Trouble with the forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wouldn't say i get it ridiculously often, but i do see it once a day...usually after i've made a huge post. :grumpy:

but i've seen others (aussies and kiwis) mentioning that too. i can't imagine there's tonnes of people online right now!

I shouldn't have said anything. First the maintenance thing for about fifteen minutes, and just now the site came back after five minutes of "page cannot be found". :doh:

I get them daily too, including that one at the same time coolian just did a couple hours ago. But they usually go away within a couple minutes.

Every Friday morning (New York time) we perform some scheduled maintenance. Part of this maintenance is to repair/optimize the database which is kind of similar to defragging your hard drive. To do this we need to close the site. While the site is down we also run various other functions related to our backups. A message is posted when this is being done and the page should look similar to our current "blue crack" design.

Regarding the other server issues, the week before last we had various reports. Jeff, our server admin, was out enjoying their new baby girl that was born. He got back to work last week and It's my understanding he reset all the servers and we should be good to go now.

I'm still getting the server busy message every morning at 1AM EST... should be an indication for me to pack it in for the night! Which I will now! Though I'll say this interruption was shorter than the previous ones, putting some positive spin on the situation.

i know this is too much to ask, but is there any way of maybe having this so called scheduled maintenance not happen during u2 concerts at the moment?

i think i'd have more luck calling bono and asking them to delay the start of their show...

yeah, i mean it's definitely not friday in any part of the world. :lol: if it's gotta be done i'd rather that than hours of downtime if the server crashes or something, but better communication would be nice. just something like a stuck thread saying when this scheduled maintenance happens would be appreciated. :)

Each night we backup the database and files of the community. During this backup the server loads increase. This backup is taking place at night around the same time as the reported error messages. I have increased the limit on when the server busy message will show up in hopes that the site will still run while the backups are taking place in the background. We will review the backups and make sure they are complete and if for some reason we need to throttle resources for a few minutes each night to make sure backups are working then we will have to lower the limit again.

one post says each night, one says every friday. shall i assume that by what happens on my computer it's a mix of both? not every day, but not only friday.

is it at all possible that it could be standardised and advised on the forums?

I guess I'm one of few that has rarely if ever, seen an error message.

the Mobile Apps link does not work
there is an extra h is in the link url:

hhttp://www.u2interference.com/forums/cmps_index.php?page=mobile

So I'm looking at the times in the link above and it doesnt look like it was down for more than a couple minutes? Is it really that big of a deal?

maybe it's just me, i think it's more that it's "scheduled" yet no one's been told when this is. any time i think i've been able to determine when it goes down, it seems to change again. i've had countless posts eaten by the server because it goes down for maintenance while i'm typing it up.

Back
Top Bottom