What is XML/RSS (the little blue or orange buttons)? RSS Guide for Beginners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, this is seriously the stupidest thing anyone has ever asked I'm sure but WHY would I want to do this? I think I'm missing the entire point here.

:reject:

I think I'm giving up on this. I'v downloaded the framework (hour and a half later...) and everything. But now when I try to add new subscriptions to either Interference, or elsewhere even, I get a pop up box that says "cannot read content from specified address. Operation has timed out." :mad:

argh...

[edit/update]

part 2: I D/L'd the application from the link above, which worked fine, but when i tried to install it this time around, I get this message: " Setup cannot access window installer components. Setup cannot continue."

WTF.

Help, part 2.

-------

OK...my Win updates are updated, but I CANNOT for the life of me download .Net Framework - it craps out and fails to install, but doesn't give me a reason why, just says "failed to install." I've checked my PC, I don't have it already installed, and I've searched Microsoft for answers as to why it won't install.

So then when I try to install BlogExpress it says it won't install without .Net Framework. :mad:

HELP.

Elvis said:
If you keep on top of your 'Windows Updates', you'd have .NET already.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Last edited:
I can't open any of the links posted here or in FYM. Why? Oh and the smilies won't work for me either. Just tried to use the sad smilie and my cursor changed. Is this related in any way or should I post this as a separate question/thread?

Did you change anyting on your computer or install anything? Nothing with Interference has changed.

Yeah, lighting hit my apartment last week and fried my modem. I now have Windows 2000 which is going to be great and faster - once I get finished trouble shooting and get it set up correctly.
It's not interference, it's me. Thank's anyway Elvis.

Cleasai said:
But now when I try to add new subscriptions to either Interference, or elsewhere even, I get a pop up box that says "cannot read content from specified address. Operation has timed out." :mad:

If anyone else is experiencing this problem, I just got a response from tech support. This is what they had to say...

Hello,

We are working on a new version of BlogExpress. A number of bugs will be fixed including proxy setting bugs that cause the subscription problem. The new version will be available soon.

Regards,
Support@UsableLabs.com

Hey all, listen up - found a very cool browser app called "Deepnet Explorer": http://www.deepnetexplorer.com/

Very similar to IE, but it has more good stuff:

Deepnet Explorer is the world?s first browser to offer fully integrated P2P file sharing capabilities and a built-in RSS/ATOM news reader. With features like tabbed browsing, pop blocking, auto login, form filler and P2P technology, Deepnet Explorer is the quick and easy way to browse the web, share files and read news simultaneously!

I don't think you need to download the Net.Framework thing with this, at least I didn't and it works just fine!

Of course I immediately linked to U2 news. :D

I give it :up: :up: !

Also if anyone uses the Opera web browser, it has RSS support built-in, at least in the latest versions. It's fairly basic, but it works well for me. If you click any XML or RSS icon in Opera it should add the newsfeed to Opera automatically, and it'll even pop-up a little message in the lower left hand corner every time there are updates.

Only downside is that Opera is shareware/adware so if you want to get rid of the ad, you have to pay.

martha said:
I still don't know what the hell they're all about. :reject:

:lol: It's okay :hug: They aren't anything too spectacular anyway. It's a way to get news and stuff sent to you. Like, I have CNN's and BBC's feeds in my Apple Mail account.

I have to say though, the whole orange on blue thing doesn't work for me...

RSS for news-reading? Excellent.
RSS for forum-reading? :(

Interference is about as Web 2.0 as a seal clubbing. If we have RSS buttons we're gonna need to get some 24pt font and drop shadows in here, stat.

740541305f6c6b17afeqs5.jpg

Last edited:
Elvis said:

What orange on blue? ;)

j/k. I agree... so I changed them to blue.

Cool, that's way better. Is there anyway to make the little bar things be dark blue like the font and have the background blend in with the lighter blue? I think that would make them perfect. :)

martha said:
They're still orange for me. :eyebrow:

:hmm: They were for me too when I read Elvis' message, but then I refreshed the page, and they went blue...I think he's trying to mess with your mind. :ohmy:

RSS syndication is kind of useless for forums, TBH. Half the fun is browsing, and the way topics are laid out on a page it's basically an RSS reader already.

Much more applicable to pulling content from various news and blog websites together in one place.

EDIT: Also, Google Reader for the motherfucking win, motherfuckers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom