Premium Membership Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually like not having to monitor signatures anymore. It was really a pain to have to pay attention to everyone's sigs on top of everything else we have to pay attention to. Not to mention we'd always get pm's like 'How come so and so gets to have this huge sig and you told me I had to change mine'. I think the new way is best, plus then the members dont have to worry about having to resize it to fit a certain dimension. The system does it for you. I'm sure Andy can eventually figure out a way to make the last fm stuff work.
Okay, can mods override the new system. Could Last.FM sigs be added manually by mods, for users who want to have them? It's more work, but it could be done at the chosen pace of the mods, via a request thread.

The way the system's software is set up, it will not 'update' the last fm information so no right now that's not possible, otherwise I wouldn't mind doing that.

Until a solution is found, maybe you could put it in your journal?

Unacceptable, I don't want to have to go searching journals to know what people are listening to. I think a thread is in order...I know we have a what are you listening to NOW thread, but not one that says what are the LAST FEW songs you've listened to THESE PAST FEW MINUTES.

Know wha' ah mean love?

i'm not 100% on this, but i think anyone can post an attachment, but only premiums can see them.

Thanks for the answer, but that is completely backwards to what it should be. (I run a vBulletin board with a "premium" membership too)

It should be Premium can attach, anyone can see. I understand the argument that it takes bandwidth to view them, but by limiting it to Premium people, you make it a desired feature so they don't need external hosting. But when a Mod/Andy wants to show people a feature/screenshot/whatever, you limit who can see it.
And the really storage/bandwidth is only being CAUSED by the premium members then.

I really appreciate the ad-free thing, although there's one thing I mentioned in a Stuck in a Moment thread that I'd like to see some thinking about:

I paid $37 for an account and I still can't edit my posts an hour or so after making them, whereas I can do this on other forums for free.

HELP

I really don't understand why we're incapable of doing this. It can be very useful, and I've never seen any problems with it on other forums. I mean, unless it's tradition or something.

I really appreciate the ad-free thing, although there's one thing I mentioned in a Stuck in a Moment thread that I'd like to see some thinking about:

I really don't understand why we're incapable of doing this. It can be very useful, and I've never seen any problems with it on other forums. I mean, unless it's tradition or something.

Agreed. I hate looking back at a post I made just an hour ago and noticing an error. An hour isn't a long time at all. A few of the forums I frequent, you are able to edit your posts for up to 30 days after the posting date, then you can no longer edit it. I know Interference isn't other forums, but I don't see the harm in having a longer period of time to edit your posts. Wouldn't have to post again if you have another point to add to a debate that you think of an hour later, for example.

Well, in addition to that, there's a bunch of really old posts(from 2005/2006) that I wanted to delete a while back. I had to do this trough the admins. Is there a way to make us able to edit or delete posts that are older than, a year or so?

This discussion comes up often on the various forums I work with. Unfortunately this is a case where a few apples spoil the bunch. We have had repeated cases in the past where members go back and change things in a way that disrupts the discussions and ends up with members fighting about who said what and who changed what and when. It's a real pain, so unfortunately this setting (which has been in place for years) is going to stay the same way.

On other sites we have increased this to 24 hours or even 48 hours to let members go back and edit and it's worked pretty well. Only on one site was it abused during a flame war and then we had to revert back to the hour edit limit. The mod/admin team will talk this over (they are the ones who have to mop up the mess if it happens) and report back.

As for deleting old posts, you will need to discuss that with an Admin.

This discussion comes up often on the various forums I work with. Unfortunately this is a case where a few apples spoil the bunch. We have had repeated cases in the past where members go back and change things in a way that disrupts the discussions and ends up with members fighting about who said what and who changed what and when. It's a real pain, so unfortunately this setting (which has been in place for years) is going to stay the same way.

On other sites we have increased this to 24 hours or even 48 hours to let members go back and edit and it's worked pretty well. Only on one site was it abused during a flame war and then we had to revert back to the hour edit limit. The mod/admin team will talk this over (they are the ones who have to mop up the mess if it happens) and report back.

As for deleting old posts, you will need to discuss that with an Admin.

I understand, however I think there's a risk to take with more or less every feature on a forum. I don't think editing a post later would disrupt a conversation anymore than an avatar change would get rid of the context in a discussion about someone's avatar. What I mean is that more often than not - in fact, pretty much always - editing a post later isn't going to turn out into the situation you describe.

It's unfortunate you talk about this flame war on another forum. I think Interference is the first forum I've ever been on without the feature of editing a post afterwards, and from all that time, I've never seen the feature abused. It's just taken for granted.

Deleting entire posts is a whole different cookie, though. That varies a lot from forum to forum, and personally I don't think that's a particularly essential addition.

The mods have discussed this issue and we've unanimously decided that it would be best to leave the editing time as is. An hour is long enough to make changes to your post or edit any typos. From a mod standpoint, there are simply far too many cons and really no pros. We simply feel that extending the time would just open up a bigger window for abuse and/or disruption of the flow of threads. I personally have no problems editing posts for members for legitimate reasons, and I'm sure the other mods don't either. You can still contact a mod if you need something edited or deleted and we will be more than happy to help.

I personally have no problems editing posts for members for legitimate reasons, and I'm sure the other mods don't either. You can still contact a mod if you need something edited or deleted and we will be more than happy to help.
yeah, i just want to second this. i've no problems editing posts, and if you want me to close a thread, well, anyone should know i'm all too happy to do that!

Premiums are the only members who can post and view attachments.

That is silly then to post things to try and "sell" folks on getting premium if they can't see it.

I run a board too, and understand the bandwidth issue, but if only premiums can POST it shouldn't be too bad...whatever...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought andy might see it here.

I know I've been fairly vocal in my feelings about the ads, and while thanks to the wonders of premium member gold, when I'm at home I no longer have to look at them. I do hope that I can perhaps be more helpful towards finding a solution, than just being a complainer.

I just happened upon this today. I know it's targeted towards webcomics, but I'm sure the comments are broadly applicable. Perhaps you all have already explored all these options. I don't know.

But since Andy has said the google ads have been a poor revenue generator (which is confirmed by this article), perhaps exploring other options would be beneficial and more profitable.

Maybe it makes no difference since I imagine interland gets significantly more page views than these sites, but I thought I would share anyway. Maybe the google ad rates you get are higher than those you could get on these other sites, I don't know. But since you suggest that google ads aren't working out cause no one clicks, maybe these options might work out better (where people bid, or where it's based on views more than clicks).

Calamities of Nature - Online Ad Service Review and Tutorial

Ideally, maybe this could result in fewer ads - and then maybe they wouldn't be so annoying and ugly, and then maybe people wouldnt choose to block them (if they have that option) and then you would have even more views. And perhaps happier people.
Who knows.

And if this is just a repeat of things you already know and have thought about, then my apologies for wasting your time.

:wave:

Thanks for posting that Brightest Star.

We are currently using ADSDAQ and Google AdSense. Hopefully we can get into some more relevant ad networks like indieclick or MOG - Discover people through music and music through people but so far I have not had any luck getting into either of those networks. We are still operating at a loss but hopefully our upgraded members will renew their upgrades and then we should be able to break even (hopefully).

I just reupped my premium as silver rather than gold. I want to switch to gold. I didn't realize silver only got me space for 25 PMs. What should I do?

I will pm you (do you have space?). You will probably have to send the remainder of the payment manually.

I will pm you (do you have space?). You will probably have to send the remainder of the payment manually.

Sicy, I did as you instructed. Couldn't PM you back because of my full inbox. Will that space be freed up again without me having to delete messages once my payment is processed?

Thanks.. I've taken care of everything for you now. You do not have to delete any pm's.

:) Hi . . . I renewed my membership early last week from silver to gold (huzzah :D ), payment went through and all is good . . . but got an email today saying that my membership was about to expire . . . am sure its just an automatically generated thing as I think my initial silver membership was due to expire around the 14th of this month . . . but just want to make sure things don't go pear shaped on me . . . am LOVING no ads :) . . . let me know if you need any additional info etc . . . ta much x k

Back
Top Bottom