Should Postcounts Be Switched Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Postcounts Be Switched Off?

• Yes

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • In certain forums (please define in thread)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I don't mind/care/not applicable/brindle dolphin undies

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Why are posts counted? What is the point, please? For those who aren't aware everytime a user posts the number of posts displayed under their avatar/picture/icon increases ie their postcount increases

I have seen peoples opinions ripped to shreds because the user has a single digit postcount. I have also witnessed people getting stuck into users with high postcounts.

Participants in long chain threads (eg chat threads, game threads) cop a bit of flak for "postwhoring" with the apparent goal of increasing their postcount. Is this really the case? Or do some people just "talk" more than others?

What is your view on Interference turning off the postcounter?

NB. I haven't asked Elvis if he even wants to/or is able to disable the postcounter . Theres a few of us trying to gauge the "popularity" of this concept.

All opinions welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm stuck between Yes, or In Certain Forums. To be honest I dont care either way. They dont hinder or improve posting on here. Replies are still made, so why bother?

I think I shall vote yes, turn em off. But IO for sure needs em switched off.

:wink:

i'm gonna vote dont care.
not because i dont actually care about the topic on hand but because i dont think post counts should matter.
personally i like keeping track of my own post count and hitting "mile stones" but i also dont like the generalisation that goes with high/low post counts ie: low = you dont know what you're talking about, high = you have no life.

so i'm neither here nor there on this but i personally don't care what your post count is because i'm not the kind of person to call you stupid because you've only posted 3 times. i dont think it should matter therefore i vote "dont care2

did that make sense - its monday after all and i'm rambling

I voted for Brindle Dolphin Undies, beacause it's the law :up:

but to tell the truth, I think post counts are a waste of time. There is too much bullying because of them, and moronic post whoring.

then again, getting rid of post counts won't get rid of any of the stuff that really irritates me on here, so in the great scheme of things, I don't really give a wotsit.

:D

beli said:
Participants in long chain threads (eg chat threads, game threads) cop a bit of flak for "postwhoring" with the apparent

:laugh:
Postwhoring!! What a great word!:wink:

I voted that I dont mind! I always enjoy this spot on the fence!

I really don't care. I sort of think postcounts are fun as long as you don't take them too seriously. Sort of like alot of other things in life.

Verte is right...but then again, I'd feel a lot better if I never had to see my postcount ever again. :yikes:

:: has over 1500 posts in almost 2 months, all the Octagon's fault ::

I like postcounts.

If you all don't like them, let's ban those "Describe Randooooom Octagon Testje Band Name Game" threads.

As for people's confidence with low post counts, that won't change with them disabled. I think that's really peripheral to the fact that this forum can have a lot of cliques and that some newbies say some pretty stupid things that are easy to make fun of (to make it clear: some newbies do this; others can be really cool and most of these end up with large postcounts soon enough).

With all the forums out there, it's all about "the right fit." I've tried other forums before, and a couple of them fit, while others didn't. We can't expect everyone to assimilate here, because I think that's just reality.

Melon

Last edited:
On the fence.

They do come in useful. When someone comes in and makes a hugely inappropriate remark, I tend to lay off them when I realize they have 3 posts, they don't know better.

Then again some choose not to be so nice and will devalue someone's opinion because they only have 10 posts.

But then there are also those that wear their counts like a badge and think their high counts make their opinion more valuable.

Turn 'em off. Who cares? I mean, in real life do we wear badges that say "I've spoken 3875891873 times since mm/yyy"? Besides, post counts are pretty subjective. I could go into every thread and post "meh" and get like 1200 more posts in 50 minutes and feel oh so cool... :rolleyes:

I thought post counts were here (including date of signup) to tell people who might be a troll and who has been around. I used to not care about my post count but nowadays, I actually look at it and pat myself on the back. J/K

Sure this predjudice on both sides and post count arguments can be pretty childish but I've gotten used to it. However, if they decide to change the policy, I could care less. Change can be good.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I could go into every thread and post "meh" and get like 1200 more posts in 50 minutes and feel oh so cool... :rolleyes:

I see you have never experienced the flood control on this site... :tsk:

:sexywink:

F/C :madspit:

Post counts are a part of message boards.. have been for years and years. Boards would be kind of lame without post counts :shrug:

I wouldnt mind turning them off in the chat threads, though physically I dont think its possible.

i'm not even going to vote.

that's how much i care.

sorry beli, ang. nothing personal. just a peaceful demonstration. :hug:

Sicy said:
Post counts are a part of message boards.. have been for years and years. Boards would be kind of lame without post counts :shrug:

I really agree with you there. I actually like seeing how many posts I have, and I'm not upset that people have far more than I do.

It's an interesting statistic that I enjoy looking at.

Melon

melon said:

I actually like seeing how many posts I have, and I'm not upset that people have far more than I do.
I still think that every melon post should be equal to ten regular posts.

I voted don't care, as I'm not gonna cry either way. Having them does let me see how pitiful my life has become though. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom