The closing of some threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2FReAk

Acrobat
This is not ment as an insult to the mods in here, but I'm starting to question the necessitity to close some threads. The thread about J.lo and Bono's possible collaboration in the News section was just recently closed, obviously because of me. I just cannot see why. Helloangel, who closed the thread, said it had become too political and harsch. I don't think it was harsch at all compared to the hundreds of threads who IMO are harscher and still live on. Was it the namecalling of J.Lo that some of the posters took part in? You know, I have seen threads in other sections (coughPLEBAcough) which contained far worse childish verbal descriptions of persons, that weren't closed.
I agree it is childish behaviour, but if we gonna keep on censor like this, nothing will be left to discuss.
About the political aspect of the thread. Was it my stance on Bono and his 'relationship' with the US that was not acceptable in that section of the forum? Or wasn't it acceptable at all, or what? I do not understand. Is it that I should've said it in FYM 'cause that's where all the political talk belong? It's very hard to not relating to other subjects (like politics or watever) when in a section such as broad as the "News" section. what is there left to say if you're gonna keep narrowing down your opinions so they fit in the right folder?

Last edited:
i'll just weigh in with my two cents. while i'm a mod, i don't mod the news forum.

anyway, i don't believe the thread was necessarily closed because of you. for five pages, that thread mainly consisted of people constantly badmouthing jennifer lopez and saying how they hoped it was some april fool's joke. while it's all fine and well for people to say it a couple times, it got to be a bit redundant when like 70 people say it.

that forum is supposed to be a discussion of news, where articles are posted and people discuss them. it just seemed most wanted to resort to bickering and name-calling. the thread had had plenty of time to deteriorate before you last posted (which i didn't think was necessarily a bad post, imo) so i can only assume plans had already been made to close the thread as it wasn't being productive and was serving no purpose.

hope this helps! :wave:

yeah, but obvously they were feeling the same about it. there are lots of threads where people say similar things, I didn't know agreement over an issue was a valid reason to close a thread? Even if it was sort of a childish thread overall, you still need to live up to the same principles as you do with the threads that deal with more serious issues.
-Since namecalling haven't been a reason to close threads before. (the countless threads in which Naomi Campbell is being called a b*tch springs to mind), It doesn't seem logical.

Even if it would have, these sort of collective punishments really aren't cool.

and last let me just say that I was just answering another posters question when the thread suddenly got closed. She didn't get the chance to answer. how is that not a productive thread?

Last edited:
U2FReAk said:
-Since namecalling haven't been a reason to close threads before. (the countless threads in which Naomi Campbell is being called a b*tch springs to mind), It doesn't seem logical.

As a PLEBA mod, I will address this.

I remember those moments taking place...and when some gals were going too far with things, I stepped in.

Things like that do happen and sometimes go unnoticed if they are minor. But when things become excessive, that is when it is imperative that they be addressed. When the Naomi Campbell thing became excessive, action was taken. I believe that the Jennifer Lopez bashing became excessive...however, I confess, I did not read that entire thread. From what I saw though...it seemed a bit much.

To answer -

U2Freak, I did not close the thread specifically because of you.

I closed that particular thread because it had become childish in nature and people were taking a "you're wrong, it's really this" tone in their posts. There was no right or wrong answer, but it was becoming unnecesarily heated in a couple of the exchanges. I have received PMs thanking me for closing that thread, and I do not regret doing so.

As a mod, I rarely close threads. As the U2News thread is more public than most threads on the forum (prominent placement on Interference.com to those who do not know), I felt that the discussion did not need to continue in such a public and immediate fashion. As I stated in the thread closure post, discussion of that topic can continue when another news item is posted about it - hopefully when the real "truth" behind the duet comes out.

To go into detail - along with the JLo bashing, some political content entered into the fray. That political content was of a sensitive issue (ergo, Bono kissing the flag during the Elevation Tour after 9/11), and I felt that the thread would only go father downhill from there. If I was wrong or premature in closing it, I'm sorry - but I stand by my decision. If you want to continue with the discussion, perhaps in EYKIW, please feel free to do so.

Last edited:
I thought this thread would be about why multiple threads have been closed instead of focussing on just one?

I have no problem with mods explaining why in general certain threads are closed
but if mods have to explain on the forum on every single thread that has been closed we'll be here every day

a pm / email should solve stuff like this

salome, this thread can be used to discuss further on closing of threads in general. That would be ok for me, 'cause I don't feel we're getting anywhere with the J.lo thread discussion. I and the other mods obviously have different stances on censorship.
And I didn't know it mattered if I made a thread about this instead of e-mailing. I also wanted more people to see it. Why is that a problem?

Last edited:
...I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in just because I can.

Having a thread specifically for the use of complaining about closed threads really does nothing but harbor negative feelings amoung the members toward the mods. Some of the mods have a hard enough time as it is trying to keep some forums in line without having every decision they make nitpicked and critized in front of everybody.
Yes, there have been cases where people openly questioned the desicion to close a thread...however, experience has shown that those threads usually turn ugly and accomplish nothing.
Using email or pm to talk privately with that mod will give you a more honest answer. As opposed to having a mod come on and see that everyone had ganged up on him or her, which will make them more defensive, and solve nothing.

daisybean said:
...I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in just because I can.

Having a thread specifically for the use of complaining about closed threads really does nothing but harbor negative feelings amoung the members toward the mods. Some of the mods have a hard enough time as it is trying to keep some forums in line without having every decision they make nitpicked and critized in front of everybody.
Yes, there have been cases where people openly questioned the desicion to close a thread...however, experience has shown that those threads usually turn ugly and accomplish nothing.
Using email or pm to talk privately with that mod will give you a more honest answer. As opposed to having a mod come on and see that everyone had ganged up on him or her, which will make them more defensive, and solve nothing.

Daisy's right. :D

When someone opens up a new thread specifically just to find out why the thread they had been using to diss/trash/thrash/whatever an individual had been closed, it usually leads to it being closed as well because the person who was offended by the closing gets a bit on the testy side with the mods. I'm not saying you're getting testy or anything - you asked a valid question. I just think that when it gets to a point where the thread is just a big, fat dumping ground and there's no point in it being there except for people to get more and more nasty, it really shouldn't be open anymore. threads like that breed negativity, unfortunately.

Moonie :D

U2FReAk said:
censorship.

I love it when this word is tossed around like some small molotov cocktail. Whatta great buzzword for the self-righteous!

This is a voluntary, privately run fan forum. You don't have to be here, the mods don't have to be here. We've most of us had threads closed; we've gotten over it, not taken it so bloody personally, and moved on to the bigger picture of our lives.

Beating a dead horse won't win you points, and it won't get your thread reopened. The mods here take their jobs very seriously. They don't close threads without careful consideration.

It was just a J. Lo thread. It's not like anyone was saving lives and was cut down in their prime. Time to move on.

right on the money!

martha said:

This is a voluntary, privately run fan forum. You don't have to be here, the mods don't have to be here. We've most of us had threads closed; we've gotten over it, not taken it so bloody personally, and moved on to the bigger picture of our lives.

:yes: :hug:

Jeez. Tone down a bit Martha. I know it was just a silly thread, AS I SAID in my previous post. But it was a matter of principles, as I also said.

sorry but I thought this section existed to discuss how the forum is run. I thought I had the right, as a member, to question something if I thought it was wrong. still, even if it's a privately run forum, you need to work towards democratic principles?
My intention wasn't to start a hate-campaign against Helloangel :rolleyes: I think she, and the other mods do a great job in general, I really do.

U2FReAk said:
still, even if it's a privately run forum, you need to work towards democratic principles?

the privately part means it can be run however it wants to be. it does tend to take after democracy though, and no one ever said you couldn't ask why the thread was closed, even HelloAngel replied and told you exactly what happened. I'm not sure what else you're looking for :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom