The History of Interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrissybaby

Refugee
Just out of interest and with an old poster popping up, I wondered what the history of this forum was. For example, when it was formed, and who is the earliest (still posting) member.

I joined in 2002, obviously, this was when I started to use forums full stop, so i guess i must just have googled "u2 forum"... And now it's 6 years later.

Anybody got any interesting Interference facts they'd like to share? Favourite threads, how you discovered it... Surely it beats asking what Bono's email address is... :wink:

HAha! Wow, I logged in planning on starting a thread asking how everyone found interference! Spooky, but in a Rainman kind of way, not in an X-Files way...

Anyway, I found Interference in 2003, I guess (around the time the Solar rumours started popping up). I was researching for a project in Data Management, and was looking for sales stats for U2 albums. I typed it into Yahoo and this site came up. If I recall correctly, I found the info I needed, too! And thus began the long love affair I've had with Interference.

PS. I'm not sure about what the history of this place is.

I too would like to know how long this site has been around. I was visiting u2 sites since mid 90s. Although i been a member since 2001...I had been using the site before that witha different username. Used to get good craic in the chatroom way back then. Dont know if anyone uses it these days??

i remember visiting for the first time during pop, but i'm not sure how long the site has been around. so it's been around since at least 97/98. and as for how i discovered it, i had been going to a different chat room at the time, which was dying out. they found the chat room here (which is apparently now dead too) and they told me to come to this one. that was in 2000.

i remember around pop logging into u2's official site and attempting to watch a popmart show i think. they had a spinning 360 camera tool if i remember correctly... great on dial up!

I was away at college in a small town with few choices for radio stations and had no cable TV, so I needed to find somewhere to keep up with U2. It was the fall that All That You Can't Leave Behind was coming out, and I needed updates! I did an online search and found this place. I didn't register for a couple months, I just lurked and read to get a feel for the place before jumping in.

The site originally started as "The Fly's Lair" in 1994, and was renamed to 'Interference.com' in August of 1996.

In December of 1996 we leaked Discotheque.... and launched in a very limited state.

Following that... lots of underground-ish chaos erupted on a continual basis; ie. 'hacking' into U2's email server, posting server logs of what U2's management looked at, the elvis@numb.ie 'chronicles', and much much more....

Prior to the forum, most interaction took place on IRC, efnet #u2. I'm fairly sure the forum actually started in either 1999 or 2000 - I forget off hand.

I really should write out a detailed history of the site and the antics - maybe one of these days.

Joel

A few members that have been here since 2000 that still post.

Elvis of course.. :p
Alisaura
Angela Harlem
Blue Room
Bonochick
david
Diemen
doctorwho
DrTeeth
gherman
Headache in a Suitcase
ladywiththespinninghead
melon
mikal
MrPryck2U
Reggie Thee Dog
Salome
shaun vox
sulawesigirl4
U2girl
u2popmofo
UnforgettableLemon
WildHoney
Zoomerang96

Sicy said:

Alisaura
Angela Harlem
Blue Room
Bonochick
david
Diemen
doctorwho
DrTeeth
gherman
Headache in a Suitcase
ladywiththespinninghead
melon
mikal
MrPryck2U
Reggie Thee Dog
Salome
shaun vox
sulawesigirl4
U2girl
u2popmofo
UnforgettableLemon
WildHoney
Zoomerang96

The Elders. :bow: :lol:

Sicy said:

shaun vox

Has shaun always been as much of a...um...character as he is now?

Cool! I didn't know we could link our banners and such on our sigs! Now that we can, I guess I might go Premium again to get my sig back :hmm:

And :lol: at the "Elders" list. Goes to show how "young" some of these posters really are :wink:

Wow those old front pages just made me feel OLD.

If I remember right, the forum changed over and then some of us had to re-register. Even Elvis has May 2000.
That must have been the month when the forum changed.

My screen name dates to a screen name I had on AOL about 1997, so I'd figure there was an Interference forum as far back as then or maybe 1998.

Alisaura
Angela Harlem
Blue Room
Bonochick
david
Diemen
doctorwho
DrTeeth
gherman
Headache in a Suitcase
ladywiththespinninghead
melon
mikal
MrPryck2U
Reggie Thee Dog
Salome
shaun vox
sulawesigirl4
U2girl
u2popmofo
UnforgettableLemon
WildHoney
Zoomerang96

Jase
Babyface

StatisticsFriends? Statistics
Total Posts
Total Posts: 0
Posts Per Day: 0
Find all posts by Jase
Find all threads started by Jase
General Information
Last Activity: 12-31-1969 07:00 PM... :scratch:
Referrals: 0

I am still here too, just under a different name.
I lurked forever before becoming night_and_day66 in 2004.

Alisaura
Angela Harlem
Blue Room
Bonochick
david
Diemen
doctorwho
DrTeeth
gherman
Headache in a Suitcase
ladywiththespinninghead
melon
mikal
MrPryck2U
Reggie Thee Dog
Salome
shaun vox
sulawesigirl4
U2girl
u2popmofo
UnforgettableLemon
WildHoney
Zoomerang96

Ahem :shifty:

I've known about this place since at least 1997 or so. I was also probably lurking here and there back in June 2000 when this place was started. At the time, though, I was skittish about signing up for anything on the internet, so I waited until October 2000. If I remember correctly, I signed up here because of something asinine that was written in FYM. :sexywink:

Hey, still lurking around here as well - I check the place every day but it's gotten so huge and I've gotten so busy that I just can't get it together to post! I'd say once a bit more new album stuff kicks off I'll be back with plenty of opinions though I was never really a prolific contributor!! I've been trying to find a real old thread that I started about Zooropa way back in the day, it was supposed to be a track by track analysis - I think I got as far as Numb before I went off radar!! I suppose if I paid membership i'd be able to use all the search functions etc.....

This was one of the first sites I found online along with the wire mailinglist (the email version). Signed up here originally back 9/2000 under a different user name (spun), lost my login and came back later and using this account. Been in and out ever since.

Back
Top Bottom