rehearsal. That's not quite the same as a live performance.
As for Electrical Storm, I'd love to hear that live as well. It's the only single that U2 hasn't played live.

Electrical Storm

Why haven't they played Electrical Storm live? Sure it's got more than one guitar but why can't they do what they usually do and get Bono to pretend to play one guitar part.

although a few oddballs will claim that “The Unforgettable Fire” or “Pop” are better, but they are merely living in denial.

fuckingLOLORZ

Re: Re: The Legend of U2’s ‘Acrobat’*

gareth brown said:

fuckingLOLORZ

gareth brown:
If you had bothered to read this whole thread, you would have noticed that I said the following:

"My original draft included a footnote that stated I am occasionally one of those oddballs who loves Pop or The UF. That footnote was omitted in the editing process, it seems."
I LOVE POP.
It is U2 at their ballsiest. Please is in my top 10 alltime u2 songs. Mofo is from another friggin' planet. It's a fantastic album
I LOVE THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE.
Bad is probably my favorite song of all time. I'd like it played at my wedding and my funeral. I love every song on this album. I skip none of it.
However, when you combine the love that Achtung Baby gets worldwide from fanatics and casual listeners, and look at the album sales and the ZOO TV tour, it is the u2 album most often viewed as the best.

I am a novice at responding to "threads" but I would like to add my two cents! Acrobat reminds me of the one great rock song that all U2 albums have in common. It is the hidden gem. It reminds me of "Crumbs", "Wild Honey", "Gone", "Acrobat","The First Time", "Silver and Gold", "One Tree Hill", "Sort of A Home coming", "Drowning Man". These songs are the glue to the albums and add so much to the greatness of the albums!

Speaking of the U2 albums that still hold up well, War still has such a great sound to it.

As someone else commented, they did rehearse it while they were in Hershey PA rehearsing for the Zoo TV tour. I heard them rehearse it twice while standing on the sidestreet next to the arena. WE could hear everythign as though it was a real concert (I got the opportunity to be front row at the end-of-the-week "rehearsal" concert they put on for $15 to thank Hershey). Acrobat sound great, as I remember; can't understand why they didn't play it. It didn't seem to sound problematic, though my recollection would be that they didn't practice it straight through from start to finish. But I did hear them set into at least twice, in between innumerable attempts to get the start of Zoo Station right.

Back
Top Bottom